Weird/Strange Movies You Like?

EnviousEnvy

Any movies you like that may be considered weird, strange, messed up to others? Which movies?

(Please no judging other people's likes)

One movie in particular that I recently watched and now consider a favorite of mine is The Danish Girl. A movie loosely based on Einar Wegener's determination on transitioning into a full woman named Lili Elbe after his/her wife asked him/her to pose for her latest artwork when the actress whom was intended to pose had canceled. Sometime afterward, as the days passed by Einar began to see himself/herself more and more as a woman than man; eventually after years of stress and doctors claiming Einar/Lili was mentally ill, he/she found a doctor to help Einar to officially transition to Lili with the help of Einar's wife.

I can't help it, not only is the story very interesting but I was always intrigued by men and women transitioning as well as their life before, during and after. Now I'm not saying I'm interested in seeing the procedure done, no thank you (I have a weak stomach when it comes to any kind of surgery). Just the person and their life itself. I guess you could say, taking a walk in their shoes. Why does this interest me? I have no clear idea, just that I want to understand other things.

• Like 2

Well I tend to really like a lot of Japanese movies, and Karen movies. One in particular that comes to mind that would be classified as messed up would be Battle Royal. I won't go into spoilers because it really is a good film, and something you just need to experience first hand from a fresh start. I am sure there are others I have seem but can't really place any at the moment. I am also far more of series person though I enjoy a movie if it clicks with me.

• Like 1

I tend to like Guillermo del Toro's films, which tend to be pretty surreal (favorites include: Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone & the original Hellboy). There's been talk of him wanting to do a  live-action adaption of Naoki Urasawa's Monster for years.

One thing that's pretty messed up about my taste in  movies is that I actually prefer the American versions of The Ring (the first one anyway) and Let Me In (Let the Right One In)

I also liked the Ginger Snaps movies

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

On 3/8/2019 at 9:56 PM, Ohiotaku said:

I tend to like Guillermo del Toro's films, which tend to be pretty surreal (favorites include: Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone & the original Hellboy). There's been talk of him wanting to do a  live-action adaption of Naoki Urasawa's Monster for years.

One thing that's pretty messed up about my taste in  movies is that I actually prefer the American versions of The Ring (the first one anyway) and Let Me In (Let the Right One In)

I also liked the Ginger Snaps movies

😮 I used to LOVE the Ginger snaps movies! Have you watched "The girl with the dragon tattoo"?

I can't watch horror anymore, but fam those movies were lit

6 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Have you watched "The girl with the dragon tattoo"?

Only the first one, not the sequel(s). I would probably need to rewatch it since it’s been awhile. 

How about ‘What Dreams May Come’ and ‘The Lovely Bones’?

4 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

Only the first one, not the sequel(s). I would probably need to rewatch it since it’s been awhile. 

How about ‘What Dreams May Come’ and ‘The Lovely Bones’?

I should! What dreams may come has 2 of my fav actors.

There was this new Swedish horror movie called "The Ritual" that was pretty blare witch esque 

On 3/6/2019 at 3:03 PM, ArchieKun said:

One in particular that comes to mind that would be classified as messed up would be Battle Royal. I won't go into spoilers because it really is a good film, and something you just need to experience first hand from a fresh start.

Heard a lot of good things about Battle Royal. And that it helped inspire the battle royal trend in videogames today. 

Is it a Japanese film?

As for me, I enjoy watching old black and white movies. Not that I'm trying to be artsy or anything. I just feel there are old movies everyone should watch before they die. As not to miss out.

So I started with The Godfather and went from there. Citizen Kane, Rear Window, and so on. And recently I watched Psycho.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Heard a lot of good things about Battle Royal. And that it helped inspire the battle royal trend in videogames today. 

Is it a Japanese film?

It is amazing like one of if not my favorite movie ever, It is indeed a Japanese film. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My favourite one-off movie is Donnie Darko because I absolutely love how it is both a little unsettling, humorous and thought provoking all at once. I just adore the character of Donnie and found myself absolutely loving him because he was so complex and strange, yet somehow still extremely relatable while still being completely unique. I also love the writing in the movie and especially love the line: "Why do you wear that stupid human suit."
I also love Donnie's outright disregard for the complete and utter idiocy that is taught in his school and pushed by everyone within the town. For instance, when they have Jim Cunningham speak about fear and the school pushes this narrative that there is either love or fear and anything negative comes from fear and anything positive comes from love. I hate this way of thinking, always have, so seeing Donnie call both Jim and his teacher out on this was just quite enjoyable to see. 
I also just absolutely love the end of the movie and find it quite inspiring. 

My favourite movie series however is either the Silence Of The Lambs trilogy or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I just love both of these series so much and they are quite inspiring as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@ItsSammy A tribute to that awesome movie.

I was just about to post The girl with the Dragon tattoo as well! It’s certainly not everyone’s cup of tea, and very graphic. But the story is very empowering in its own weird way 😁

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

@Seshi I absolutely loved the soundtrack for Donnie Darko as well and Mad World, I must say, is my favourite song. 
Also, yeah, I agree with you on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo not being for everyone since it is quite graphic as you said, but it is still just such an amazing series.

On 3/15/2019 at 6:50 PM, Ohiotaku said:

What Dreams May Come

👍  All of Williams' movies are worth a watch, but that one was better than most.

As for my submission, and sticking to the weird ones, how about "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes", or maybe "Schlock"?  Sad to say I own DVDs for both.  Both are terrible movies, but more in the "so bad they're good" category.  :D

• 2 months later...

I like a lot of SciFy movies that are really stupid/weird and strange. Ones that I think most people don't like, but generally I like watching these because they are made so awfully and I find them ridiculously funny like the Sharknado series. I just watch it and laugh like whatttttt am i watchinggggg, but I love it, it gives me a great laugh.

Other ones I like that are similar with the awfully made theme are Mammoth, DinoCroc, DinoShark, Swarm of the Snakehead (this is by far the most ridiculous movie I have EVER watched), and Piranha. 

I also like Tremors, Jaws and Lake Placid but I know quite a few people who like Tremors and Jaws since they are kinda classic horror movies so I don't think that's too weird/awful. 

• Like 1

Alone in the T-Shirt zone is by far the weirdest movie I've ever seen but in a weird way. Don't recommend that to anyone really though. Those Pumpkinhead movies from the 80s used to freak me out too and are weird but I like them. The Shining too.

• Like 1