Anime Chit Chat

Seshi

Crunchyroll had been adding a lot of older titles to their catalog the past couple weeks. One of their recent acquisitions was Kimagure Orange Road. I remember it being one of the “classic” titles people were talking about when I first got into anime on vhs. Also, Cosmo Warrior Zero appears to be another entry in the Leiji-verse. Added both to my bucketlist.

I also remember watching Elemental Gelade (it was ok, but not anything special)

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/05/16-1/kimagure-orange-road-and-more-join-crunchyrolls-anime-catalog

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/05/15/crunchyroll-adds-eat-man-98-and-more-to-anime-catalog

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

I may track down Kimagure.  I saw some of it (quite) a while back, but not all.  It was kind of long and what I saw of it wasn't really worth writing home about, but it was good enough that I'd be interested in going back to fill in the gaps and complete it.  For closure if nothing else.

I also see stuff like Inukami, which was pretty stupid, but fun nevertheless.  :) 

• Like 1

They also added Legend of Black Heaven which I kind of enjoyed up till the conclusion anyway. Basically the MC was a somewhat successful rockstar in his youth, but is now a middle-aged salaryman in a thankless job and has a wife and young kid who don’t really seem to respect him anymore. One day he’s approached by an attractive and younger co-worker who claims to be an alien and that his music is the key to saving their civilization. Obviously a lot of humor and satire, but some feels as well. The biggest shortcoming I recall is that the art style was pretty dated.

Edited by Ohiotaku

36 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

The biggest shortcoming I recall is that the art style was pretty dated. 

I pronounce that "nostalgia factor", tyvm...  :)

There was also this in the Crunchy news feed about UchiMusume.  I liked Usagi Drop & from what I can tell this seems to have a similar vibe.  Another one to add to my list of things to check out at any rate.

26 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I pronounce that "nostalgia factor", tyvm...  :)

Sorry, instinctive disclaimer from making recommendations on other sites to less experienced anime aficionados. 

Going off on something of a tangent, there’s a currently airing sports drama called Mix: Meisei Story that definitely has an oldschool feel to it, both in it’s visual and storytelling style. Wasn’t sure about staying with it, but the nostalgic feels seem to be winning me over. It’s supposed to be something of a sequel to a series called Touch I wasn’t familiar with. Of course baseball in general gives me a sense of nostalgia. Funny thing is until recently sports anime was one of my least favorite genres.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

Of course baseball in general gives me a sense of nostalgia. Funny thing is until recently sports anime was one of my least favorite genres.

Have you seen ookiku furikabutte? I enjoyed this baseball anime, need to finish it sometime.

36 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Have you seen ookiku furikabutte?

<googles it> Ah, Big Wind Up. Heard of it but haven’t seen any of it. 

Until recently the only sports series I’d seen were Taisho Baseball Girls snd Battle Athletes (which hardly counts :P). But in the past 2 years I’ve watched and enjoyed to varying degrees: Megalobox, Hanebado, Hinomaru Sumo, Money Pitch, Harukana Receive and currently Mix & Cinderella Nine.

Edited by Ohiotaku

6 hours ago, Seshi said:

Megalobox is on my to watch list.

My favorite sport anime are Haikyuu, Hajime no Ippo, and Baby steps.

I admit sports anime is not among my favorites most of the time, but one that dose come to mind is Keijo which is a echi one for sure, but defiantly worth watching at least once.

Edited by ArchieKun
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

I admit sports anime is not among my favorites most of the time, but one that dose come to mind is Kago which is a echi one for sure, but defiantly worth watching at least once.

Ass-ume you mean Keijo, the one about girls doing butt sumo (pun intended) 🤣

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

8 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

Ass-ume you mean Keijo, the one about girls doing butt sumo (pun intended) 🤣

Yes thank you I messed up the spelling there. It is hilarious far better in sub though pretty annoying in the dub if I am honest. 

9 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Yes thank you I messed up the spelling there. It is hilarious far better in sub though pretty annoying in the dub if I am honest. 

Dub is definitely not done well every time, even today. Lol I can’t even imagine trying to imitate those cute Japanese girls 😜 is there even a substitute? I think not.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Seshi said:

Dub is definitely not done well every time, even today. Lol I can’t even imagine trying to imitate those cute Japanese girls 😜 is there even a substitute? I think not.

Yah I heard it dubbed during a discussion panel at one of the cons I attend. It was a rather interesting one. It was 18+ of course, and the dubbed voice acting was so bad and the people in the room were so loud it was just a nightmare.

• Funny 1

48 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Hahaha you were like “must get out of here”... stumble stumble... “which way is out” 

Nah the wifu helped me out, but I almost wanted to hork from sitting up. It was a great anime con.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m curious if there’s a term to describe eastern/oriental steampunk (which is usually England/European society). Reason I’m wpndering is I’ve recently watching Kabenari of the Iron Fortress and am trying to figure out how to describe it. Of course zombie apocalypse also applies, and I’m noticing some similarities to Attack on Titan & Kimetsu no Yaiba.

• Confused 1

That was the tag attached, but it seemed a bit strange since most examples I’m aware of are a sort of reimagined Victorian England (Pricess Principal as an anime example) but Kabaneri has the distinct elements of Feudal Lords, Shogun and Bushido while keeping the common link of steam powered technology.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

I never got into sports anime, maybe I just don't like anything about sports. Closest thing I could watch to sports anime was Baki the grappler, since some martial arts are sports, some what. And Baki and the rest of the fighters don't have any super powers. 

Although it’s classified as “Martial Arts” I’d say it can go into the sports category. Though I haven’t seen much of that particular martial arts anime due to the amount of gore, so I can’t tell you the similarities it may share with other sports anime aside from it being mildly related by being focused on a martial art. Seems like it may be similar to HSD Kenichi, but that anime had a lot more going on than most sports anime, so I’m not sure how similar they really are: as opposed to comparing a true sports anime like Hajime no Ippo, to say: Baby steps.

Just finished the latest Asobi Asobase OVA. The first segment was really funny with the girls doing cosplay. The second segment was about sensei and two of her friends when they were students. Wasn’t as good but still entertaining. Afterwards I watched a couple Youtube videos of the VAs goofing around. Even in IRL the girls are a riot. Kasumi’s VA is definitely the best as she also voices Mina (Eyebrows) from Takagi-san and Chika from Kaguya-sama.

Edited by Ohiotaku