What's the first anime you'd recommend?

leyley

Ayo~ ^-^

I'm interested in what others have to say, but I also want to take these recommendations into consideration because I need to watch outside of my bubble (genre) of anime.

1. What anime would you recommend to someone that knew nothing about anime?
  2. What anime/manga would you tell your past self to watch asap (it doesn't have to be a favorite, rather something that impacted you, if that makes any sense)? :P
  • Like 1

1) Clannad because it was life changing for me.

Violet Evergarden. Beautiful, depressing and overall a fantastic anime.

2)To watch Clannad sooner.

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

15 minutes ago, Ryuji said:

1) Clannad because it was life changing for me.

Violet Evergarden. Beautiful, depressing and overall a fantastic anime.

2)To watch Clannad sooner.

Ah, I've recently heard of Violet Evergarden! It seems to be highly rated, so I'm eager to check it out based on your description! 

Orange had a huge impact on the mental health of others, and similarly with Clannad but in other areas of my life. I'm glad you brought that up. :')

Dragon Ball/Z/Super

Yu Yu Hakusho

Darker Then Black

High school of the Dead

High School DxD.

Rising of the Shield Hero

Those are series that are a mix of both fairly main stream, and ones that are more along the lines of a serious, or long time Otaku/anime fan. 

DB, and its following series such as Z, and Super are fairly approachable for a individual coming from a more western style of programming. HSOD, and High School DxD are more geared toward a more serious fan. Someone who has been watching anime, or is very heavy into the Otaku culture so to speak. 

In the case if Yu Yu Hakusho it is sorta in between it aired outside Japan in a era when anime was new to the west so a lot of people watching at the time had a far loser grip on the concept of anime then most fans do now.Unlike the DB series it is more focused on Japanese culture though not so much as HSOD, or High School DxD.

I hope this was of some help, and best of luck. 

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

1) My Hero Academia & Trigun because both series take themes/concepts that are popular in non-anime  works but put the unique spin on them that give them the larger feel of what anime is all about.  Some others I would recommend to people who really don't have a history with anime are Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood & Big O.

2) Afraid I don't really have a response to this one. I'm pretty happy with the timing of when I decided to watch various series.

• Like 1

Ghost in the Shell. It's mature and has great characters.  I think most people could watch it and not be turned off by anime if thry had zero prior exposure to anime before. I'd definitely not recommend anything with ecchi in it for a newbie.

• Like 1

1. If the person likes South Park and/or has no problem with highly offensive humor, then hands down the dubbed version of Ghost Stories. The original was bad, but the dub is comedy gold and may not seem too different than a similar sort of western show, and so might be easier to get into for someone into things like South Park.

2. I don't really have one for this, I am already happy with what I have watched and when~

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think I would recommend Dragon Ball Z to someone that has never watched anime, or Kenshin/Samurai X. Peacemaker Kurogane as well and FMA Brotherhood is very good.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

For the question, it would really depend on the genre for me. I have lots of I anime I'd recommend, but I'd ask for preferences of genre first. Slice of life: Azumanga Daioh/Hyakko. Shounen sports: Eyeshield 21/Major. Shounen battle: Fairy Tail/One Piece/Naruto/Boku no Hero. Magical Girl: Sailor Moon/Nanoha. Action comedy: Slayers/HSD Kenichi. Iseikai: Overlord/Reincarnated as a Slime. Music SoL: K-On!/Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad.

In response to the second question, I'd try an get my younger self to watch Sailor Moon sooner, or maybe actually finish all of the Nanoha series'. Or have found Major when it came out. I cannot stop rewatching that series or Eyeshield. I can only equate those to regret in stopping my involvement in sports as a preteen.

I'll always tell anyone who likes magic and comedy to watch Slayers. All of it. Especially the OVAs. Friggin HILARIOUS.

Edited by KeilynLocke

There’s really so many anime that I would recommend to someone that’s brand new to the world. When I think about it only one anime comes to mind and it’s so old but accurate, Shaman King. It’s one of the first anime I started watching before I even knew what anime was, with its feel good moments and action sequences I loved everything about it. If someone was to watch this anime, they’d fall in love with the entire world for sure.

• Agree 1

1.) Hard to answer. I'd say, something with a good english dub would make it easier to get into anime. And something with a bit of comedy and perhaps some good action but also some mature themes to it with interesting characters. Either FMAB, Mob Psycho 100 or Comby Bebop. It depends what the person like though. If they want something funny without any tension, or serious and grim dark, or an epic adventure, etc. ...

2.) I'd actually tell myself to start reading LNs sooner, starting with either Monogatari or Boogiepop! But as for Manga: Azumi and Vagabond; and for Anime: Black Lagoon and Durarara!

• Like 1

I really liked “Parasyte: The Maxim” but horror anime might not be your thing.

I also watched “Charlotte”, “One Punch Man”, “Black Clover”, and “FMA: Brotherhood” just to name a few. OPM being the first anime I ever watched.

Though I’m not an expert on the objectively best anime because I don’t watch as many anymore.