Hello cyber world!

LunarBox

Hello everybody. My name is April. I am kind of a closet geek, and because of that nobody knows that I like anime, jrock, fashion, or anything of the nature. I am scared to share my interests with other people because... well at my age (33) people do not watch cartoons, or even mention it during dates, hanging out, and whatever normal people do. I live in a very boring world right now, with people who just don't get it, and am just looking to have conversations about anything to do with anime, manga, music, or video games. I loved anime since I was born, and cannot stop even though society wants me to. Hopefully I will meet people that are really into the same stuff I am into. I am pretty old school, but have been watching new anime lately... so I am not too out of date. Hit me up with a message or whatever. I do not mind talking about any anime. If I do not know it, I am always open to watching new ones. I am looking forward to be involved with this forum!! 

• Like 3
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Hello there, and welcome to AF hope you find a good group of friends here. As far as being a closeted geek I understand the fear of acceptance. Though in my case I am the opposite. I display my geekyness even at work. My best advice to you there would be is ask yourself how secure you are in your hobbies in terms of anime, and games. This can be hard, but its easier now days if you know how to go about it. Though best way to solve the acceptance issue is to surround yourself with like minds. Joining a forum like this one is a awesome start. Though you may also want to search the net for local clubs, or groups in your area. Also getting in on the Convention scene is a great way. There is always trolls there too, but most people are nice, and friendly at the cons I attend. 

Hope that helped even if only a little. If you havee any questions, or want to chat feel free to message me I don't bite. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LunarBox said:

Hello everybody. My name is April. I am kind of a closet geek, and because of that nobody knows that I like anime, jrock, fashion, or anything of the nature. I am scared to share my interests with other people because... well at my age (33) people do not watch cartoons, or even mention it during dates, hanging out, and whatever normal people do. I live in a very boring world right now, with people who just don't get it, and am just looking to have conversations about anything to do with anime, manga, music, or video games. I loved anime since I was born, and cannot stop even though society wants me to. Hopefully I will meet people that are really into the same stuff I am into. I am pretty old school, but have been watching new anime lately... so I am not too out of date. Hit me up with a message or whatever. I do not mind talking about any anime. If I do not know it, I am always open to watching new ones. I am looking forward to be involved with this forum!! 

Hi!  Welcome!  54 here.  I don't worry about the age thing anymore.  :D  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Welcome.

7 hours ago, efaardvark said:

54 here.  I don't worry about the age thing anymore.

And I'll be 50 later this year, Nice to find a site with nontypical  anime fans isn't it? :lol:

For all the talk of anime becoming more "main stream", I still find it easier to discuss and share online than IRL.

Members here seem really accepting and easy to talk to. I've been a member here for less than a year, but already consider it to be an online "home".  Hope you come to feel the same.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:54 PM, ArchieKun said:

Hello there, and welcome to AF hope you find a good group of friends here. As far as being a closeted geek I understand the fear of acceptance. Though in my case I am the opposite. I display my geekyness even at work. My best advice to you there would be is ask yourself how secure you are in your hobbies in terms of anime, and games. This can be hard, but its easier now days if you know how to go about it. Though best way to solve the acceptance issue is to surround yourself with like minds. Joining a forum like this one is a awesome start. Though you may also want to search the net for local clubs, or groups in your area. Also getting in on the Convention scene is a great way. There is always trolls there too, but most people are nice, and friendly at the cons I attend. 

Hope that helped even if only a little. If you havee any questions, or want to chat feel free to message me I don't bite. :) 

Wow thank you for welcoming me here. It's hard to surround myself around like minded people where I work, and go to school. You would think college would be a great place to meet people into this kind of stuff, but man... it's a dull place. There was an anime club there, and I did go there once - but felt very awkward because they were arguing about something. lol. I have started to come out of my closet yesterday. I finally made my ringtone my favorite L Arc en Ciel song. People look at me strange at work when they hear it though... BUT I am not going to change it yet. I am not sure I am ready for anime conventions. Nobody will go with me. I guess I have to find new friends that would go with me some how.

What are other things I could to to slowly come out of my shell?

23 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Hi!  Welcome!  54 here.  I don't worry about the age thing anymore.  :D  

Yes! I won't now. Thank you. It's just crazy how fast time goes by though. I just feel like I am missing out because I've been so quiet about everything I like for so long. 

17 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Welcome.

And I'll be 50 later this year, Nice to find a site with nontypical  anime fans isn't it? :lol:

For all the talk of anime becoming more "main stream", I still find it easier to discuss and share online than IRL.

Members here seem really accepting and easy to talk to. I've been a member here for less than a year, but already consider it to be an online "home".  Hope you come to feel the same.

I hope so too. I haven't really been involved with forums since I was like 19, and it was okay - but it was more about sharing information on how to beat jrpg's. which was cool. So it certainly has been a while. You all do seem easy to talk to, and I am hoping to have lots of fun talking. It's starting to feel like a home already. Thank you, and everyone who said hello!

Edited by LunarBox

21 hours ago, HanaApril said:

Welcome to Anime Forum I hope you enjoy your stay while your here. Please take care and have a wonderful rest of the day/night~🌼

Thank you for welcoming me here. :) I think I'll stay here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @LunarBox welcome 😊

My friends don’t watch anime, or like sports, or hunting.. but we all like to eat Asian food! I’m enjoying our mealtime experiences. Maybe invite your friends out to Asian food place & nerd out in that way? Get your ramen & green tea on 🤣🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

High five!! to a fellow early 30's anime fan. haha

I agree. The real world can be boring sometimes. That's why we invented things like movies, TV shows, games, sports and so on.

Sometimes I feel the people who don't do nerdy things are missing out. 

Yes there are a lot of older anime folks here so you will be around like-minded people. You chose a good forum.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:19 AM, LunarBox said:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2019 at 7:04 PM, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

High five!! to a fellow early 30's anime fan. haha

I agree. The real world can be boring sometimes. That's why we invented things like movies, TV shows, games, sports and so on.

Sometimes I feel the people who don't do nerdy things are missing out. 

Yes there are a lot of older anime folks here so you will be around like-minded people. You chose a good forum.

It looks like I have. A lot of people respond to things pretty quickly. Unfortunately, I have a hard time responding fast recently due to my job and school, but I am about to have a lot of free time because school is about to end for the semester, and I ain't going to school during the summer. I need to restock on cash for the fall. What anime have you watched growing up?

On 3/28/2019 at 8:39 AM, Crevanille said:

Hello!! I am good. I loved the video to death. Thank you!!

On 3/27/2019 at 6:44 PM, Seshi said:

Hey @LunarBox welcome 😊

My friends don’t watch anime, or like sports, or hunting.. but we all like to eat Asian food! I’m enjoying our mealtime experiences. Maybe invite your friends out to Asian food place & nerd out in that way? Get your ramen & green tea on 🤣🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes I think I will do that this afternoon. Ramen is always good!! I do know a good ramen place.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 2:17 AM, LunarBox said:

What anime have you watched growing up?

Oh man let me think for a bit, it was a long time ago. haha

Dragon Ball is one. Me and my sister used to religiously watch that every time it aired on TV.

Ghost Sweeper is one I have memories of.

Yu Yu Hakusho and Flame of Recca were big hits here in my country.

Mostly shows from the Ah My Goddess! Love Hina, Saber Marionette J, Magic Knight Rayearth era. Which is 90's? I think

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Oh man let me think for a bit, it was a long time ago. haha

Dragon Ball is one. Me and my sister used to religiously watch that every time it aired on TV.

Ghost Sweeper is one I have memories of.

Yu Yu Hakusho and Flame of Recca were big hits here in my country.

Mostly shows from the Ah My Goddess! Love Hina, Saber Marionette J, Magic Knight Rayearth era. Which is 90's? I think

Awesome!!! I think Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Zenki, and Haunted Junction were some that I grew up with. Love Hina was a fun anime. I remember having someone in high school bootleg the first volume of Love Hina for me. I still have that copy, and I bought the real volumes years later.

I haven't seen Yu Yu Hakusho. I have heard of it, but just never seen it.  I may check it out this summer!!!

On 5/6/2019 at 7:49 PM, The History Kid said:

Story of my life.  Save for one SSG that gets a little too into things.  *ehm*...there is a video floating around of him using a grenade launcher while wearing Magilou's hat from Tales of Berseria.  Still not sure how he hasn't gotten an Article 15 yet.

I'm starting to learn that the age bracket here is generally higher than what I'd have come to expect from other anime sites.  It seems the sweet spot member-wise here is 25-35 (I didn't forget about you youngin's, calm down!).  I am at the age of 29 - and apparently old enough that the office intern has to remind me that I am old.  The girl doesn't even know who Adam Sandler is, friggin what?

P.S. fear my late posting powers! (A sign I have not slept as much as I should have)

Who doesn't know Adam Sandler though??? Hahaha!! Enjoy what's left of your twenties!! 

21 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Right??!

I'm trying.  29 is a very sad age. lol

It was for me too, but after I turned 30... it was still sad. LOL. Things are getting better though. What I am learning is that age is inevitable. But watching anime, playing video games, or doing whatever hobby you're passionate about doesn't have to change unless you let it.  

• Like 2

Hi there! Like others have said Anime Forums has quite a few people around that age, including midlife crises 😂 around 30 does seem to be quite a fickle time
Also the gender ratio is quite balanced I'd say and there are active members from almost every continent. So yeah, I think everyone's welcome here! 

Edited by Illusion of Terra

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2019 at 10:40 PM, The History Kid said:

What I have going for me is that I very obviously do not look my age.  I get mistaken for the son of various commanders, the son of assorted department chiefs, etc.  The whole directorate looks younger than it actually is.  The irony is we're usually dealing with ancient people or dead people. ha

Dead people?? Oh my. I wonder what you do. People say I look 12 because I am short.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:38 AM, Illusion of Terra said:

Hi there! Like others have said Anime Forums has quite a few people around that age, including midlife crises 😂 around 30 does seem to be quite a fickle time
Also the gender ratio is quite balanced I'd say and there are active members from almost every continent. So yeah, I think everyone's welcome here! 

Midlife crisis huh. Well... I am currently experiencing a crisis of some sort. That's for sure.. LOL. I am hoping I can get out of it coming here. 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:17 PM, Wedgy said:

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional. 

Yes, yes, yes!!! I'll live by that!

On 5/19/2019 at 10:30 PM, efaardvark said:

I resemble that remark.  :)

Haha. Do you have a you tube account?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LunarBox said:

Midlife crisis huh. Well... I am currently experiencing a crisis of some sort. That's for sure.. LOL. I am hoping I can get out of it coming here. 

With all the people in their 30s we should form a midlife crisis club 😂 

Jokes aside though, I know quite a few people that really had a rough time around their 30s. Fortunately, most of the time it does seem to improve over time. Hopefully this will be so in your case as well :) 

• Friendly 1

On 5/20/2019 at 1:40 AM, The History Kid said:

What I have going for me is that I very obviously do not look my age.  I get mistaken for the son of various commanders, the son of assorted department chiefs, etc.  The whole directorate looks younger than it actually is.  The irony is we're usually dealing with ancient people or dead people. ha

Maybe if you dressed more adult like (professional) people wouldn’t think you were the son of the commander or whatever 🤣🤣

7708FAB4-7995-4981-A43C-62BDD5704A78.jpeg.5956bb87d6bc3c8dc461f26601165f10.jpeg#imundercover

4 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I do. That does not help me. The only pictures you guys have seen are when I'm in another building in the winter. A building with no heat, I might add.

Ah.. well I too suffer from looking much younger than I am (28). Although now that I’ve had a kid I think I’m catching up. 

• Like 1