Rising of the Shield hero/ Obsessed 🤣

Seshi

Thoughts after watching episode 17

Have to admit to feeling a little let down after last weeks tension seems to have been largely bluster. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad no one died or got seriously hurt, but it just made a lot of last week seem like posturing. FQ was clearly barely trying in her fight with Filo, but I suspect it wasn't just measuring her strength, but also her devotion to Naofumi, which went a long way in convincing her that he's a good person. Have to admit I'm scratching my head a bit over the comments she makes about there apparently being two ways to survive the waves, but one coming at a higher cost. Will have to wait until next week, but I suspect Myne or The Church are responsible for what happen to Sword & Bow at the end. It seems unlikely that they're dead given how prominent they are in the OP, but it also shows a guy with an axe so ... possible replacement? I have a bad feeling the one Naofumi is going to have to try to make peace with first is Spear guy, which isn't going to be pretty, if it's even possible

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

First off episode 17 was everything, and more then I was expecting.

Spoiler

I loved the character development from well all of them really. Though one thing I have to say I am really liking is just how deep we're getting in terms of the 4 heroes true roles, and just how messed up the king has allowed it to get. I am still hoping the Queen steps in, and messes up him something fierce though it dose not look like that is going to happen. The otter Queen the one who says she may need to kill the 4 heroes is also really cool. I like her powers, and just the role she seems to play. 

Honestly the show is going great so far fewer, and fewer complements from me as we continue on this hella epic journey.

• Like 1

The latest two episodes kinda raised a couple of questions for me.

Spoiler

Why is Fitoria so insistent on all Heroes fighting together? I do understand the idea that the upcoming battle is going to be rough, but still it seems like there's more behind it. Also, if the waves are happening in multiple places, how much destruction must have occurred in other places? I guess they are all bound to fight together but I'm still wondering how it'll all happen.

Even though this was kind of a sidetrack, I still found it interesting!

Edited by Illusion of Terra

15 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

The latest two episodes kinda raised a couple of questions for me.

Hide contents

Why is Fitoria so insistent on all Heroes fighting together? I do understand the idea that the upcoming battle is going to be rough, but still it seems like there's more behind it. Also, if the waves are happening in multiple places, how much destruction must have occurred in other places? I guess they are all bound to fight together but I'm still wondering how it'll all happen.

Even though this was kind of a sidetrack, I still found it interesting!

That’s a really good point, she says the hero’s all have to work together to defeat the coming waves, yet they were told at the beginning that they can not work together, that their weapons keep each other from doing well if they try to work together? Was that just a ploy from the king? I thought it was somehow confirmed. But now I want to watch ep 1 again.

• Like 1

Got done watching episode 18 dubbed on FUNimation, who has a queue that is more reliable than Crunchy's, and found it a little interesting.

I expect the spear hero's redemption arc to start up soon, due the events that occurred.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:06 AM, Seshi said:

That’s a really good point, she says the hero’s all have to work together to defeat the coming waves, yet they were told at the beginning that they can not work together, that their weapons keep each other from doing well if they try to work together? Was that just a ploy from the king? I thought it was somehow confirmed. But now I want to watch ep 1 again.

I do not think it was a ploy, at least perpetrated by the king, if this week's episode is anything to go by, the mastermind is the pope.

• Like 2

I liked this weeks episode!

Spoiler

I don't think the other two heroes are really dead, at least I hope they aren't. But I really think it's interesting to see how the pope justifies his actions (and not too far off from what people really did in the past or still do). I am kind of wondering what his end plan is. Replace the kind sure, but then? Simply become a pope king and try and destroy the waves himself?

Also the combo between Filo and Melty was awesome!

• Like 1

Yep.. that was very dumb wasn’t it. I like the design of the show when it’s not involving the other hero’s. Melty is a constant nuisance. But right! The plot will take a lot of time to understand and may even be full of holes. We will see

I can buy the idea that The Church would stab Myne in the back once she's outlived her usefulness in their plot, but I'm gonna have a major problem if they try to pass it off as her just being "misunderstood". Spear gets some leniency on account of being a prideful gullible fool, but they've shown Myne scheming & manipulating people since episode 1. Making her one of the most hated characters in anime for 18 episodes and then trying to portray her as a victim isn't complex characterization, it's just sloppy.

@Illusion of Terra said, I don't think Sword & Bow are dead, since they practically admitted to not seeing the bodies. And wonder if The Pope actually has a plan or there's just going with the trope of religious types being raving lunatics who want to see the world burn. The show has so much potential, but there are times when it feels like it's going off the rails. Gonna see it through to the end of the season regardless & hope it gets back on track somewhat

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:
  Hide contents

said, I don't think Sword & Bow are dead, since they practically admitted to not seeing the bodies. And wonder if The Pope actually has a plan or there's just going with the trope of religious types being raving lunatics who want to see the world burn.

I don't think he has a master scheme in the end, it'll probably just be the whole religious leader being 'overly ambitious' (to put it very mildly). I do find that a bit stereotypical or overly used but then again there are people like that so it might not be too far off. But I'd want some more complexity in that character as well.

4 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Possibly unpopular opinion but nonetheless

Reveal hidden contents

I hate to say I'm enjoying this anime because I've been frustrated with what has honestly felt like an idiot plot driving it. Sure- they have treated him like a black sheep since the beginning, and there has even been acknowledgment that it makes no sense to do that. Sword and Bow seem a little less radical than Spear, and maybe that could be blamed on the influence Malty seems to have over him. But the fact that all of them seem to just accept that he's somehow bad, with no justification for it whatsoever except the king told them so, makes absolutely no sense at all unless they were all under some kind of mind-altering spell. This last episode has really done it in for me. Both Spear AND Malty actually seem surprised to learn that Naofumi was innocent. It wasn't some spell. They are just that stupid.

I can see what you are talking about, but believe it or not, you have some real idiots in society too that will believe anything. For the most part, each of the heroes come from a different part of Japan and were thrown into a new world they have little, if any, experience with.

But yeah, after a while it does get annoying.

• Silly 1

4 hours ago, Wedgy said:

if we as the audience could sympathise with his enemies, as you would expect out of any well developed character. A character's flaw being that they are hopelessly stupid is disappointing to say the least. 

As someone who is stupid as well, I can identify with them just fine 😂

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, Wedgy said:

if we as the audience could sympathise with his enemies, as you would expect out of any well developed character. A character's flaw being that they are hopelessly stupid is disappointing to say the least. 

Yeah, though the perspective will need to be changed to third person omniscient or something like. Most of the time, we are following Naofumi and his party.

I definitely wish there was more characterization in some respects, but things end up not being that great if you expand things out to more people.

For now, I think we will get some sort of redemption for the spear hero soon, though probably not until season 2, since we are at episode 18, which leaves only six episodes left for the current run.

Despite some recent disappointments with the series, I try to keep an overall positive view on it, but saw a couple recent articles:

The first says that there will be a 2 week delay on the english dub through the remainder of the season (article lists projected air dates for the dub). While that doesn’t affect me directly since I watch the sub, I know several people posting here watch the dub. So hate to be the bearer of bad news, but will make sure to spoiler wrap my commentary.  https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-05-15/the-rising-of-the-shield-hero-anime-english-dub-to-have-2-week-delay/.146704

The second article was this https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/05/14-1/makoto-takahashi-kaito-ishikawa-to-reprise-their-roles-in-the-spear-hero-drama-cd As if the idea of a series focusing on that tool Spear Hero wasn’t infuriating enough, that pic with Filo makes me want to 🤮. Can’t believe this is an actual thing, not doujinshi.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

Yeah, I heard about the delay. I actually started watching it subbed (I didn't know there was a dub) but have been watching the dub for the last 10 episodes or so. Maybe I'll switch to the sub version again (if most here also watch it subbed, just so I can add my two cents 😂)

I'm not even gonna comment on that spear hero thing, just don't (seriously though, what the heck)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ohiotaku said:

The first says that there will be a 2 week delay on the english dub through the remainder of the season (article lists projected air dates for the dub). While that doesn’t affect me directly since I watch the sub, I know several people posting here watch the dub. So hate to be the bearer of bad news, but will make sure to spoiler wrap my commentary.  https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-05-15/the-rising-of-the-shield-hero-anime-english-dub-to-have-2-week-delay/.146704

I heard about the delay and I am not really that pleased with it. If the dubs were delayed by two weeks from the beginning, like FUNimation has done for pretty much every series in the past, except My Hero Academia, I would have been pleased, but this is just disappointing, since I would want to watch this, even if I had a headache.

However, that article is a little inaccurate. It says the dub for episode 19 is the 19th, but the 19th is not even a Wednesday. Plus, according to the series page on Crunchyroll, the episode 19 dub is scheduled for the 29th, so the true schedule will be as follows:

19 - 5/29

20 - 6/5

21 - 6/12

22 - 6/19

23 - 6/26

24 - 7/3

25 - 7/10

So far, only the first of those was wrong in the article you linked.

This was a little more accurate and even has a link to the Crunchyroll article.

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/05/14/the-rising-of-the-shield-hero-english-dub-delay-release-schedule-change/

All I can say though is that I am glad I am not watching the series on Crunchyroll anymore (I hate how Crunchyroll keeps telling me the next episode is the pilot episode, rather than just staying at the most recent episode and marking it as watched)

Edited by brycec
  • Like 1

Episode 19:

while setting the stage for what has the makings to be an epic clash, the primary focus seemed to be on ironing out some of the rough spots with the story over the past couple weeks and it manages to do a decent job of it IMO.

So the Pope does have a trump card and could conceivably think he has a chance against the waves if he can get enough “believers”, but the way he keeps spewing rhetoric makes it seem like it’s mostly fanaticism. The other Heroes attitude of “Oops, we made a mistake. No hard feelings, right?” Is a bit too convenient (especially Spear) and I still don’t trust Myne, though the fact that Pope tried to kill her will most likely get her to behave in the short term. Naofumi’s unwillingness to let them off that easily is perfectly understandable as he goes into a rather lengthy lecture about all their screw-ups. I still don’t like his “I don’t need you attitude though”. Hopefully the truce this time will give them a better teamwork than against Glass

• Like 1

You know how when you play a video game and you have enemies who are meant to appear at a certain time to challenge wether or not you were meant to keep playing the game? Or to bring about certain events to bring a party together?

This is cool seeing these recent enemies of the gamelike world come together recently to encourage the hero’s to fight together. 

It’s like, if they hadn’t made so many errors, perhaps the game would have gone differently (as in a game like fable) but since the hero’s (players) screwed up so badly, they created their own enemies that perhaps wouldn’t have come about otherwise. This is so interesting 😄

I think a big part of what Naofumi was trying to get through the other heroes’ heads was that they’ve been approaching the whole thing as a game. Not surprising since at the outset they ridicule Naofumi for not being familiar with the game this world apparently resembles. They assume that once they meet the “clear” conditions for a quest/stage they can just move on.  That the King and Princess who summon the heroes are automatically good people.  That the class with no offensive abilities is the weakest. They need to change their way they of thinking If they want to survive. But of course Naofumi needs to realize that sometimes accomplishing something means having to work with people you don’t get along with. Doesn’t mean you’re not careful about how much you trust them, but if you go out of your way to piss them off, as you said they can become enemies snd sabotage your efforts 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

Quite an interesting episode

Spoiler

The priest seems a bit out of his mind but I thought the idea with a weapon imitating the hero's weapons was a decent idea. I'm not sure I agree with Naofumi's critique of Spear Hero though. Don't get me wrong, I still think Spear Hero is a tool, but Naofumi wanted him to double check what his party member's told him. Shouldn't the heroes be able to trust their party members? I think Spear Hero's situation was a bit more tricky, although I agree that he could have at least listened to Naofumi's defense first instead. Anyway, even though I'm not a Spear Hero fan, I'm a bit more lenient towards him.

What I also didn't really get was why they were all so surprised about the cathedral. Yeah it is huge and impressive, but it doesn't look like something that will attack the Heroes.

So... spear hero did exactly what Naofumi did that ironically put him in the position he was in during the beginning of the show - trusting Myne, it’s ironic that spear hero would say all he did was trust his party members. Well that’s all Naofumi did too, and it got him framed. After that, he learned to think for himself. If the spear hero would listen to that - he’d realize that he was even more at fault, just like Naofumi said. He could have learned from others mistakes- but he trusted Myne over Naofumi.

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1

@Seshi I'll have to argue on Spear Hero's behalf here, never thought I'd do that though 😂 Naofumi trusted Myne blindly and she betrayed him. However, Spear Hero could not have learned from that at that point in time, because Spear Hero thought that Myne never betrayed Naofumi but the other way around. Now, you can say that Spear Hero could have learned from (what he thought to be) Myne's mistake and blindly trust Naofumi which led to her being sexually assaulted. But then again he might not have had any reason to doubt Myne, who he simply took to be a victim of Naofumi. I still think his position was bit difficult. Distrust in a party is not advantageous, especially when you have to rely on each other in life and death situations. Still, like I said he should have listened to Naofumi's defense at multiple points in time.

I think what we can all agree on, though, is that Myne was wretched through and through.

• Like 1

Just that, he did have multiple Opportunities to listen to the Shield hero.. who he should have sided with in the beginning based on their mutual bond as hero’s (IMO) if they didn’t have mistrust for each other as hero’s they would have never been divided this whole time. Granted, the accusations were very serious, but that doesn’t mean they should have ignored his plea of innocence even as there was no actual evidence of wrongdoing and they didn’t even do an investigation or character evaluation.

By and large the ones who should get the most flack are those who accuse an innocent man

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's true, their reactions at the start were not very wise. I also think they didn't take someone with a shield for a weapon seriously. Well, let's see if they learn from it, although in Spear Hero's case I wouldn't be so sure 😂

• Like 1