Founders (Current Working Title)

Ryan Dave Jimenez

I am currently working on story for a webtoon / motion comic / animated series ( I still don't know what the end product will be)

And here's the synopsis:

Heiji Yajima is a jaded 24-year old working in a big famous company. But even with a stable job and his own place, he still feels unfulfilled. One day he comes across a word he's never heard of before... entrepreneurship. He then quits his job and decides to start his own company. Founders is the story of living life your own way and finding true happiness.
(Slice Of Life, Comedy, Romance)

I intend to post updates here if that's okay. 

And here's the character design for the main character (face only):

2qAX6uR.png

• Like 3
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Interesting idea. Just wondering though, is there something like this already out there? I ask because there seems to be an anime about everything and would be surprised if no one has yet made one about opening a business. Even if there is though, it sounds interesting!

I think the title is great!

Edited by Illusion of Terra

12 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

is there something like this already out there? I ask because there seems to be an anime about everything and would be surprised if no one has yet made one about opening a business. 

I did do some research before hand. There are some anime with elements of running a business. But as far as I know, there hasn't been one where characters start their own company. Much less a corporate entity and not just a shop or store. (Correct me if I'm wrong of course)

I took inspiration from Shirobako and Bakuman and the TV show Silicon Valley. 

Heck, I got frustrated with the ending of Shirobako. I honestly thought they were all gonna resign and start their own animation company. Because they haven't really made their own anime yet. Except the school project they did. 

But most people are satisfied with the ending though.

Just a bit of wisdom, most planning on how to start a company happen when you are still working at your old job. Most commercial space (at least in the US) is purchase by front footage and leasing a building can be done various ways (percentage, index, etc leases). Some require permitting which can take years to complete. Make sure you have your ducks in a row before you start this one. Opening a business is rarely as glamorous as tv likes to make it. TV always skips the cost of start up and time to actual profit part.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beocat said:

Opening a business is rarely as glamorous as tv likes to make it. TV always skips the cost of start up and time to actual profit part.

Oh for sure. Although Silicon Valley does a good job of showing that. The main character there has highs and lows. Succeeds only to fail again. 

And not to give too much away, but my main character will indeed realize that it's not as easy as it seems. And has to go through challenges as well. Which is a part I find exciting to write actually. xD

Thank you for the advice though. I will definitely post here to get some more feedback.

From what I can see so far this looks pretty nice. I like how you do the eyes, and hair the most.

One suggestion for you to start out you may want to do something like a sprite comic. Those can be done with the form of renders you posted here, and are pretty fun to read too. Then once your series gains some attention go for animation.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:19 AM, ArchieKun said:

One suggestion for you to start out you may want to do something like a sprite comic. Those can be done with the form of renders you posted here, and are pretty fun to read too. Then once your series gains some attention go for animation.

Yeah I think so too. That seems to be the best route.

It's so much easier too. As compared to doing animation.

Alright then it's decided. The end product will start as a comic of sorts. xD

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Yeah I think so too. That seems to be the best route.

It's so much easier too. As compared to doing animation.

Alright then it's decided. The end product will start as a comic of sorts. xD

Yah you can easily put together a sprite comic in MS paint, or another free drawing app.

This reminds me a bit of "The Devil is a part timer", Also, "Blue Exorcist" when Rin is working for a short time in a supermarket. I find slice of life enjoyable and it would be nice to see how you accomplish this yourself.

the second characters hair color is close to the first, but I like the first one better.

1 hour ago, Seshi said:

I find slice of life enjoyable and it would be nice to see how you accomplish this yourself.

the second characters hair color is close to the first, but I like the first one better.

I love slice of life too. 

Yeah I also hope I can pull this off. xD I've done comics before but maybe only 2 pages. 

Good observation. I had a tough time deciding what color to give the 2nd character. Let me try if black works. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 9:27 PM, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

I love slice of life too. 

Yeah I also hope I can pull this off. xD I've done comics before but maybe only 2 pages. 

Good observation. I had a tough time deciding what color to give the 2nd character. Let me try if black works. 

I'd say if I were writing/drawing a comic I'd go page by page as well, but also plan out a chapter in your heard so you know some things to keep working toward. This will keep you motivated, and of course things can always be changed/revised as you go.

• Like 1

The third and final "founder".  UPDATE: Sorry I didn't realize the image wasn't showing.

Now it's time to work on a logo I guess. And draw the 3 main characters from head to toe.

Thank you for everyone who took the time to post in this thread. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the amazing support. (for a rookie artist & writer like me)

V1o4NsE.png

Edited by Ryan Dave Jimenez
the image wasn't appearing

• 1 month later...

So I finished chapter 1 of this.

If anyone is interested you can find it at Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/founders/the-routine/viewer?title_no=300915&episode_no=1

Or at Tapas: https://tapas.io/series/Founders

I will also start putting updates about this on my AF blog. As not to make this topic too long. So check out my blog if you're interested.

Your logo isn’t bad. I think it makes the idea about them being a startup company more noticeable than the title alone, it’s a great concept image at least.

I will say the redhead needs some help with regards to that hair line. She looks like someone took a chunk out of her head 🤣💕

Also, light skinned blonde up front looks a bit too pale in the logo image. Maybe polish him up a bit of you can, make his contrast higher with that color if you want, just add some variation in color to his skin, like blush or shadow, but in skin tone colors.

Particularly around the mouth

I love the Coloration on your new lady she is brilliant

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 9:20 PM, Seshi said:

Your logo isn’t bad. I think it makes the idea about them being a startup company more noticeable than the title alone, it’s a great concept image at least.

I will say the redhead needs some help with regards to that hair line. She looks like someone took a chunk out of her head 🤣💕

Also, light skinned blonde up front looks a bit too pale in the logo image. Maybe polish him up a bit of you can, make his contrast higher with that color if you want, just add some variation in color to his skin, like blush or shadow, but in skin tone colors.

Particularly around the mouth

I love the Coloration on your new lady she is brilliant

Alright I will try these out for Chapter 2. Thank you very much.

For the logo I think I can make a better one. So for now there will be no logo yet.

• 2 weeks later...