How did you find Anime Forums?

Illusion of Terra

I know some people have been registered here for years and some are new. But how did everyone find Anime Forums?

I wanted to watch some anime and talk about it which is why I went to Crunchyroll at first, for obvious reasons I guess. But I didn't really like the community there, so I simply searched for "anime forum" and stumbled upon this and thought it looked pretty interesting. I was right!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HanaApril said:

I just searched "anime forums" and this popped up on the list of anime related forums. I have to say this place is much better ( friendly ) than any forum I've been on, my opinion. 

Ditto as far as how I found out about this place.

Previously I had only discussed anime on another smaller scale site where I was a member for about 10 years. Unfortunately activity has been declining for several years as the original company (Anime Nation) went out of business. Rightstuf took over sponsoring but unfortunately they decided to pull the plug recently. Fortunately some members started a Patreon account to keep things going and I still check it out some. But activity has really dropped off so I started searching for alternatives. I post some on MAL and CR but don’t really care for the types of fans active on those sites and the toxic environment they tend to create. So this site has become my primary Social Media resource (I don’t even do Facebook or Reddit :lol:) I also check out ANN to keep current on what’s going on in the industry, but don’t care for the community.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Informative 1

On 2/22/2019 at 10:50 AM, HanaApril said:

I just searched "anime forums" and this popped up on the list of anime related forums. I have to say this place is much better ( friendly ) than any forum I've been on, my opinion. 

Pretty much this. I was part of a different forum before but they had major management/ownership/hosting problems. I loved their review section but ymthey eventually crumbled over the hosting problems and joint ownership disagreements. 

On 2/25/2019 at 10:01 AM, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Is this site related somehow to Anime Forums.com? Or no relation at all?

If we're both thinking of the same community, there was an older community called "Anime-Forums.com" which went down due to new owner issues. A handful of members started their own community called Sakuga City.

And no relation.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Optic said:

If we're both thinking of the same community, there was an older community called "Anime-Forums.com" which went down due to new owner issues. A handful of members started their own community called Sakuga City.

And no relation.

Ah I was wondering what happened to them. Once upon a time I had an account there though I never posted much mostly as there never seemed to be much going on there. Now I am, andd am glad I found Anime Forums.net last year. :) 

1 hour ago, Nono said:

Same as many above. Searched for anime forums, and this one popped up. I like it and I've for sure enjoyed my time here.

What's wrong with the crunchyroll community? A bunch of poo talkers or what?

I personalty would not say there is anything wrong with it. I think its cool that they have one, and are maintaining it. Though from what I can tell their main focus is providing anime not so much a place to talk about it. In my opinion thats better done on forum like this one where the community is the focus. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Nono said:

What's wrong with the crunchyroll community?

My own experience was that it just wasn't interesting.  Where people were talking at all they were posting isolated comments, or talking past each other.  A certain (small) percentage of posters are just troublemakers that aren't dealt with properly and spoil it for everyone.  Some of it was mechanical too.  I didn't get along with the editing interface.  Bugs that never got fixed.  Finding stuff and tracking it can be difficult.  Their forum search engine is non-functional.  Even just finding your own comments for a followup or something can be hard, never mind that comment you're sure you saw someone whose handle you can't quite remember post somewhere a month or so ago.  PMs have been blocked or broken for weeks now with no acknowledgement or ETR from site management.  Nothing that couldn't be fixed with some UI tweaks and maybe a bit of enlightened moderation, but that sort of thing has never been crunchy's strong suit.  Crunchy's a profit-driven rather than enthusiast-driven enterprise too, so of course there's corporate & legal layers of BS as well as cost vs profit. 

All IMHO, YMMV, etc...

14 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

In my opinion thats better done on forum like this one where the community is the focus.

I agree.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with @ArchieKun and @efaardvark about the Crunchyroll forum. I also think that their comment section on the videos they offer is sub-par. Although it is a little better now it is still not  exactly brilliant. In general it seems that they need to hire a few more people to maintain the non-streaming parts of Crunchyroll.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I also think that their comment section on the videos they offer is sub-par

They should at least link their video comments section(s).  The way they have it now, a post on a particular episode is not accessible/visible to people posting in/on other episodes, and posts to any episode aren't linked to the forum discussion for that show.  That much at least I'd think should be a no-brainer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I agree with @ArchieKun and @efaardvark about the Crunchyroll forum. I also think that their comment section on the videos they offer is sub-par. Although it is a little better now it is still not  exactly brilliant. In general it seems that they need to hire a few more people to maintain the non-streaming parts of Crunchyroll.

It is still really good that they continue to offer this sort of thing though even if it is sub par. They are light years ahead of something like Funimation's service especially after they were acquired by Sony. With to streaming wars in full swing now we will see more things like the Epic Games Store which of course is games not anime, but they do not have a forum nor a way to even review the things listed on their platform. So while Crunchyroll dose not really go so strong on the community side they do not give up on it which is very important for those who do want to take part, and perhaps even more so for the viewers who are seeking opinions on weather to see a series. 

Yes more hard core otakous will branch out, and come to join our forum, or something similar, but the casual anime fan will mostly turn to Crunchyroll because it is so well known, and is largely main streamed at this point.

• Like 1