leyley

What's the first anime you'd recommend?

Ayo~ ^-^

I'm interested in what others have to say, but I also want to take these recommendations into consideration because I need to watch outside of my bubble (genre) of anime.

1. What anime would you recommend to someone that knew nothing about anime?
  2. What anime/manga would you tell your past self to watch asap (it doesn't have to be a favorite, rather something that impacted you, if that makes any sense)? :P
  • Like 1

1) Clannad because it was life changing for me.

Violet Evergarden. Beautiful, depressing and overall a fantastic anime.

2)To watch Clannad sooner.

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

15 minutes ago, Ryuji said:

1) Clannad because it was life changing for me.

Violet Evergarden. Beautiful, depressing and overall a fantastic anime.

2)To watch Clannad sooner.

Ah, I've recently heard of Violet Evergarden! It seems to be highly rated, so I'm eager to check it out based on your description! 

Orange had a huge impact on the mental health of others, and similarly with Clannad but in other areas of my life. I'm glad you brought that up. :')

Dragon Ball/Z/Super

Yu Yu Hakusho

Darker Then Black

High school of the Dead

High School DxD.

Rising of the Shield Hero

Those are series that are a mix of both fairly main stream, and ones that are more along the lines of a serious, or long time Otaku/anime fan. 

DB, and its following series such as Z, and Super are fairly approachable for a individual coming from a more western style of programming. HSOD, and High School DxD are more geared toward a more serious fan. Someone who has been watching anime, or is very heavy into the Otaku culture so to speak. 

In the case if Yu Yu Hakusho it is sorta in between it aired outside Japan in a era when anime was new to the west so a lot of people watching at the time had a far loser grip on the concept of anime then most fans do now.Unlike the DB series it is more focused on Japanese culture though not so much as HSOD, or High School DxD.

I hope this was of some help, and best of luck. 

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

1) My Hero Academia & Trigun because both series take themes/concepts that are popular in non-anime  works but put the unique spin on them that give them the larger feel of what anime is all about.  Some others I would recommend to people who really don't have a history with anime are Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood & Big O.

2) Afraid I don't really have a response to this one. I'm pretty happy with the timing of when I decided to watch various series.

• Like 1

Ghost in the Shell. It's mature and has great characters.  I think most people could watch it and not be turned off by anime if thry had zero prior exposure to anime before. I'd definitely not recommend anything with ecchi in it for a newbie.

• Like 1

The Melancholy of Haruhi Susamia is a good one also Wolf's Rain. 

Samurai X movies are usually my go to for new fans.

I'd probably recommend Fairy Tail for a decent shounen anime and My Hero Academia for another good shounen anime. The anime movie Your Name is great too. 

• Agree 1

1. If the person likes South Park and/or has no problem with highly offensive humor, then hands down the dubbed version of Ghost Stories. The original was bad, but the dub is comedy gold and may not seem too different than a similar sort of western show, and so might be easier to get into for someone into things like South Park.

2. I don't really have one for this, I am already happy with what I have watched and when~

• Like 1