What are mittens good for?!

Seshi

Seriously.. I am a parent to a toddler, so I get things given to me by well meaning relatives, and MITTENS... I now have these adorable well meaning hand warming devices, but as soon as my daughter has to pick something up and actually use her hands, she decides she'd rather have frozen fingers than be trapped in these things 🤣🤣 what on earth, who created these things and why.. someone tell me.

They are warm and snugly. :) Though in all seriousness they are basically cheep cloves. Though with that ssaid some people including me say they are somewhat warmer than gloves due to have more of a open yet trapped space for heat warming your hands more than cloves. Also most cloves aren't exactly dexterous which is the point. 

In the end its all about whats most comfortable for you.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

As a person who suffers from Raynauds (basically, the capillaries in my extremeties like to stop working when triggered by cold, certain textures, eating/drinking certain foods), I can say I gladly use mittens over gloves every day in the winter.  It doesn't hurt my dexterity at all.  Only issue I have is finding an affordable pair that also has "phone skin" over the index finger so I can still reasonably use my phone.  Gloves give you no warmth whatsoever.  I used gloves for a long time because I couldn't find any mittens for adults (in recent years they made a comeback YAY!) and it was pointless.  I suffered corpse fingers anyways with them. 

Mittens though, I never get the corpse fingers (a Raynaud's flare essentially) and that makes me happy ^_^  I was not built for cold.  That is why mittens exist.  They exist for people who like being warm. 

I'm also fairly certain that in the olden days, gloves would have required a lot of planning and mittens were easier to sew/knit.  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Beocat said:

As a person who suffers from Raynauds (basically, the capillaries in my extremeties like to stop working when triggered by cold, certain textures, eating/drinking certain foods), I can say I gladly use mittens over gloves every day in the winter.  It doesn't hurt my dexterity at all.  Only issue I have is finding an affordable pair that also has "phone skin" over the index finger so I can still reasonably use my phone.  Gloves give you no warmth whatsoever.  I used gloves for a long time because I couldn't find any mittens for adults (in recent years they made a comeback YAY!) and it was pointless.  I suffered corpse fingers anyways with them. 

Mittens though, I never get the corpse fingers (a Raynaud's flare essentially) and that makes me happy ^_^  I was not built for cold.  That is why mittens exist.  They exist for people who like being warm. 

I'm also fairly certain that in the olden days, gloves would have required a lot of planning and mittens were easier to sew/knit.  ;) 

I have Raynaud syndrom too (maybe inherited it from my grandmother who had CREST) and know that feeling. I usually wear mittens and stuff my hands in my pockets, hoping that I don't have to use them... and my hands don't seem to like keyboards considering how angrily blue they turn....

So, basically I wear them when it's cold outside and hope I don't have to use my hands for anything meticulous :P A shame, since I like the cold seasons and love wandering in the cold....

2 hours ago, Seshi said:

I guess they are fine if you like.. live in Alaska or something 🤣

Im in NC, and it's not really cold enough for them to make sense to me.

Yah its a bit warmer there. If it snows everything shuts down for the first flake. Though it is understandable, and gloves do give you better handling of tools, and objects.