Rising of the Shield hero/ Obsessed 🤣

Seshi

1 hour ago, brycec said:

I am kind of sad I cannot keep up with you guys, due to the dub being two episodes behind.

Reveal hidden contents

Who knows, @Seshi. The only thing I am aware of if that blessed/holy equipment is supposed to show in the future, mostly likely season 2, if I had to guess.

You know what. Since Seshi and Ohiotaku are both watching the sub version, I'll just watch the dub so we have two people who watch the sub and can comment before, and two people who watch the dub and can comment afterwards and also look what the sub people commented. So I have watched episode 22 in sub, and will wait for the next one as a dub.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

1 minute ago, Illusion of Terra said:

You know what. Since Seshi and Ohiotaku are both watching the sub version, I'll just watch the dub so we have two people who watch the sub and can comment before, and two people who watch the dub and can comment afterwards and also look what the sub people commented. So I have watched episode 22 in sub, and will wait for the next one as a dub.

Sounds like a good idea, though I hope we do not get things mixed up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, brycec said:

Sounds like a good idea, though I hope we do not get things mixed up.

Good thing I’m posting ahead, I never look at the episode number so I’d be lost for sure 🤣

• Like 1

There are a few anime dubs that are fine, like cowboy bebop and ghost in the shell. Other then that, some reason its really hard to find good voice actors. People have to understand when you are voice acting you have to have emotion when you are acting and talking. You can't just talk like a robot. Just raising your voice louder, isn't acting. 

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

People have to understand when you are voice acting you have to have emotion when you are acting and talking. You can't just talk like a robot. Just raising your voice louder, isn't acting. 

I think this goes for any work of animation and language.

However, I am sure this is a problem in Japan too, though many of us would not be able to tell so easily, with it being in another language.

Also, do not forget that people express emotion in different ways, so the emotion given has to match what the character expresses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brycec said:

I think this goes for any work of animation and language.

However, I am sure this is a problem in Japan too, though many of us would not be able to tell so easily, with it being in another language.

Also, do not forget that people express emotion in different ways, so the emotion given has to match what the character expresses.

I think its just people wanting to be cheap and not hire real voice actors, and instead they think they can save money by hiring some people to voice act who have never voice acted before. You can tell the voice actors in cowboy bebop and ghost in the shell had some talent 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

I think its just people wanting to be cheap and not hire real voice actors, and instead they think they can save money by hiring some people to voice act who have never voice acted before. You can tell the voice actors in cowboy bebop and ghost in the shell had some talent 

That or they never acted in any capacity before, since I hear that many, though not all, voice actors have had experience in theater or something similar.

The cheap move makes sense though, as companies are trying to reduce their own expenses, though with the prices Aniplex of America charges, they can probably hire better actors than those who do dubs for people like FUNimation and Sentai Filmworks, who aim for a bigger audience than Aniplex.

8 hours ago, Seshi said:

I think the dub for Rising of the Shield hero is exceptional

@Serge heartless have you seen the dub on Slam Dunk? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

its more of a joke. It turned the whole anime into something parody worthy

I don't really watch sports animes, but anime dubs always have been bad since the 80s. It reminds me of like Voltron or speed racer, and had trash for dubs. Though a lot of American cartoons don't have this problem. 

10 hours ago, Serge heartless said:

I don't really watch sports animes, but anime dubs always have been bad since the 80s. It reminds me of like Voltron or speed racer, and had trash for dubs. Though a lot of American cartoons don't have this problem. 

I was irritated with CPM’s dub of one of the Yu Yu Hakusho movies, but dubs have gotten pretty good lately though, like the Yu Yu Hakusho dub, and more recently Shield Hero.

Edited by brycec

I didn't think the Yu Yu Hakusho dub was good also, I didn't watch the OVA yet. Though the old Yu Yu Hakusho dubs were trying to be more comedy, then serious, and completely changed what they said. You know Americans can't handle cussing at all. Even though kids cuss all the time at school. 

• Funny 1

30 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

You know Americans can't handle cussing at all. Even though kids cuss all the time at school. 

Americans are getting better at accepting that, but the Japanese do not cussing too often, if at all. From what I have heard, it is more of how things are delivered than the words themselves. Most of the profanity found is from the translations, though profanity does not really add things all the the time.

Have you ever seen profanity used improperly? I certainly have, just like I have seen instances in which it can be used to bring out emotion fully when it is important. How often it is used in every day life and how it is used really kills any meaning that it really had in my eyes.

41 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

I didn't think the Yu Yu Hakusho dub was good also, I didn't watch the OVA yet. Though the old Yu Yu Hakusho dubs were trying to be more comedy, then serious, and completely changed what they said.

I see. I kind of view the CPM dub bad though because it was not just the voices, but the way things were recorded or implemented does really help immerse me in the thing. Yes, they were quite old dubs, but CPM's dub in pretty much everything, except maybe translation accuracy, which I cannot judge too well, of Slayers was a whole better.

As for the OVA stuff, it really was not that enjoyable, since some of them I saw ended up only be recap stuff.

Hey guys, can you please continue this specific dub/ translation conversation in the anime Chit-chat thread perhaps? Or even make your own thread about the dubs being crap 💩😜 @Serge heartless and @brycec

—-

Reminder to Keep things going in the rising of the Shield hero convo here. Thank you!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Hey guys, can you please continue this specific dub/ translation conversation in the anime Chit-chat thread perhaps? Or even make your own thread about the dubs being crap 💩😜 @Serge heartless and @brycec

We'll try. I was going to suggest it if they continued, since there were things they did not seem to get that I did not feel like getting into here.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Serge heartless said:

I think shield hero would have been better with out the lolis. Some reason lolis tend to be annoying in every anime. 

Sadly, I think that is like that because, Shield Hero, like other anime made today, panders to the average otaku, since that is where their money comes from.

It is a good series, and does not try to create a fantasy that certain other anime do, but they are still doing it make money.

• Like 1

im not sure about that, seeing how boku no hero, one piece, attack on titan are some of the biggest animes, and don't have lolis. Shield hero would have been fine without them.  Also I don't like the idea of making underage characters who look like they are 10 sexual. Its just as bad as the incest animes 

• Agree 2

The next wave is in two days.. The characters need new equipment.. And @WedgyI think you're onto something with L'Arc being involved in the waves.

I think after Naofumi used his shields special moves, his real identity was confirmed, and they saw that he was truly the shield hero. So they decided to part ways, instead of teaming up after that, leading me to believe that they will be the opponent come the next wave... All speculation of course. It doesn't make too much sense as of yet. It will be good to finally see more backstory on the wave enemies and what their intentions are for teaming up against the heroes.

One thing that has me perplexed on the exact intention of the opposition... L'Arc seems to care for the people of the world, and not want them to perish, so if they truly do want to defeat the heroes, and are perhaps just using the waves as a means to that end.. I have to wonder why.

Edited by Seshi

Looks like a hero to me, most likely the same as the fan user.

Not sure how things have gone in the light novel, though there are said to be differences between the original work and official work, but

An avatar of the one behind the waves has already been introduced in this series, before we even knew it.

Anyway, I just watched episode 21, and I was majorly disappointed. It was not bad, but I really wanted to see some blood from at least one of the people that deserved death, especially since the decision was initially execution.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brycec said:

Looks like a hero to me, most likely the same as the fan user.

Not sure how things have gone in the light novel, though there are said to be differences between the original work and official work, but

Hide contents

An avatar of the one behind the waves has already been introduced in this series, before we even knew it.

Anyway, I just watched episode 21, and I was majorly disappointed. It was not bad, but I really wanted to see some blood from at least one of the people that deserved death, especially since the decision was initially execution.

I really thought the same for them.. Much too light of a punishment. They should have been banished at least.

40 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I really thought the same for them.. Much too light of a punishment. They should have been banished at least.

Banishment/exile could work, but they might stir up others. After all, the the heroes cult still had people on the run, so death works better.

Of course, I could have accepted things better if it was Naofumi who demanded execution and the queen negotiated things down to giving them demeaning names, which was what I was hoping it would be.

Edited by brycec