Favorite board game

Seshi

Mine was Scrutineyes. I love the english language and I know a lot of words.... it was my sister's game but she hated playing it with me (I always won...). It is quite a challenge and it will make you think. You have to have fast recall, be observant, and be able to write fast. Needless to say, when she got married she left it behind at my parents place and it found a home with me in my house ^_^ she doesn't care. She doesn't like mental challenges.  After that, Risk and Chess, in that order.

Scrutineyes on Amazon

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

50 minutes ago, Beocat said:

Mine was Scrutineyes. I love the english language and I know a lot of words.... it was my sister's game but she hated playing it with me (I always won...). It is quite a challenge and it will make you think. You have to have fast recall, be observant, and be able to write fast. Needless to say, when she got married she left it behind at my parents place and it found a home with me in my house ^_^ she doesn't care. She doesn't like mental challenges.  After that, Risk and Chess, in that order.

Scrutineyes on Amazon

Can't say I am a expert at this one never was a word game person, but I have played this once, or twice when I was growing up at holiday events with family.

The link you provided leads to an error page I am guessing Amazon removed the item listing. 

We didn't have many board games at home, but I loved the few we had like Scrabble, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, etc. ...

I think I liked Scrabble the most however, I moved to mostly play card games like Magic the Gathering for non-video games.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Sofi said:

Candy landdddddddddddd!! And I liked Monopoly but I'm really bad at that..

I’m sure if I played candy land I’d feel really nostalgic as it was my favorite when I was a little kid. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I’m sure if I played candy land I’d feel really nostalgic as it was my favorite when I was a little kid. 

I used to play that over and over when I was very little.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

And three years later.......

My favorite board games are probably King of Tokyo and Carcassonne. I'm looking forward to getting my recently purchased copy of Hive Carbon, as it's like a lighter version of chess with insects that lasts about 20ish minutes. I also enjoy playing some Catan. If you're looking to annihilate relationships with everyone in your gaming circle, Survive - Escape from Atlantis is a great choice for going about it. 🤣

Edited by viruxx

2 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Haven’t played any in decades, but Stratego was my favorite growing up

It's been a long time since I've played as well. Not quite decades, but it's been a few years. I'm probably rusty at all the games I mentioned above by now, except for Hive. That one's new to me..... so I guess that would be about the same effect as being rusty, then. 😅

• 2 weeks later...

1829, the Railway Game. The game is played on map of Southern England and Wales which is divided into a hexagonal grid.

It's a complex game but the basic idea is that players become directors of railway companies, lay track, buy trains, run a service and collect fares. The money raised can either be kept by the director or paid as dividend to any of the other players who have shares in the company. The choice affects the company's share price.

Actually the game play is much more complicated than that, and you never really know who has won until the end after everyone has added up the value of the shares they own and the cash they have.

I haven't played it for decades mainly because the people I played it with have moved away and none of us really have time to spend up to 10 hours playing a board game.

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, animechat said:

I always playing Monopoly,but never be good in game.

Monopoly was at one time the game my family played when we all got together every Christmas.

It was eventually banned because it caused too many heated arguments, especially when someone built hotels on Mayfair and Park Lane with the deliberate intention of bankrupting everyone else. 😱

Yeah. Monopoly was fun, but I never really understood the rules. I've had that problem a lot with board games. It takes some extra effort to teach me something. That one game, "Sorry!" was really fun, but I took it personally a lot of the time. I can't remember any other board games we used to play though.

All this talk of board games reminds me of the times I and a group of my friends would gather at one of our houses to play board games. It would always be the day before a Bank Holiday and we'd meet up at about 8 or 9 pm and play until 2 or 3 am, which is why it had to be a day before a Bank Holiday. I've no idea now why we did this, but we were young(ish) and somehow playing board games until 2 or 3 in the morning seemed the right thing to do. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Animedragon said:

All this talk of board games reminds me of the times I and a group of my friends would gather at one of our houses to play board games. It would always be the day before a Bank Holiday and we'd meet up at about 8 or 9 pm and play until 2 or 3 am, which is why it had to be a day before a Bank Holiday. I've no idea now why we did this, but we were young(ish) and somehow playing board games until 2 or 3 in the morning seemed the right thing to do. 🙂

That's a good memory, my friend. One to definitely cherish. ^^

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clayton said:

Chess

Candyland

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Jumanji and Zathura

Ouija Board

2013-01-04-415_Ouija-Bored.png

I used to play Chess, but I was a conservative player which I learned only later in life was a bad thing. lol So, I used to play, but I was never any good at it. ^^;

9 hours ago, Rebel Spirit said:

I used to play Chess, but I was a conservative player which I learned only later in life was a bad thing. lol So, I used to play, but I was never any good at it. ^^;

I used to play chess when I was younger, it was very popular for a while where I worked, but I was never any good at it and almost always lost.  It went out of fashion mainly because there was one guy who was a Seriously Bad Loser, he didn't just tip the board over when he lost he launched the board and all the pieces into orbit and their various re-entry trajectories scattered them all over the room!

• Wow 1

9 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I used to play chess when I was younger, it was very popular for a while where I worked, but I was never any good at it and almost always lost.  It went out of fashion mainly because there was one guy who was a Seriously Bad Loser, he didn't just tip the board over when he lost he launched the board and all the pieces into orbit and their various re-entry trajectories scattered them all over the room!

Seems like that guy had anger issues, to say the least. Talk about breathtaking anger management issues. Reminds me of my dad. lol

2 hours ago, Rebel Spirit said:

Seems like that guy had anger issues, to say the least. Talk about breathtaking anger management issues. Reminds me of my dad. lol

Funny thing was that he was the quietest and most placid person in the department, except when it came to losing at chess or after having had too many pints at the pub on Friday lunchtime when he always picked a fight with the two largest guys, it never ended well!  (no one actually got hurt or injured though, and it was fun to watch).

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

Funny thing was that he was the quietest and most placid person in the department, except when it came to losing at chess or after having had too many pints at the pub on Friday lunchtime when he always picked a fight with the two largest guys, it never ended well!  (no one actually got hurt or injured though, and it was fun to watch).

I guess he just didn't like to lose. I know the feeling. Maybe not that bad, but I do know the feeling.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 4:56 PM, Rebel Spirit said:

I actually figured out how to use the kings to fight. Since a king can't move onto a square where they would be in check, then the other king can if say a bishop or other piece is lined up with that square, even if it's right next to the opponent's king. Though if they block the line the other king may escape. 

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1