Shinkansen (bullet train)

Optic

If you plan on travelling as a Tourist to Japan and plan on visiting various major cities such as Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto you definitely may want to consider riding the Shinkansen.

Overall impressions:

• Fast, and quiet!
  • Food carts that provide snacks and drinks visit the cars from time to time. BUT it's quite expensive (I paid 300 yen for a coffee for the novelty) so it would be better to just stock up on a bento or snacks from a convenience store on the platforms or train stations prior to boarding.
  • Some seats have a power point and USB port to charge your devices
  • Stowable meal tables and cup holders

Only thing to consider is luggage. Space can be limited when the cars are full so if you're lugging around large suitcases it might be better to get your luggage forwarded ahead of your destination and perhaps travel with a smaller bag to get you by.

I should also add that the Shinkansen is quite expensive on its own, so you should definitely get a Japan Rail (JR) pass before arriving in Japan as that allows unlimited travel on many train lines, including the Shinkansen. Of course only tourists can get this.

Anyone else have any experiences riding the Shinkansen?

*raises hand* Yup.

My first time riding on the Shinkansen, I also had my DS. So I was playing Pokemon Heart Gold and there's the train you take from Johto to Kanto, which is based on the Shinkansen, so I fangirled over that silliness. lol

That aside, yeah, riding on the Shinkansen is pretty expensive. I have most of my experience riding Japan East, not west though as I live in the north and head south. I usually don't buy food on the Shinkansen and bring my own stuff or pick up something right before getting on the train. I like being in a car with outlets so I can always have my mp3 player or iPad or whatever charged and it's a good place for a nap. Very relaxing.

I also use the nonreserved car and try to be first in line so I can have first dibs on seats, even if I'm hauling around luggage. I always go for the seats closest to the doors where I can put my luggage directly behind me.

Oh, and to my knowledge, I think that rail passes are only for visitors, not those living here. T_T

• Like 1

I always go for the seats closest to the doors where I can put my luggage directly behind me.

Good strategy. ;)

Oh, and to my knowledge, I think that rail passes are only for visitors, not those living here. T_T

Indeed. They come in 7, 14 or 21 day versions, I went for the 14 day one. It also allows you to get free seat reservations too BUT you have to book it in person, at the station. Can't prebook prior to your arrival, not a deal-breaker though as usually there's plenty of reserved seats as long as it's not a festival or holiday. xD

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot to ask, how often do you visit Japan? When is your next visit here? I think it's awesome that you have a job where you can legit visit Japan. Wish I had one stateside that could do that. lol

Well I only I visited once for the purposes of work which was hitching along with a school in a supervisory capacity as we visited schools directly. Though it was great gaining so much insight across many Japanese school visits, it was quite hectic and to be frank - a little nerve wracking as it was my first time there so had some slight culture shock and was worried I might make a bad impression with the norms (bowing, honorific titles, etc.). >_<

Second time I visited a year later as a tourist for holiday at a leisurely pace. :)

Possibly will be visiting again late this year, depends how my current job prospects go. I work in the IT industry so I was hoping I could try and gain some experience there that is related to my career, but I feel I really need to work on attaining a decent level of Japanese proficiency first. At my workplace we have two Japanese teachers who have good connections back in Japan so I will be consulting with them on a few matters... ;)