Anime/Manga Pet Peeves

leyley

Hey guys!

I don't know many of you guys, so as an attempt to get to know y'all, what are some anime pet peeves/changes you'd make in a lot of anime?

All comments are preferred, no judgments here. I want to note: I respect any and all opinions 🙂

These are a few pet peeves of mine (I might add on later tbh):

1.) This may be a popular one, but.. anime that doesn't follow the manga.

2.) (personal opinion) Too much "plot" in everything nowadays, and I guess it's for traction? Correct me if I'm wrong. I just don't think it's necessary if it wasn't incorporated initially. This could be easily argued for One Piece after the timeskip. (Don't get me wrong, occasionally it's okay :P)

3.) Seasons worth of the same concept, kinda like a bandwagon. But, I feel like sometimes they need to diversify anime produced in each season. I don't know if its just me, lol. 

4.) Women in anime/manga that are in shounen jump losing potential/resulting in a supporting character kind of sucks (like Rukia from Bleach, Robin from One Piece, Ten Ten/Temari from Naruto, etc). Like, in a fictional universe, it's completely plausible to have a female character that's in the main og group being cast, and yet that rarely ever happens. 😧

5.) Fighting IQ of popular main characters tend to be uhhhh, well not the greatest. And really, they tend to be the same characters if you think about it ._.

1 hour ago, leyley said:

it's completely plausible to have a female character that's in the main og group being cast, and yet that rarely ever happens. 😧

That's simply preposterous! 😂 I do think that's slowly changing though, isn't it?

What bothers me nowadays (not so much when I was younger) is when there is too much 'fan-service' in an anime, by which I mean that characters are dressed or behave in a certain way simply because of the fan service and other than that it does not make any sense. If in some way it is well incorporated into the whole story then I kinda get it, but other than that it always looks like a cheap attempt to get people to watch it.

Another thing is when they design the story in such a way that there is a huge cliffhanger just right at the end of the season. I get why they do it, but for me it is more important that the story as a whole is well-rounded rather than being attention grabbing at the end of each episode or season.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

That's simply preposterous! 😂 I do think that's slowly changing though, isn't it?

What bothers me nowadays (not so much when I was younger) is when there is too much 'fan-service' in an anime, by which I mean that characters are dressed or behave in a certain way simply because of the fan service and other than that it does not make any sense. If in some way it is well incorporated into the whole story then I kinda get it, but other than that it always looks like a cheap attempt to get people to watch it.

Another thing is when they design the story in such a way that there is a huge cliffhanger just right at the end of the season. I get why they do it, but for me it is more important that the story as a whole is well-rounded rather than being attention grabbing at the end of each episode or season.

Lol, I know right! It is, but at the same time, I doubt it because it goes back to that plot or fan-service stuff. I was watching a video on Youtube about how women are viewed in Japan and it does show in anime. Hopefully, it changes for the better because I'm ready for some dope female fighters!

And yeah, that's so true! I forgot about that one. Fan-service kills anime over time. I've seen it with so many that used to be my favorite ruining it in the end. Would you say the same when an author takes a completely different path than where the audience thought they were going? 

As for cliffhangers, I like to binge until everything is complete. I can't stand that either, only because I watch multiple anime at a time, I start to forget.

@leyley I don't mind when authors take a completely different path, just as long as it is somehow reasonable. If it is done well, it can be great for a story! If it just seems labored and you get the feeling that they just did that to make the show more edgy/surprising than I think they should just have stuck with the way the story was going.

About the Japan women thing, though, I think it's complicated. We can't expect every culture to view things the way the West/the US does, even though we might think we are right. So yeah, maybe female fighters will stay in the background for quite some time. Although, there have been shows like Soul Eater where there are very prominent female fighters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@leyley I don't mind when authors take a completely different path, just as long as it is somehow reasonable. If it is done well, it can be great for a story! If it just seems labored and you get the feeling that they just did that to make the show more edgy/surprising than I think they should just have stuck with the way the story was going.

About the Japan women thing, though, I think it's complicated. We can't expect every culture to view things the way the West/the US does, even though we might think we are right. So yeah, maybe female fighters will stay in the background for quite some time. Although, there have been shows like Soul Eater where there are very prominent female fighters.

I have yet to see an author take a completely different path and come out unscathed tbh, lol. I can't name one as of now, but I'll probably remember later. Though, I completely agree.

I was having a similar conversation about this the other day with a professor of mine, and I found it very fascinating. You're definitely right on views deferring in the West and other places as well. I won't go too much into detail on this though. I haven't gotten to watch Soul Eater, but when I do I'll keep that in mind. 👍

Edited by leyley
  • Like 1

@leyley don't you think Sakura was a string og character? Also there were many other strong female fighters in Naruto throughout the series. Though since Naruto and several other anime you mentioned were geared towards the male gender being Shounen anime, the main character just makes sense to be male.

Other anime with strong female characters: 

Inuyasha had Kagome, Kikyo and Sango; all strong in their own way.

I watch a lot of Shounen, it's my fav sub-genre. So maybe I don't have that many others to recommend 🤣 But they do exist.

My pet peve is a lot like @Illusion of Terra I don't like the way fan service cheapens the anime.

• Like 1

1) Titles keep getting longer and more awkward sounding, usually necessitating some sort of abbreviation to refer to them (Konosuba,  Watamote, Danmachi, etc.)

2) The recent glut of isekai and OPMC titles. Related to that, copying story elements even when it doesn’t make sense to do so. For example: being able to pull up a status screen makes sense in series like Hack, SAO & Overlord where the MC is trapped in a game or VR. But it doesn’t really seem to fit in series like Shield Hero where it was a book or Reincarnated as a Slime where he’s murdered (Great Sage sounds and acts exaclty like some sort of game tutorial)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

1) Titles keep getting longer and more awkward sounding, usually necessitating some sort of abbreviation to refer to them (Konosuba,  Watamote, etc.)

Kinda reminded me of Rurouni Kenshin and his final attack the "Amakakeru Ryū no Hirameki" which they said like 100 times in only a couple of episodes 😂But yeah I've noticed titles getting longer as well which I find pointless after a certain length.

One more: 

Live Action Adaptions that: rely heavily on CGI  and have performers who seem less talented than the VAs and look less like the characters than your average cosplayer. I really do wonder what the point is (and I’m not even referring to attempts to adapt it to an american audience)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...