Anime Classics/Great Anime You Haven't Watched

Illusion of Terra

The idea behind this thread is to talk about anime that are generally considered a classic or great (by whatever community/standard out there) that you haven't seen. I'm thinking something in the line of the big ones like let's say One Piece. And maybe talk about why you haven't seen it and others might en/discourage you to watch it, or tell you if it might be an anime you'd actually enjoy.

I've never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, not even a single episode. I don't really know why, but I remember as a child seeing it in a manga and it seemed to have to do with mecha which I'm not a huge fan of. To me it seemed to be rather dark with a strong focus on the mecha part. You think it is a must-watch? Apparently it deals with quite deep topics though, which is why I might be interested.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

I haven’t seen NGE either, but also have no interest in mecha these days. I used to love Gundam Wing & G gundam, & Zoids growing up, but for some reason I’m not into it now.

I also haven’t seen Ghost in the Shell, which now has its own live action movie? So probably worth watching?

Up until recently I’d been avoiding watching Sword Art Online because it was a “newer” and in my opinion newer anime had gotten worse 😐and I’m picky to begin with... So after all the hype for it finally went away (after year) It was recommended to me by a friend ☹️ So I watched episode 1.... I was so disappointed.. Hate it

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I started watching, but only got to about episode 3, before I lost interest. I do intend to watch in full someday.

Another would be Fate/Stay Night. I rhink I made it to around episode 6 on that one. I do have a question: Is Unlimited Bladeworks essentially the same as the original series & would I miss anything by skipping the original  and starting with UBW?

@Seshi
I have seen a bit of Ghost in the Shell many many years ago but I didn't find it too interesting back then. Might look into it when I have some time though.

Haven't seen Sword Art Online either but I mainly avoided it because (as far as I remember) it had this whole "people in a game" idea which I generally don't like too much. I think Rising of the Shield Hero did it very well though. But is Sword Art Online already something really big? I knew it was popular but always thought it was more of a niche thing?

Edited by Illusion of Terra

1 minute ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@Seshi
But is Sword Art Online already something really big? I knew it was popular but always thought it was more of a niche thing?

Yea dude, everyone is talking about it 🤨 Little kids too... I had a yard sale a couple years ago and was getting rid of some old anime and this group of kids were all talking about SAO, like it was the new standard “must watch” anime, and then there’s my peers also talking about it.. ugh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@Seshi Well, I guess that's one more of the hugely popular ones I haven't seen 😂Don't know how I missed that it was so popular though. But for some reason it just doesn't seem interesting to me.

Well there’s a whole sub reddit devoted to haters of SAO and probably elsewhere.. lots of logs about it. I’d say you’re not missing anything 🤣 so no worries 

I kind of have mixed feelings about being right to avoid it. One: I’m right that it wasn’t good (to me) but Two: Being right about anime decline 😞

• Like 1

As far as NGE, I have seen it including End of Evangelion and thought it was alright, but not really my type of series. I was kind of interested in thr remake movies, but it’s been so long since the last one, I’m starting to think it’s just a waste of time.

As far as SAO, more than anything I see comments on how over rated people think it is :lol: I wound up dropping it during Alicization, but honestly I didn’t think the previous seasons were that great either.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Not really. While it does incorporate religious symbolism and psychological jargon, personally I thought it was more interested in being controversial/shocking than insightful/deep.

Another series for myself: I've never been able to finish a single series from the Gundam franchise. Iron Blooded Orphans was probably the one I came closest to (almost finished the first season). Whatever it is about these series that appeal to it's fans, it just doesn't click with me.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

I haven't touched most of the popular shounen shows that were gateway series for a lot of anime fans. I'd formed negative preconceptions about series like Yu-Gi-Oh! based on advertising, where all you ever see is Yami-Yugi. I'm now reading the manga and watching Duel Monsters, and I'm enjoying it. I do plan on giving the other shows a chance (currently watching Dragon Ball), they're just not at the top of my list right now. 

6 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I started watching, but only got to about episode 3, before I lost interest. I do intend to watch in full someday.

Another would be Fate/Stay Night. I rhink I made it to around episode 6 on that one. I do have a question: Is Unlimited Bladeworks essentially the same as the original series & would I miss anything by skipping the original  and starting with UBW?

It seems like there's a million ways people recommend watching Fate anime. UBW is a separate route though, and in my opinion unless you plan to read the visual novel it doesn't really matter. The 2006 series has elements from all three routes, so that might even spoil the Heaven's Feel movies for you.

To this day, I still have not seen Akira. I would recommend not watching anime solely based on whether it’s considered a classic or not. Watch it because you are genuinely interested in watching the anime. Personally, I do like Evangelion, but if the mecha genre isn’t your cup of tea, you are better off skipping it. 

Edited by OtterNmyWater
  • Like 2

What a timely question as I have been on a quest to watch these so-called "classics" or "must-watch anime".

Some I really enjoyed and can see why people think fondly of them like:

Cowboy Bebop - I'm not really a fan of space operas. But I can see why people like this show. 

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - I only watched the original as I don't see the point of remakes.

Hunter x Hunter - Probably the 2nd best shonen of all time after FMA. The Chimera Ant arc is probably the best shonen arc of all time

Steins; Gate - Is this considered a classic? I'm not sure but I enjoyed it.

Monster - It could have been shorter but I liked it and it's very well made. Definitely for older anime fans

Code Geass - Is this also a classic? I think it was popular back in the day. I enjoyed it. Similar to Death Note

Clannad - I only watched the 1st season. It will really make you cry. Manly tears of course. haha

Death Note - A super popular anime for sure that crossed over to other industries. I liked it a lot

Great Teacher Onizuka - Is this also a classic? It was a unique anime and a very good slice of life. Maybe best slice of life of all time?

1 hour ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Cowboy Bebop

My all-time favorite series. Don't actually consider it a space opera though. Those usually seem to have a grander and more epic scale, whereas the crew of the Bebop are just outcasts living on the fringes trying to figure out how to get rich or at least find their next meal, while dealing with the complications of their pasts

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

another one of my all time favorites. It's actually very different from the original series, making it much more than just a remake.

Hunter x Hunter

I actually burned out on the series fairly early into the Chimera Ant arc, but would like to revisit it someday

Steins; Gate

Not sure if it's considered a classic or not. It's definitely different than your typical anime but I can see it not appealing to everyone. I enjoyed the original for it's quirky cast of characters but considered it's follow up (0) to be too heavy/depressing, even though the original had it's dark side as well. Haven't seen the movie yet, but just signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime  and it's on my list to watch before it runs out.

Monster

Again, stands out as being different than most anime. Hope to have the opportunity to finish it someday.

Code Geass

Personally I consider this one to be overrated. Would kinda like to check out the follow up movies, but not sure if I would want to rewatch the original series to refresh my memory.

Clannad

Meh. Not really sure if I finished this one or not, so obviously it didn't make much of an impression on me. Just not my thing.

Death Note

Another unique series I enjoyed and feel that it definitely deserves to be considered a classic. Not impressed by the various live action remakes/spin offs though and doubt I would ever rewatch.

Great Teacher Onizuka

Haven't seen it and not real high on my list of prospects. Sincerely doubt it could ever dethrone Azumanga Daioh as my own personal GOAT SoL series

Edited by Ohiotaku

Serial Experiments Lain  I can't get threw it. I get weirded out everytime I try. 

Gintama It's sooooo long

Speed Racer I'm seriously considering watching it when I have the time.