Google Gaming Service/Console

Geano

So its been quite some time since I posted a topic of any sort, but I have been following this for some time now. Apparently Google is fir sure making a entry into the gaming space possibly with their own hardware which may be a streaming box, or it could be a full fledged console. The Game Developer Conference is just around the corner where we surly will see exactly what it going on.

I have read anything from a legit interest to provide a new service to Google just trying to get more ad space. I personally think both of these are at the very least somewhat true. What dose everyone think about this lets talk about it. 

gpippin-800x440.jpg.030775f13c91194a93704bb3763b76ea.jpg

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

13 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

So its been quite some time since I posted a topic of any sort, but I have been following this for some time now. Apparently Google is fir sure making a entry into the gaming space possibly with their own hardware which may be a streaming box, or it could be a full fledged console. The Game Developer Conference is just around the corner where we surly will see exactly what it going on.

I have read anything from a legit interest to provide a new service to Google just trying to get more ad space. I personally think both of these are at the very least somewhat true. What dose everyone think about this lets talk about it. 

Is that how it's really gonna look? 

It doesn't look very modern. Looks like a previous generation console. But it's only my opinion.

I think it's interesting. I've always believed the more choices for the consumer the better. Up to a certain point of course.

I hope it's a legit gaming console and not just an Android box for casual gaming.

Is it just me or is ARM becoming the next PowerPC?  Not that that's a bad thing necessarily.  RISC has a lot going for it.

As far as "Yeti" and Google's rumored streaming games service.. I'm not a fan of streaming everything over the 'net.  I'm not a big fan of "cloud" services in general.  I'm not a fan of movie/game/etc rentals on a captive platform.  I'm not anti-console, though  do think the industry's current implementation leaves a lot to be desired.  Call me old-school, but I want to own my entertainment.  I've never bought into the Kindle or Alexa or Facebook games.  From what I can tell this seems to be driven by Google wanting a piece of that action.  I'm interested in hearing what Google has to say, but they're for sure going to have to convince me.  (That includes explaining why I want to give the world's biggest advertiser a permanent presence in my home and control over my gaming life.)  Certain "features" - such as a closed platform or microtransactions - would pretty much make any system/service a non-starter for me.  I also would not look favorably on a system or model that requires being online to play.

8 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Don't know if it's true but I kinda don't expect anything decent from it. It's a prejudice on my side, but I just don't see google making anything decent when it comes to gaming.

I agree here fully with you here. Though I do agree even it is a crappy console it will drive the big 3 to work harder, and thus not allow as much crappy games on their consoles. Plus it is just interesting. It will likely just be another hacking outlet for homebrew though in all seriousness.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Is that how it's really gonna look? 

It doesn't look very modern. Looks like a previous generation console. But it's only my opinion.

I think it's interesting. I've always believed the more choices for the consumer the better. Up to a certain point of course.

I hope it's a legit gaming console and not just an Android box for casual gaming.

No that is not the final product reveal it is in fact concept part drawn by reviewing patent documents.

Honestly it is at this point interesting to me. I do not think it will in any way replace any big player such as Microsoft, or Nintendo, or even Sony despite their over inflated ego lately. Though it may serve to deflate those egos to have them bigger companies start to care more about their consumers rather than their bank accounts.

Here is the official Google keynote about the device as well as a video braking it down. Thought it would be god to drop those here since we have more information.

• Like 1

It sounds a lot like OnLive. Does anyone remember that? It lasted longer than people expected but eventually closed down. 

I can't remember why. But I think they realized people's Internet connections were still not up to par.

Maybe in 2019 Google thinks everyone has a fast enough connection now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Maybe in 2019 Google thinks everyone has a fast enough connection now.

And here I sit in the countryside with a max DL speed of 2mbps. Took me a straight week to download GTA5 on my computer back when it was only 50gb.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, SanguineTear said:

And here I sit in the countryside with a max DL speed of 2mbps. Took me a straight week to download GTA5 on my computer back when it was only 50gb.

Oh man, I feel you're pain; been downloading SW:Battlefront 2 for about a week now and it's only like 60% done. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/25/2019 at 11:10 AM, SAO LILDOOP said:

Oh man, I feel you're pain; been downloading SW:Battlefront 2 for about a week now and it's only like 60% done. 

Dang that is a bummer, but it dose illustrate the issue Google is facing with Stadia. Not only that, but I agree with what a lot of people have been saying since its unavailing that is is not exactly their future, but a try before you buy sort of option. At some point if not right at the word go Google will likely incorporate this directly into our Google Accounts. If they don't do that fully at least some fictions of it will be there I am sure from what they are saying. Knowing this I am not completely against it though still on the fence till I see more.

• 2 months later...

Some updates for Google Stadia along with its pricing alone with what it is gonna offer us has released just the other day if anyone is interested to chat about it.

Edited by ArchieKun

I am intrigued by the idea of converting datacenter processing power into consumer gaming console hardware.  Technically it is possible, but there's so many ways for it to go wrong, starting with the price of datacenter cores vs the price of gaming console cores.  Gamers are used to paying about $300 for 8 cores (dual 4-core cpus), or about $35 per core in a PS4 or Xbox.  Datacenters these days are mostly running Xeons, and those cost over $100 per core, or even more.  For Stadia there will also have to be GPUs in the datacenters, so add a bit to that.  Business users are willing to pay that because they're making money with the computing power.  Will gamers?  A Stadia console (the part that you plug in at home, or the app you run on your phone) will probably be pretty cheap.  Maybe they'll even include it "free" with a subscription, like the lower-end phones on some cellphone plans.  But I strongly suspect they'll more than make up for it with high subscription prices.  I can't imagine the overall cost to the consumer being anything but very high.

There's also some bad dynamics in terms of pay-to-play.  I fully expect there to be "upper tier" subscriptions where people who are willing to pay more for their subscription get more cores assigned to "their" game console, and thus better gaming performance.  You thought Candy Crush was bad?  Just wait.  :D 

Not all of it is bad though.  If all they're doing is basically streaming results and all the actual interaction between the compute nodes happens in the datacenter then there's all sorts of intriguing options for things like MMORPGs, especially when you throw VR into the mix. 

Overall I'm looking forward to seeing how Stadia pans out.  That said I have no intention of being among the first to sign up.  :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/17/2019 at 1:37 PM, ArchieKun said:

ts pricing alone with what it is gonna offer us has released just the other day if anyone is interested to chat about it.

Interesting that AMD is making a big deal at E3 about partnering so closely with Google over Stadia.  I love what AMD has done with Threadripper.  Even though it is somewhat out of my price range at the moment, like all electronics I expect the usual progression down to a level I can reasonably contemplate purchasing at some point, and the specs are already beating existing offerings on every bullet point except single-thread performance.  Even there prices on last-gen market offerings are simply not worth it, especially as single-thread becomes less important.  If this is what we can look forward to gaming with in a year or two then things are going to get VERY interesting indeed.

I especially like AMD's incredible I/O specs.  Even "just" a Zeppelin (Ryzen 7) die has a full 32 PCIe lanes connected direct to the CPU (core?  chiplet?), with 24 of those reaching the motherboard.  Threadripper, with its 4094-pin socket has a full 64 PCIe lane count, and Epyc, AMD's datacenter core, has 128 PCIe lanes!  The dual-socket Epyc motherboards I've seen (well, heard of) use 64 of those per CPU to communicate over AMD's (purportedly) ultra-scalable "Infinity Fabric"!

Ok, so what?  That's an incredible amount of I/O bandwidth connected directly to the CPU(s), that's what.  Not exactly a return to the zero wait-states of the early days, but that makes it a lot easier/faster to get data transferred between the CPU and memory.  And any GPUs on the same die as well of course.  That in turn means things like much lower latency, higher frame rates, higher throughput, and overall less wasted CPU cycles waiting on data.  All at much cheaper prices than we're all used to.  I'm imagining a rack of Epyc MBs in the datacenter with 8-channel memory and every die having an "internal" GPU core (or two, or 4) and the "extra" PCIe lanes connected to gobs of high speed SSD and 100Gbit+ networks.  I'm beginning to see how Stadia might compete with existing PlayStation and Xbox consoles.  I'm a bit less convinced about Epyc in the datacenter competing successfully with threadripper on the PC or against a next-gen console at home, but that's a year or so down the road at least.  For now, grab your popcorn.  It should be interesting to see how things develop, regardless of whether your preference is PCs, mobile, or consoles.  :)

• 3 years later...

So Google is shutting down Stadia.  Not exactly a surprise given how much they were charging for what they were providing.  Technically I think they could have made it work but having to pay so much for an untried system was a non-starter for many potential customers.