[Vote] Do you want a Live Chat Box?

Illusion of Terra

Vote: Live Chat Box? Possible/Wanted?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a live chat box? (anonymous vote)

• Yes, I would like a live chat box to talk to others
    • No, the combination of forum posts and status updates is enough for this forum
    • I don't care one way or another
    • Not gonna happen because of technical issues/forum rules

Question

I don't know if this is possible for technical reasons, but if it is, would you be interested in a live chat box? A box where you can opt-in/out and see who's online (i.e. those who opted-in the live chat box) and well chat with them. Kinda like the status updates, only live. What do you think?

Edited by Illusion of Terra

6 answers to this question

Hi @Illusion of Terra

Thanks for the feedback.

Our main focus is on the forum discussion areas. So at this time we're not considering any official live chat groups / chat boxes. We did have a few in the past but they drastically increased our moderation workload and also split the community between the forum posters and chatters - not an inherently bad thing but currently we are a rather small community.

We're not completely ruling it out, they might return as the community grows.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I don't know if this is possible for technical reasons, but if it is, would you be interested in a live chat box? A box where you can opt-in/out and see who's online (i.e. those who opted-in the live chat box) and well chat with them. Kinda like the status updates, only live. What do you think?

I think that's called "discord".  :) 

Seriously though, while I would kind of be interested in an AF chatbox, honestly I doubt I'd use it much.  I don't even use discord much, and I have that on both my phone and on my desktop.  (I usually do have discord running in the background, but it is always buried under approximately 37,864 windows.  Give or take.  :DEvery day or so I dig it out and look at it or post something to it, but at that point I might as well just be hitting a URL and using a web-based forum like AF.  The only time I really use discord in real-time mode is when I use it as a TeamSpeak replacement while actively gaming.  Not exactly the typical chatbox usage mode.

There was some talk a while back about getting AF users on a discord channel somewhere.  I don't think it went anywhere though.  There's also a few existing anime-themed discord channels (not AF-related) already out there too.  I've tried a couple but never found one I liked.  And like I said I don't do the realtime chat thing much anyway.  (I'd be interested in hearing from people on their experiences if they've tried that sort of thing themselves though.  Anyone found a server they like?)

28 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I think that's called "discord".  :) 

Seriously though, while I would kind of be interested in an AF chatbox, honestly I doubt I'd use it much.  I don't even use discord much, and I have that on both my phone and on my desktop.  (I usually do have discord running in the background, but it is always buried under approximately 37,864 windows.  Give or take.  :DEvery day or so I dig it out and look at it or post something to it, but at that point I might as well just be hitting a URL and using a web-based forum like AF.  The only time I really use discord in real-time mode is when I use it as a TeamSpeak replacement while actively gaming.  Not exactly the typical chatbox usage mode.

There was some talk a while back about getting AF users on a discord channel somewhere.  I don't think it went anywhere though.  There's also a few existing anime-themed discord channels (not AF-related) already out there too.  I've tried a couple but never found one I liked.  And like I said I don't do the realtime chat thing much anyway.  (I'd be interested in hearing from people on their experiences if they've tried that sort of thing themselves though.  Anyone found a server they like?)

i-i  dont think that's what he meant by chatbox (i mean, you can have that as a chatbox, but i dont think that's what he meant)

i think what he meant was having a "chatbox inside AF forums"

image.png.454aeeb42114b2316a7107bdbdf28e1e.png

similar to our sister-website (the forgotten-lair)

i dont exactly know if its possible, but im sure @ArchieKun, or @Optic will denounce to you if its possible or not, and whether if the community wants one IF its possible

I would say no to this. Discord is enough for me, as I prefer to deal with smaller chats, so that things are easier to follow.

Also, this place did have a live chat before, around when I initially joined, but it was underutilized, since most of us tended to pay attention to the forums.

The crew we have now might be a bit different in dynamic, but chances are that it would be under utilized again.

• Agree 1

I would have to say no as well. The forum presently is where the focus is, and we have no rules against exchanging discord, or other IM info via PM. Feedback is always a good thing though. :)