Do you like American comics?

LonelyPoet

Oh hell yes I do I love Marvel and DC equally for different reasons of course. I'd have to say my favorite super hero is Spidy though on the DC side of things Batman hands down. 

• Like 2

I used to back in the 70s & 80s (still have most of them). Primarily the Spiderman & X-men related titles. My exposure to the DC heroes was primarily through tv & movies.

I used to read comics like DC & Marvel back when I was a kid (my dad grew up on them so he encouraged me to read them too). Now? I don't really have much time to read anything, not even manga. I really want to get back into reading though, I enjoyed it so much. 

Somewhat, but I had anime and video games I focused on. Always was a Flash fan (Wally West was my favorite speedster and I am livid they changed him for their new 52. I'd rather they innovate and make new heroes instead of ripping apart the classics.). I even have a Flash vs Gorilla Grodd statue at home.  Might post a picture sometime actually. 

Enjoyed Spiderman when I was younger but he has been remade too many times now and never really got the whole Xmen fandom thing. I love the Marvel universe in the movies but haven't had time to explore the literary side. Did always like the Pim stuff.

As for other DC stuff, always been a catwoman fan (got lots of statues) and my husband is a Batman fan (has lots of statues of Batman and his two favorite villains, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy), I liked Solomon Grundy's story in the Batman universe, was definitely into the Justice League for a bit...that's about it really. 

• Like 2

Boy I feel like I am one of the only ones here who dose still keep up with the comics. I mean for me anime, and manga as well as video games will always be first though good ol american super heroes are good sometimes too. 

• Like 1

I like them. I used to read them a bunch when I was younger, then I just kinda drifted away from it. The Punisher was one of my favorites.

Not super hero related, but Archie is f'n fantastic. I still try to power read through them when I'm in the checkout aisles. Oh, and Calvin and Hobbes is the bees knees, too!

5 hours ago, Nono said:

I like them. I used to read them a bunch when I was younger, then I just kinda drifted away from it. The Punisher was one of my favorites.

Not super hero related, but Archie is f'n fantastic. I still try to power read through them when I'm in the checkout aisles. Oh, and Calvin and Hobbes is the bees knees, too!

Not a play on my user name, or anything Archie in that case actually is short for ArchAngel.

But yes on topic I do agree the Archie comics in particular the sonic ones were very good for a very long time. It is a shame they sort of fell through a while ago both in terms of plot as well as publisher issues.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 10:05 AM, ArchieKun said:

I'd have to say my favorite super hero is Spidy though on the DC side of things Batman hands down.  

7 hours ago, Nono said:

Calvin and Hobbes is the bees knees, too! 

100% agreement on all this 👍

As far as non-superhero comics, I used to really be into the Elfquest series back in the day. The Bone series and it's limited series side story Rose was pretty good too.

• Like 2

You never typed anything under the thing you quoted me on lol. No biggy just wondering. @Ohiotaku

For me Elfquest was hit, and miss just don't know to much about the fandom only read a portion of the comics.

@ArchieKunWhen I said "all of this" I meant the quotes from you & Nono (sorry for the confusion)

As far as Elfquest, I didn't follow the later storylines, just through Siege at Blue Mountain. And then read some of the Blood of 10 Chiefs novels which were anthology novels that explored the mythos.

Edited by Ohiotaku

2 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

@ArchieKunWhen I said "all of this" I meant the quotes from you & Nono (sorry for the confusion)

As far as Elfquest, I didn't follow the later storylines, just Journey to Sorrows End & Siege at Blue Mountain. And then read some of the Blood of 10 Chiefs novels which were anthology novels that explored the mythos.

No worries I thought it was rather funny personally. :) thanks for the clarification though never a bad thing.

The comics I have followed most on the Marvel side of things would be mostly Spiderman, and X-Men. I have read Guardians of the Galaxy more recently though.

Not really. It's not that they don't have story, but with most of them, it seems more like a bunch of disconnected 'arks'. The extreme American nationalism in them (they almost always centre around the US) is also an turn off.

I haven't read many comics though

4 hours ago, Anivo said:

Not really. It's not that they don't have story, but with most of them, it seems more like a bunch of disconnected 'arks'. The extreme American nationalism in them (they almost always centre around the US) is also an turn off.

I haven't read many comics though

The extreme Japanese nationalism that I see in anime can be quite a turn off as well (Summer Wars really irritated me on that actually). However, you have to consider where the comics or anime or writings are coming from. If it is coming in from Japan then I suppose that it would be normal for them to consider themselves the best of the entire world. If it's coming from America, then I imagine they consider themselves to be the best as well. When I watch Doctor Who, it seems to center around British cultural superiority and that makes sense there too. 

I can verify however that not all of them are entirely based in America for our comics. Most of the popular ones are for sure.