Anime Chit Chat

Seshi

I just found out there was an Avatar The Last Air Bender sequel; The Legend of Korra. What did y’all think about it? Did it live up to the original greatness of the last air bender?

The general consensus is NO. It’s biggest shortcoming IMO was that where the original was a single coherent story divided into different chapters, but each season of Korra felt like it was telling it’s own story, albeit with a cast  of recurring characters and some story overlap. There were some pretty cool depictions of characters from the previous series though, so as a fan of the original it might be worth checking out. The other thing is what they tried to make a big deal about in the finale felt more like a gimmick that was just tacked on at the end for attention.

Korra & Asami being a same sex couple. Didn’t feel real to me unlike Ruby & Sapphire from  Steven Universe

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

@Seshi pretty much what @Ohiotaku just said. It was good and bad. It went more into a "liberal" direction. Instead of being about a good plot where they were saving the world or something, it went waaaaay too political. It went down the road of victimized subdemographics (blood benders being ostracized from water benders for example and having to hide themselves and "reacting" to it by behaving bad because they felt unfairly treated) instead of celebrating and uplifting diversity. It ended up feeling like someone was pushing their politics onto you and the sudden 'hetero to homo' switch of the final couple made no sense for either character's history and again felt like forced politics. I did like seeing Ang's kids and grandkids but that was pretty much it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I gave Konosuba a try tonight...

I do not know what I was expecting, but I found myself facepalming several times.

One episode became two...then three...I did stop before a fourth, but I will probably be back for more of it.  The comedic value was exquisite. 

That sounds fun! There are a few other here enjoying that series right @Kinbaryu and @Ohiotaku

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seshi said:

That sounds fun! There are a few other here enjoying that series right @Kinbaryu and @Ohiotaku

KonoSuba is a pretty fun anime. I'd recommend it as a comedy to anyone who likes fantasy RPG elements. It's got a raunchy sense of humor at times, but the subtle jokes are what get me.

• Like 3

@The History Kid

Glad you’re enjoying it, definitely one of the funnier recent series IMO. There’s a movie coming out in Japan soon, hopefully CR will stream it eventually

The characters are also pretty prominent in Isekai Quartet, though if you’re not familiar with the other series, a lot of jokes aren’t as funny.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Even the seemingly normal characters like Darkness' best-friend-forever got me a time or two.  

I can’t believe there’s a character that can be referred to as *so and so’ best friend forever that in itself is too funny 😂 

• 2 weeks later...

Any more hints on their upcoming additions to the new season?

#shieldherohopeful

But I’ve also seen that there may be some promise to the new Isekai Cheat Magician as well 

• Like 1

@Seshi

Yeah, forget everything I said about Arifureta. I just watched the first ep on my lunchbreak. Nothing even remotely likable about the MC and it was almost entirely just him rambling to himself. The parts about being looked down on and being mistreated sounded kinda like Naofumi, but can already tell they’re nothing alike. Poor writing and ugly CGI as well.

Hopefully Cheat Magician will be more promising.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

@Seshi

Yeah, forget everything I said about Arifureta. I just watched the first ep on my lunchbreak. Nothing even remotely likable about the MC and it was almost entirely just him rambling to himself. The parts about being looked down on and being mistreated sounded kinda like Naofumi, but can already tell they’re nothing alike. Poor writing and ugly CGI as well.

Hopefully Cheat Magician will be more promising.

Sorry for the letdown. I didn’t expect it to be worth watching tbh. Hopes up for cheat magician!

• Agree 1

Just finished High School DxD Hero.  I actually enjoy the story and characters despite the EXTREME ecchiness of it all.

For my next anime I'm wanting to change tone quite a bit a go with something different.  Decided on steins gate. :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

I enjoyed the original Steins Gate series and movie very much. Steins Gate 0, not so much.

I feel like many people share the same sentiment. Did you finish Steins;Gate 0? I have only seen the original, the movie, and some specials.

@Seshi, Ray is my favorite character so far, but I like Emma and Norman too. I'm kind of glad Emma is the protagonist, though.

Edited by Kinbaryu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinbaryu said:

Did you finish Steins;Gate 0?

I did, but I think I actually enjoyed the first cour more  than the second. 

2 hours ago, Kinbaryu said:

Just finished the Promised Neverland. Wowwwwwwwwwww

I’m definitely curious to learn more about the world outside the orphanage

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Decided to give VRV a try since it’s just a couple dollars a month more than my standalone CR subscription aabd also gives me access to Hidive (and some “cartoon” channels). Of Sentai’s new anime series, enjoying The Demon Girl Next Door which is proving to he a funny (and at times cute) parody of Magical Girl anime.

spacer.png

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

As recently as last season almost all of Funi’s & Sentai’s simulcasts were available on CrunchyRoll, but looks like that golden age has ended. Hate to see it happen, but honestly surprised it didn’t happen sooner.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:02 AM, Ohiotaku said:

As recently as last season almost all of Funi’s & Sentai’s simulcasts were available on CrunchyRoll, but looks like that golden age has ended. Hate to see it happen, but honestly surprised it didn’t happen sooner.

And I already thought crunchyroll didn’t have a good selection 

Their simulcast lineup is a bit lacking. But their back catalog is still pretty impressive especially if you go the VRV route which gives you access to Hidive’s titles. And CR still has some good exclusive titles (Konosuba, Laid Back (Yuru) Camp, A Place Further Than the Universe). 

My only complaint about VRV is an apparent glitch with the subtitles on their version of Hidive where sometimes the same line repeats over and over taking up a lot of the screen (I didn’t notice this happening on the standalone version)

Funimation is sharing a lot of their simulcasts with Hulu, but not all. And they seem to be keeping the dubs to themselves.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Informative 1