Anime Chit Chat

Seshi

Hey guys, I wanted a place to discuss random anime thoughts that came to mind but didn’t have their own thread.

So here goes, anime Chit Chat. Let’s see if we can keep this thread going.

I’ve watched a lot of anime over the years and tend to rewatch anime here and there. Anyone else do this? Anyway it tends to make for random thoughts in the middle of the night 🤣 So this thread should be useful at least a little.

I really need to get around to finishing “Monster” that series was on point.

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, OtterNmyWater said:

For some reason, I don't particularly like rewatching anime. I think it depends on how much I like the anime in question, but I would honestly prefer to watch something I haven't already seen.

Trust me after you have seen like 100 or so anime you want to rewatch them as time passes.

• Like 2

I actually do have a desire to go back & rewatch some of the titles from when I was first really getting into anime to see if my impression of them has change over time & as my experience became more diverse. Same with titles where I'd previously only seen the dubbed version. Unfortunately my current obsession is currently airing series. I largely blame this on the fact that I've only recently (a couple years) entered the wonderful world of streaming content (previously I'd lived in a rural area where the internet connection made streaming unusable). Being able to view series more or less as they air is something new to me, and even though I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually, I have a rather substantial backlog/bucket list of older titles I've never seen or completed. It's truly wonderful how diverse anime can be, but also frustrating that there is only so much time that can be devoted to it. If the day ever comes that I retire I have a couple hundred titles on disc I can watch at my leisure (started buying them back in the late 90's early 2000's after all :lol:

Monster is actually one of those bucket list titles for me. I started watching/recording it when it was on cable (Syfy or Chiller) and got pretty far into it (somewhere around the Magnificent Steiner part). But then there was a power outage one week and I missed an episode. Happened a couple other times due to technical difficulties, so I decided I would just wait until they started re-airing episodes, but they wound up cancelling it. So I never got to finish 😭

• Like 1

I'd like to get back into One Piece someday too (I previously left off somewhere during the Skypiea arc). Unfortunately those mega series are pretty intimidating ( I generally prefer something more finite :P)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

I'd like to get back into One Piece someday too (I previously left off somewhere during the Skypea arc). Unfortunately those mega series are pretty intimidating ( I generally prefer something more finite :P)

I’m not sure I’ll continue One Piece. I stopped right after Luffy entered the Grand Line. For some reason the show lost its appeal after a while.

• Like 1

I rewatch anime episodes often if I just want something on in the background. In terms of series as of late I have not rewatched entire series, but I wouldn't mind doing that again.

4 hours ago, SanguineTear said:

can never keep up with the really long series to be honest. I kinda prefer short and sweet in a way.

I agree, and disagree with this. It is true there are some series that are just so long its hard to imagine watching the entire thing. Though I have found that breaking it up into portions is the best way. Like if the series is 100 episodes, or so even watching 6 per day will see progress. Its certainly more of a commitment. 

I also never re-watch Anime as my goal as a fan is to watch as many good anime as possible.

I can't achieve that goal if I keep re-watching stuff.

Kind of an unpopular opinion, but I feel Monster dragged on a bit at around 70 episodes. It could have been shorter.

But the show did introduce a lot of characters and a lot of perspectives so it became quite long.

Just a random thought on length, it's interesting how anime nowadays keeps getting shorter and shorter.

There was a time when 26 episodes was considered average. And 13 episodes was short. 

Today, 13 is the average and 26 onwards is long. Maybe years from now 6 episodes per season would be the average.

I do understand the studios though. It doesn't make sense putting in a ton of money and time on 52 episodes if it won't be a hit.

Might as well make 1 season with 13 episodes first. Then if fans like it, create another 13 episodes.

• Like 1

I Never rewatched any anime but If I would, I would rewatch Death Note. It's my favorite series and nothing has even came close to taking that #1 spot Imo.

I Like both Long and Short series but I wouldnt see myself watching Detective Conan or One Piece :D 

Alot of them were just 12 for the season that’s wrapping up. And I remember some recents that were just 10 (Recovery of an MMO Junkie and both seasons of Konosuba).

While the shorter seasons are ok for SoL and comedies, anything with a larger story really needs at least 25 or so to not feel rushed IMO.

Edited by Ohiotaku

2 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Alot of them were just 12 for the season that’s wrapping up. And I remember some recents that were just 10 (Recovery of an MMO Junkie and both seasons of Konosuba).

While the shorter seasons are ok for SoL and comedies, anything with a larger story really needs at least 25 or so to not feel rushed IMO.

Well I’m not sure how long shield hero’s first season is to be, but I was actually feeling like the story got put back on track as far as timeline and plot go, for the coming wave battle, if that going to mark the end of the season that’d be fine with me.

Thnx @Ohiotaku you tha real MVP.

Anyone else Digging the Rising of the shield hero’s OP? I’m watching dubbed right now (Crazy for me but the translation pretty good, and Incan watch with hubby) but the song is like half in English? Or is it just so fast and all in English? Idk but I can only make out some of the words and I like the song a lot.

My general preference is for subtitled over dubbed. The only dubbed anime I'm watching at present is Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) 2202. I primarily started listening to it dubbed through Funi's site because I wanted to show as much support as possible for their decision to rescue it and do right by it after Voyager botched the previous release (Now I just wish Funi would do a remaster of the original series or at least the movies). I actually think the dub is quite good, but there may be some nostalgia as well since the Americanized original series was my gateway to anime. Most dubs aren't what I would actually call "bad", but the Japanese voice actors usually seem to put more emotion into their performances IMO. I haven't had time to try Shield Hero's dub and probably won't any time soon.

As far as the OP, yeah it's really good. Over on CR's forums a bunch of members have our own awards we nominate series for each season in  different categoris & Shield Hero is getting my vote for best OP. I've noticed that a lot of OP  & ED incorporate English lyrics. I think they mainly do it because they think it makes it sound cooler :lol:, though sometimes they sound kinda awkward :lol:

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

There's a lot of anime that I've rewatched. I enjoy rewatching Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon from time to time to be honest. Rewatching them gives me nice nostalgic feelings.

• Agree 1

I've been doing a lot of re-watching and starting random series as of late, having way too much time on my hands. I honestly have a hard time NOT re-watching a few certain titles. For a while, I wasn't finding many new releases that I found interesting. I kinda took my time finishing several larger anime, and put off watching a few hyped-up anime that had huge popularity. Until this year, I tended to wait until an anime had at least half of the initial season online, then I'd start. So far I'm following 4 new spring anime from this year as they are released. It's a different experience for me to be impatient for an anime from the very first episode as they're being aired. I'm not very good a being patient, I think. Aa far as anime goes at least. And some webcomics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Random thought of the day: I really like anime for the ability to watch 20 minute episodes of a show.. most movies and regular tv shows are at least an hour long. 

Anime just fits my lifestyle a bit more. I’m even growing fond of weekly airing anime. It’s satisfying yet not too time consuming.

Edited by Seshi

@Seshi The shortness of the episodes really helps encourage me to watch, since it isn't that big of an investment. 

I tend to procrastinate on watching movies because their length is so overwhelming for me. It's the same for series with 24+ episodes, which is a shame. I'm probably missing a lot of good shows that are on the longer side. 

A great thing about the weekly and seasonal format is the variety. It's guaranteed you'll find something good to watch with so many shows airing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm kinda (but only kinda) the opposite. I really like to take my time and fully enjoy the heck out of something, which goes for most things. I don't like to do things on the side but really concentrate on it and take my time. I wouldn't even mind if  movies were 3 or 4 hours long. But, as many here I guess, I just can't find the time for it. There's so much other stuff to do that the about half hour episode format seems to work well to try and fit it in somewhere between work and other stuff.

• Like 2