Favorite non-anime TV series

drill

• 5 weeks later...

I really like these television series a lot.

Veronica Mars (Anything with Kristen Bell I will watch, in a heartbeat)

Vikings (Got to represent that Nordic heritage after all)

Criminal Minds (Interesting storylines and quite dark an atmosphere, with superb acting)

CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) More along the lines of CSI NY and Miami. Great stuff!

Sea Patrol (An Australian made series about time spent and cases solved, in the navy)

and that's about it really from me.

• 5 weeks later...

Non anime television? Letzee...

(in no particular order)

• The Grand Tour (Auto)

Basically an idiotic car show hosted by the folks that were previously responsible for making Top Gear one of my favorite television shows of all time. Sadly, since they've departed, Top Gear has gone down the drain in my opinion, but this one has stepped in to fill the void. It isn't quite the same (sadly, there have not yet been any

), but it has had a fair bit of utterly hilarious silliness all the same.

• Doctor Who (Scifi)

I don't think I really need to talk much about this one.

• Law and Order (Crime drama)

The original, in all of its classic glory. Watching it from the start can be fairly interesting, as they did a fairly good job of keeping current with technology and social issues as time went by.

• Columbo (Detective)

Follows a highly intelligent police homicide detective who intentionally gives the appearance of being a bumbling fool as he goes through various cases. The interactions between the murderers and the detective tend to be extremely amusing, particularly as they come to the slow (usually - some are a bit more savvy than others) realization that the guy isn't as stupid as he seems.

• Agatha Christie's Poirot (Detective)

Directly inspired by Sherlock Holmes, the Poirot series of books were published between 1920 and 1975, and take place at between 1916 and 1949. The show does an absolutely wonderful job of adapting the stories, complete with a cast of actors that are all magnificent. The stories themselves have a fair deal of variety to them, and a surprising amount of humor to be found.

• The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Detective)

No, not the modern BBC version with that one actor that people seem to love falling head over heels for - I'm talking the older series that ran from 1984 to 1994, starring the One True Holmes, Jeremy Brett. Having seen a little bit of Sherlock, I can say without any hesitation that it simply does not measure up to its older cousin. This older series has better acting, better writing, and frankly in my opinion superior characters - which may seem odd given that both of these shows share the same source material, however the modern characterization of Sherlock is... a... bit of a stretch.

• The Twilight Zone

I refuse to believe that any explanation is necessary.

... and yes, most of my favorites are old detective shows. I blame my wife, since she's the one that originally introduced me to the genre a couple years ago. Honorable television show mentions go to Monk, Mystery Science Theater 3,000, and Kitchen Nightmares (primarily the UK version).

• Like 2

If I was forced at gun point to pick a single favourite it'd be Always Sunny in Philly since I've watched every season except for 11 at least 10 times (which is not an exaggeration, I really have). Other than that though:

Top Gear UK, even the really bad early seasons

Grand Tour

Sneaky Pete

Get Down

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Planet Earth - I'm not much fan of nature, but after watching Planet Earth. The show gave me a greater appreciation for mother nature and the wonders she holds. A wonderful done masterpiece if I do said so myself.

C-SPAN - My most trusted source for news and I enjoying listening to viewers who call in and give their opinions on a topic.

Investigation Discovery - So many crime shows to watch.

WWE

• 1 month later...

I'm currently watching the last season of Black Sails and yeaaaaah, it's amazing, can't wait to watch Pirates of the Caribbean 5 <3

My favorite character from Black Sails would be Vayne, his personality is indeed the one of a true pirate and captain, ayy!

giphy.gif.37be80cfd065ecb03e4f56529b58893f.gif

Edited by Guest

• 4 years later...

This topic looks like it could use some love so here's my vote: Babylon 5.  (Closely behind is James Burke's non-fictional "Connections".)  Nothing beats Sheridan and Ivanova, two of my favorite SF characters.

Speaking of B5, I recently heard a rumor regarding casting for the upcoming B5 reboot...

Zathras.jpg.4f0b03284dc44eed6743daa2a1f75097.jpg

;)

SpongeBob, Family Guy, South Park, Rugrats, Monsters At Work, The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius, Hey Arnold, Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Sonic Underground, Sonic Boom, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and the Simpsons.

I'm gonna cheat and also put in my favorite non-anime movies as well. Toy Story 1 - 4, The Incredibles 1 and 2, Cars 1 - 3, Monsters Inc. and University, Fast and Furious Saga, Sam Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy, Spider-Man Homecoming and Far From Home, The SpongeBob Movie, Sponge Out of Water and Sponge On the Run, Rugrats Movie, In Paris and Go Wild, Jimmy Neutron, Hey Arnold The Movie, Wreck It Ralph and Ralph Breaks the Internet, Shrek 1 - 4, Sonic The Hedgehog movie (Who's hyped for 2?) and a couple of Adam Sandler films (Billy Madison, Big Daddy, Pixels and Mr. Deeds)

• 4 weeks later...

Rick & Morty, Castlevania (I believe this was actually American if I'm not mistaken), Black Sails, Vikings, True Blood, Law & Order SVU, 13 Reasons Why, Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold, Rocket Power, Courage The Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd & Eddy

I'm sure I have a ton more but this is just some

• Like 1

so i've recently got back into the show "F.r.i.e.n.d.s" and it has been a joy to watch, highly recommend if you haven't watched it yet. (i'm sure you've heard of it) 

• 4 months later...

Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Doctor Who, The X Files, Twin Peaks, The Twilight Zone, House M.D., Mystery Science Theater 3000, The Fugitive, M*A*S*H, the Prisoner (67), Farscape, Legion, What's Happening!!, Kenan & Kel, Wallander, Adam-12, Dragnet, Better Call Saul.

The original Star Trek series would rank pretty high. 
I enjoyed Dr. Who through much of it’s run (original & the update). Though I must confess I was burnt out on it by the end of Cappaldi’s run & still don’t have the desire to get back into it. Also remember watching a horror anthology series called Tales From the Darkside weekly.

I enjoyed the Mystery anthology series on PBS back in the day as well as the Wonder Works specials. Some Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances & Red Green.

I enjoyed a lot of the old sitcoms with their ridiculous concepts (Munsters, Gilligan’s Island, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie). The original Muppet Show & The Simpsons, though that’s another burn out & have no interest in newer eps. A bit of local flavor in WKRP in Cincinnati

Honestly haven’t watched much non-anime tv in recent years 😅 Most recent was probably the 1st season of Daredevil.

Edited by Ohayotaku

• 5 weeks later...

Brooklyn 99 I can watch it on rerun almost anytime and it just puts me in a good vibe. Binged it while I was working a very comfy job during the beginning of the pandemic where I was just doing security at a construction site and it made go by so fast. 

Other shows I love: South Park, Bob's Burgers, Walking Dead, Castlevania etc

Favorite non-anime shows? That would be easy for me since I actually dislike a lot of the more recently made shows and movies.

( in no particular order )

* Dan Vs.

* The Goode Family

* Detentionaire

* Simpsons ( including the newer ones )

* Beavis & Butthead

* Super Sentai Zyuranger ( aka "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" internationally, with some differences )

* The Real Ghostbusters

* King of the Hill

* Mr. Bean

* Black Books

* The A-Team ( original 80s version )

* Land of the Lost ( 90s version )

* Twilight Zone ( classic & 80s versions)

* The Outer Limits ( the classic and new )

* Dennis the Menace

* Bewitched

* I Dream of Jeannie

* 3rd Rock From the Sun

* Tales From the Darkside ( later rebranded as "Monsters!" )

* Heels

* Tom & Jerry

* Daria

* Futurama

* God, The Devil, and Bob

* V ( 80s version )

* All of the Star Treks up to "Enterprise"

* Big Bang Theory

* Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

* The Tick

* Jem and the Holograms ( a collab with a Japanese studio I do believe )

* Super Dave

* Video Power

* Inspector Gadget

* 90s X-Men

* 90s Spiderman ( animated series )

* Jim Henson's Dinosaurs ( very Simpsonesque )

* The Addams Family

* Stargate SG-1 ( before the big writers strike leading to the show's eventual cancellation )

I'm sure there are a few others I'm forgetting...almost everything else is in the form of some educational documentary nowadays. I'm very selective. And yeah, quite a few of these shows are old. Growing up, I've always thought of myself as a Generation Xer trapped inside the body of a Millenial. The things my generation liked were not the things that interested me. This is one of the reasons which led to me watching a disproportionate amount of anime compared to everything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Either Chuck or good old Star Trek DS9. However, having recently watched L.O.L. Arcane on Netflix they may have a new rival.

• Like 1