New slang that annoys you

Seshi

I dislike most forms of slang words. I do not the point of making  a gesture that without no explanation is meant to be funny, or an insult that is not even understandable. All the words you have all stated above, hearing them does not please my ears at all. Why even make a sentence ugly on purpose when there are so many ways to make what’s you are telling so much more interesting? 

The word that’s used wrong the most, I despise anyone who’d use it in their sanity. I hear often “That’s gay!”. You have a serious misunderstanding of language if you cannot make out what your words are expressing. Heck, can you imagine how idiotic these sound? “S@&$’s lit”. Huh? Why are faeces on fire? What’s the relation between something interesting you want to call attention on, and what you are actually expressing? 

Possivly, another one that I feel adds absolutely nothing to a conversation is “oof”. It is used in absolutely any context, making if practically impossible to attribute a sense.

Thus, I generally do not even consider slang words ‘legitimate’, purely for their uselessness.

I hate "on fleak", also "snatched". People sound so idiotic nowadays saying this like, "Wow, her outfit is so snatched", what is that supposed to mean!? My little sister talks like that and it really gets under my skin, lol. There is a lot more slang I hate as well but the list would be far too extensive to write down, lol, why can't we all just speak our native languages, are they not perfectly fine as is? 

• Like 1

People are quite split on slang. I personally think it's just something people have to live with. Especially younger people will always invent new words (or use them differently), and we'll have to accept it. Some of them do annoy me a bit, and I would never use them myself, but as long as I don't have to hear them 24/7 I can ignore it.

@Keiko  That's such a strong opinion on slang 😂

you MIGHT find this interesting (probably not though 😂) but it is way over the top here (which is why I put it in a spoiler)

Spoiler

So, one of my professors was huge fan of this philosopher of language called Wittgenstein (Philosophy of language is a deep rabbit hole). Wittgenstein was quite a strange guy who spent a lot of his life trying to show that language either has sense or makes sense, and how we attribute sense to words. At some point he realized that many things just don't really 😂Here's a video clip of a movie (a very strange movie btw) describing that moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIhl9rVg6mM

Bottom line is, language is immensely complex. There's a lot more to it than just exchange of information coded in words. Sometimes it's not even important what you say only that you say something or in what way you say it.

Edited by Illusion of Terra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 1:03 AM, Nono said:

Is there a new meaning for this word that I'm not aware of?

Well @Nono I’ve heard it refer to doing really well, like “I’m crushing it”, but otherwise no idea

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I heard another one. 'stan' used as a verb. I'm not a big fan of the name as it is, but used as a verb sounds dumb

Please explain how that was used.. 

1 hour ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@Seshi Something like "I stan that person (celebrity)". It's not a new one, which is why I thought people would know it. Stan as in stalker-fan.

I’ve heard the word before but couldn’t recall what it meant.

Thanks. That IS awful 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/13/2019 at 2:27 PM, Illusion of Terra said:

I heard another one. 'stan' used as a verb. I'm not a big fan of the name as it is, but used as a verb sounds dumb

Ugh! I absolutely hate "stan" also! Just because 1) it reminds me of Eminem  2) the sh*t Stan does isn't something to joke about (even the video made that clear 3) I just like Dido's song better.  Not a big fan of sampling *usually* It has to be done well before I will enjoy it.

I just wanted to share this random crap that floats to the top of my brain. Gotta let it out, or it'll explode XD:

Most probably don't realize that the relatively harmless "She Loves You" was already a source of Beatles' controversy because the public thought saying "yeah yeah yeah" instead of "yes yes yes" was going to make all the kids speak improper English.

Well...I mean, not sure you can blame one song for that, but okay XD

I don't mind slang...I mean...it depends on what it is. Some of it's super annoying, some it I'm just "meh, this, too, shall pass." I use a lot of 60s slang XD