Anime Chit Chat

Seshi

I normally don’t care about dubs (the only one I’m currently watching is The Ones Within) but I still find it annoying when they only have one version on a service and the other version on a different service.

4 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

I normally don’t care about dubs (the only one I’m currently watching is The Ones Within) but I still find it annoying when they only have one version on a service and the other version on a different service.

I don’t either, but to watch with others in my house it has to be dubbed. I like watching anime with others too 😊

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After watching a couple more episodes of Carole & Tuesday, thinking it’s taking the same approach to the music industry, that Megalobox did to boxing. Also wondering if it takes place in the same universe as Cowboy Bebop, since I think it’s using the same form of currency.

I mean CR is kind of pointless compared to all the free anime streaming sites out there, that even have animes from the 80s.  Not to mention watching ads for 15 min for 1 ep.  While you don't have to watch ads on free streaming sites. Besides taking money and making a crappy cartoon like high guardian spice. When they should be giving that money to the anime companies in japan, or using that money to make their site better.

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1
  • Silly 1

1 hour ago, Serge heartless said:

I mean CR is kind of pointless compared to all the free anime streaming sites out there, that even have animes from the 80s.  Not to mention watching ads for 15 min for 1 ep.  While you don't have to watch ads on free streaming sites. Besides taking money and making a crappy cartoon like high guardian spice. When they should be giving that money to the anime companies in japan, or using that money to make their site better.

Well, except that the ads (or your subscription fees) are what is paying the animators to make the stuff you're watching "for free".  Ain't nothing for free.  Sure, you can get away with it.  You can skip out on the check at a restaurant too.  Far be it from me to pretend the current system is perfect, but "getting away with" not paying the people who pay the people who produce the content you enjoy is a pretty good way to make sure that said content isn't produced in the future.  And that would be a shame.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I kinda agree with both of you. Given how big CR is (or at least used to be) their site could be much better. Watching anime for free will in the end always be at the cost of anime producers. That being said, if you want to watch anime in English outside the US, it can be pretty pricey. Many of the titles are not even released because of some licensing issue. If I access CR for example, I only see a fraction of the titles someone from the US gets shown, they don't even appear on the anime titles list.
And if you want to actually own them, we are often talking about 60-70 dollars per season with only a single language, no subtitles or other languages such as English (not even the original Japanese dub in most cases, even for the Ghibli movies).

So I'd say if you actually have the money, you should definitely pay for as much of the anime you consume, for moral reasons as well as simply for practical reasons such as pumping money into the anime industry. If you don't have the money, you are often either left with not watching any anime or watching it illegally. That being said, getting a subscription at CR for example is around 10 bucks a month, so even if you only get a fraction of what others get to see, it might be a great compromise of paying as much as you can and watching what they offer, and either not watching the rest or illegally streaming it.

Edited by Illusion of Terra

It’s not as if those “free” sites are goodwill ambassadors spreading the love of anime. If they don’t charge fees or use ads, then they’re making money off you in a way you’re not aware of.  None of which goes to the people actually making or working on the series you’re watching (unless you think they’re anonymously dropping off bags of money on their doorsteps).

As far as High Guardian Spice, pretty sure not a single episode has seen the light of day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Well, except that the ads (or your subscription fees) are what is paying the animators to make the stuff you're watching "for free".  Ain't nothing for free.  Sure, you can get away with it.  You can skip out on the check at a restaurant too.  Far be it from me to pretend the current system is perfect, but "getting away with" not paying the people who pay the people who produce the content you enjoy is a pretty good way to make sure that said content isn't produced in the future.  And that would be a shame.

The problem is you don't know what CR is going to do with your money, like make a crappy cartoon that no one wanted. It would be like going to a restaurant, and them taking your money and giving it to their other company which sells cigarettes or vaping products. Which I wouldn't want to support. So that is what its like with CR, I don't want to support something I don't want to. And I have no say in the matter.  Now I do buy anime dvds when they come out, though the dvds take a while to come out. Who knows how many thousands of dollars CR wasted on high guardian spice, but that money is gone now, when it could have been used on something more useful. 

1 hour ago, Serge heartless said:

The problem is you don't know what CR is going to do with your money, like make a crappy cartoon that no one wanted. It would be like going to a restaurant, and them taking your money and giving it to their other company which sells cigarettes or vaping products. Which I wouldn't want to support. So that is what its like with CR, I don't want to support something I don't want to. And I have no say in the matter.  Now I do buy anime dvds when they come out, though the dvds take a while to come out. Who knows how many thousands of dollars CR wasted on high guardian spice, but that money is gone now, when it could have been used on something more useful. 

The fact that CR is taking so much money from me that they have enough to waste like that annoys me too.  I want my money to go to the creators of the anime that I watch.  CR can keep enough to do business.  That's fine.  Someone has to pay for bandwidth and drive space and CPU cycles and all that.  Even beyond that, I have my own list of improvements that I'd like CR to make to their service to make it better for me.  (Full disclosure, I am a CR subscriber.)  Enhancements take money.  Somebody has to pay the programmers too.

That said, if CR (or anyone else in the distribution chain) has "extra" money then they should lower their price, enhance their service, and/or give it to the creators of the content that I like.  Doing anything else is getting into pretty sketchy territory as far as I'm concerned.  CR says that they want to give back to the fans.  That's fine.  The best way to do that however is to let the fans keep their money in the first place, or give it to the people with a track record of producing good content, ideally so they can produce more such content.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t know much about Crunchyroll or the anime y’all are referring to being wasted money, but maybe they are testing the waters to see how well they can produce an anime, being that as I heard, they will be losing some popular licenses from Funimation studio, which might tank them if they can’t come up with a contingency. (All of which is for arguments sake on my part, and speculation)

55 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I don’t know much about Crunchyroll or the anime y’all are referring to being wasted money, but maybe they are testing the waters to see how well they can produce an anime, being that as I heard, they will be losing some popular licenses from Funimation studio, which might tank them if they can’t come up with a contingency. (All of which is for arguments sake on my part, and speculation)

That's a problem with the industry and copyrights.  If I could make one change to copyrights I'd make it illegal to do exclusive deals.  All they do is balkanize the industry and drive up costs to the consumer.  I wouldn't want to set prices, but I would require that content producers would have to allow all distributors to have equal access at whatever price the producer sets.  That way the distributors would have to compete on things like efficiency and customer service.  Just as important, new distributors would have easier access to the market if the bigger players started playing games and trying to screw their customers or the producers.  If I could just go to Funimation if I didn't like CR, and still be guaranteed access to all the same content (or customers, if I'm a producer) that I had on CR, then the problem would take care of itself.  The rules should be encouraging free markets like that, including competition.

Right now the rules encourage monopolization.  It is a fight over who gets to monopolize the most marbles and it sucks.  Because of that it is way too easy for the big players to start doing silly things like CR's attempt to produce their own anime that waste their customers' money and/or divert it from the people it should be supporting.  And get away with it.  If you don't like what CR or Funi or Netflix is doing then as a customer you don't have many options.  You HAVE to subscribe to every distribution network - even the bad ones - if you want to make sure you have (legal) access to all the content.

To be sure, CR isn't alone.  Look at Netflix, google, apple, etc. also producing their own content for example.  Like I said, it is an industry-wide problem.  Everybody is doing it because they want to ensure that they at least have access to -some- content for their distribution network.  That wouldn't be a problem if everyone was guaranteed equal access.  Chalk it up to another failure of "leadership" (aka Congress).

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Well I don't want to talk too much about it, but CR's high guardian spice was trying to push for a political agenda.  And some people aren't for that. 

• Like 1

High Guardian Spice was going to be an American made “cartoon” marketed as a Crunchyroll Original series . It’s promotional video consisted of a handfull of conceptual drawings that looked like a Cartoon Network prospect and the creative staff raving about how “diverse” they were and how they were doing something revolutionary. Needless to say CR subscribers went ballistic. While a lot of the comments were hateful, there were also legitimate complaints and numerous people pointing out that CLAMP (an all female team) has been creating anime & manga for decades that appeal across gender boundaries. Not to mention A Place Further than the Universe & Yuru Camp (both with female centric casts) had received highly positive comments on the forums with practically no prelaunch promotion from CR. Not to mention many anime fans have an issue with western animation. Since then, nothing official has been released on the project. So stupid when they could’ve just put it on the Cartoon Hangover channel of VRV (same owners as CR) where it would fit in just fine.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

CR's high guardian spice was trying to push for a political agenda

Possibly, though it is hard to say since it doesn't actually exist yet.  That's kind of beside the point however.  I mean, it isn't like there haven't been political anime before, right?  The bigger problem, IMHO, is that a distributor like CR is skimming - overcharging customers and/or underpaying producers - enough to do something like that themselves in the first place.  Even if I agreed with the message and/or it was an awesome anime I'd consider that the main problem here.

Just now, efaardvark said:

Possibly, though it is hard to say since it doesn't actually exist yet.  That's kind of beside the point however.  I mean, it isn't like there haven't been political anime before, right?  The bigger problem, IMHO, is that a distributor like CR is skimming - overcharging customers and/or underpaying producers - enough to do something like that themselves in the first place.  Even if I agreed with the message and/or it was an awesome anime I'd consider that the main problem here.

its been known for months now on youtube, forums and news. Anyone can search for what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter if the show never comes out, it was tying to send a message that a lot of people don't agree with. 

28 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

its been known for months now on youtube, forums and news. Anyone can search for what I'm talking about.

Sure, I've probably already seen most of them.  As a paying CR customer I'll go out on a limb and say I'm at least as informed as most on the subject.  Nobody outside the company has seen any part of the final product however.  Personally I have my doubts if the show even exists yet in final form, especially given the lack of any news on its progress for many months now, including not a single reference at Anime Expo 2019 or even CRX.  There's not even any reference on the crunchyroll site itself.  At least not outside the forums.  Maybe they're just keeping a low profile after being sniped at so much.  I don't know.  Last rumor I heard had them trying to sell it to HBO.  I can see (parent company) AT&T trying to do that just to get rid of a controversial "asset" that might negatively impact their corporate image.

Or not.  Whatever.  Like I said, that's all beside the point as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2019 at 3:45 PM, Ohiotaku said:

I actually strongly agree with their stance... Though it sadens me at times that I cant find their movies online. I really love getting to watch ghibli films... So I guess I will have to collect them all

• Agree 1

I actually prefer to buy the stuff I know I like.  Stuff tends to become unavailable on streaming sites.

That said, I like the streaming sites too.  Their role (for me anyway) is to help me find stuff I like.  I'd never have found half the stuff I like (and then bought) if I hadn't first seen it on a stream somewhere.  Who is going to pay to buy the disc(s) for everything that is released, when only a small percentage has any re-watch value anyway?

It takes all kinds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Finally got around to starting Higurashi (When They Cry) last night since there aren’t any new series I watch on Tuesdays. Determined to make it through all of it (had previously only seen the first series). No way I’ll finish by Halloween though.