Any Animes which Main Character is a loser?

KatakuriSama

Well even in slice of life series this sort of thing is rare if anything the main character is pretty popular, or beset by their popularity. The thing that comes to mind that I imagine your looking for is something along the lines of the american cartoons, or live shows where there is often a geeky, or unpopular kid/person who grows with their group for the most part. This sort of premise is honestly not to big in Japan, or anime. This may not be the best example, but I would say Pokemon would fit the bill at least on the notion that Ash is sort of a loser in the regaining at least. Though he learns quick enough to at least stand up to most basic challenges. So I would have to say this is a poor example at best, but it is a example all the same.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Well even in slice of life series this sort of thing is rare if anything the main character is pretty popular, or beset by their popularity. The thing that comes to mind that I imagine your looking for is something along the lines of the american cartoons, or live shows where there is often a geeky, or unpopular kid/person who grows with their group for the most part. This sort of premise is honestly not to big in Japan, or anime. This may not be the best example, but I would say Pokemon would fit the bill at least on the notion that Ash is sort of a loser in the regaining at least. Though he learns quick enough to at least stand up to most basic challenges. So I would have to say this is a poor example at best, but it is a example all the same.

Thank You. Yh. It's hard to explain. And I don't mean just weak characters. For example, If Satomi died in Parasyte, that'd be a good example too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KatakuriSama said:

Thank You. Yh. It's hard to explain. And I don't mean just weak characters. For example, If Satomi died in Parasyte, that'd be a good example too.

Its all good thats the first thing that came to mind when I saw that, but ya in Japan their views on this sort of thing are far different than in the west. There is bullying and clicks too in schools I am sure. Though its not like in the west. In the west its more like a compaction to be the best from a young age with little guidance, or regulation. In Japan they just know they need to do well for their families sake as well as their own. Things like respect, and honor are far more valued.

• Like 1

Re:Zero 

Main character is a complete and utter loser, he sucks at almost everything he does and despite everything he goes through he always just sucks, its like he cant improve at all; it is because of this as well as his character that he is my least favorite anime character ever, you may like the show if you are just looking for an utterly pathetic MC. 

• Like 2

Hmm, maybe I’m misunderstanding something but I can think of several SoL that would seem to fit: Haganai, Asobi Asobase & Chio’s School Road all feature characters that are widely treated as outcasts by their peers and show little to no growth. I would even be tempted to include Konosuba since the main quartet are together pretty much because no one else wants them in their party, and even when they do something heroic, something inevitably happens to keep their reputations from improving

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Familiar of Zero ~ Louise the Zero....that's how bad it is for her, they even gave her name to remind her of it. Not her fault mind you, but it plagues her throughout the anime. She is pretty impressive but she has it hard too.

Okami-san and her Seven Companions ~ the main male lead is quite skilled but has a crippling condition that essentially zeroes him out. Still one of my favorite male leads due to his loyal personality. 

Only two that spring to mind right offhand.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SAO LILDOOP said:

Main character is a complete and utter loser, he sucks at almost everything he does and despite everything he goes through he always just sucks, its like he cant improve at all; it is because of this as well as his character that he is my least favorite anime character ever, you may like the show if you are just looking for an utterly pathetic MC. 

15 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Hmm, maybe I’m misunderstanding something but I can think of several SoL that would seem to fit: Haganai, Asobi Asobase & Chio’s School Road all feature characters that are widely treated as outcasts by their peers and show little to no growth. I would even be tempted to include Konosuba since the main quartet are together pretty much because no one else wants them in their party, and even when they do something heroic, something inevitably happens to keep their reputations from improving

14 hours ago, Beocat said:

Familiar of Zero ~ Louise the Zero....that's how bad it is for her, they even gave her name to remind her of it. Not her fault mind you, but it plagues her throughout the anime. She is pretty impressive but she has it hard too.

Okami-san and her Seven Companions ~ the main male lead is quite skilled but has a crippling condition that essentially zeroes him out. Still one of my favorite male leads due to his loyal personality. 

Only two that spring to mind right offhand.

Thank You! ☺️

• Friendly 1

Well, I don't know if you're looking for something short or not, but from what I've seen the only anime that come to mind are Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL, the protagonist Tsukumo Yuuma can be described as a loser since he loses a lot of his Duels, fails at a lot of his "Kattobingu Challenges", and is kinda picked on a lot by his peers. Also, My Hero Academia since Midoriya or Deku has no quirk in the beginning and is kinda spineless and he's also bullied by Bakugo and the other students.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:07 AM, Ohiotaku said:

For an actual suggestion maybe try Welcome to the NHK

I second this. The main character is a shut-in and a NEET.

He doesn't leave his house because of social anxiety so he doesn't have a job either. No friends no romantic life.

BTOOOM! is also a good one as the main character locks himself up in his room and just plays videogames all day. He doesn't work or go to school.

March Comes in Like A Lion. Although the main character just seems depressed, he really has no friends and is a loner in school. All he has is chess. 

• Like 1

And his in-game avatar is a cartoon pig :lol:

And if we're including Louise the Zero, should also probably include Akko from Little Witch Academia.

Though in the titles I mentioned in earlier posts, the characters really don't grow or improve all that much (the guy from NHK a litlle, but lots of setbacks along the way and still has plenty of issues)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 1:50 AM, SAO LILDOOP said:

So I'm watching this and I'm on episode 20. You are absolutely correct. He is one of my least fav characters. Not because he is weak. But there are 0% character development. Or getting worse. All the babblings and achievements he got is thanks to respawning. But Anime is awesome except the whale hunting part.

Edited by KatakuriSama
  • Agree 1