Flying Witch -Watch & Discuss

Seshi

So what’s everyone’s initial thoughts on viewing the first episode?

Although a bit slow to me, I think it shows promise, considering the small lore & magical items introduced, it seems quite well made. Can’t wait to get into character development 😃

Thought I recognized the band for the theme; turns out it is the same as for Silver Spoon.

So far (episode 1) I enjoyed it, quite soothing and upbeat!

I recognized the plant thing, because it came up in one of the anthropology classes I had. So the idea with pulling it out actually was a thing in Europe
"In the past, mandrake was often made into amulets which were believed to bring good fortune, cure sterility, etc. In one superstition, people who pull up this root will be condemned to hell, and the mandrake root would scream as it was pulled from the ground, killing anyone who heard it" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake

I was wondering what those people must be working that they can afford such a huge house though 😂

• Informative 2

I watched the whole series a year ago and last month as well so no I will not spoil it but I thought it was  a rather good heartfelt series with a lot of interesting and cute characters as well the story itself pretty good. ( all my opinions ) So I hope anyone who starts watching Flying Witch enjoys it. Soon I'm going start watching it again since It's one of my favorite anime's of all time and I never get board of it. It's an anime that makes me feel really happy and I like when anime's or anything really makes me feel that way~ 

• Optimistic 1

I watched the first three episodes.  All I had time for this weekend. As for the first episode, I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack is nice and it brought me back to Non Non Biyori (another SoL) with it's rural setting. I watched a bit in the English dub, then switched to Japanese but I actually liked the dub better. So far so good. :)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I already the whole series, well, I cann't say it's epic, but you should watch it, its entertaining, educational, a bit comedic and quite nice as an anime

I can say that I suggest you to watch it

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Beocat said:

I watched the first three episodes.  All I had time for this weekend. As for the first episode, I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack is nice and it brought me back to Non Non Biyori (another SoL) with it's rural setting. I watched a bit in the English dub, then switched to Japanese but I actually liked the dub better. So far so good. :)

Thanks for the input, I think I’d like the dub better too, but I’m watching on Crunchyroll so their dubs are few and far between.

I like the series so far, I’m enjoying Makotos character a lot already. It’s refreshing to see her be honest with herself, even in her faults.

Ep2 thoughts

The ending song is quite nice. Also the Harbringer of Spring was a cool detail that they added to the show. I like that he asked the area witch for medicine. I wonder if this will be an ongoing occurrence for her to  be sought out for things of this nature.

Bakke tempura was a treat. Chinatsu is hilarious! “It’s that time of year again” reminds me of my hubby not liking cold weather because all I make is soup.

Ep 3

Makotos sister is cool, What did you think about the crow spell? Was it really because she used a witches hair? Or is Makotos power just that much stronger? I wonder.

Edited by Seshi
Fixed formatting

@Seshi  I think you copied and pasted from a word file you were writing in...makes reading it really hard.  I'll put mine in spoiler tags per episode me'thinks and respond. 

Episode One

Spoiler

So, this episode is the set up episode.  I don't actually know anything about Japanese Witch Mythology or Superstitions, but it started out similarly to a widely loved classic, Kiki's Delivery Service. Especially the whole moving out to train and become full fledged part. I might google the mythology behind it. 

Episode Two

Spoiler

I was distracted by cute kittens playing in the window so I didn't actually catch this whole episode.  Anyways, I have a feeling the Harbringer will be a recurring character. If you watch the opening/ending sequences, it hints that he might be. On top of that, him asking if the little girl (whose name escapes me) is also a witch made me wonder if perhaps she is. I mean, her cousin is a witch and her aunt & uncle are a witch & warlock pair so perhaps it was just that her mom had not developed correctly to access her abilities, or didn't train enough to keep them (a hint at the lack of active use of magic causes the person to not be able to use it eventually). It's a thought anyhow. 

And the butterburs! I looked them up afterwards! Apparently they are good at preventing migraines in high enough doses. Couldn't find anything right offhand about the flavor.

Episode Three

Spoiler

So, they use the little girl's hair to practice a summoning spell. You'd think this means that she wasn't a witch, but it could just be that her abilities don't develop until her teen years. We don't know. I'm still running with this theory regardless. I considered your theory as well @Seshi. Could be...we won't know unless she casts it again with another's hair.

I'd also like to say, at first the father's accent in the dub bothered me. I had the initial impression that some producer thought it was funny. However, I flipped to the Japanese version and realized he really does have a very thick, heavy rural Japanese accent and that was probably the closest equivalent they could think of (I can think of better thicker accents but...eh). So, I'm no longer bothered by it but instead very thankful I had the bluray. Still, he was clearly understandable in English. 

• Agree 1

I have got to watch this in English now to see the accent! 🤣 I’ll bet it’s so disturbing to see how people think of southerners...

Ill work on fixing that hard to read font that came about 😕 Hard to do much on my phone

42 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I have got to watch this in English now to see the accent! 🤣 I’ll bet it’s so disturbing to see how people think of southerners...

Ill work on fixing that hard to read font that came about 😕 Hard to do much on my phone

No worries on the font. Any spoilers in there people have to be reading hard to get too ;)

And best I can describe it, he sounded very close to Popcorn Sutton, moonshiner legend. Popcorn video .  Considering the respect I have for the shiners and Popcorn, I was understandably a bit offput at first. It's an Appalachian accent. Still, it's a good comparison I would suppose to a thick Japanese rural accent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 8:22 PM, Beocat said:

I agree, I rather liked the dub version a lot better~ (y)

---------------------------------------------

When I first heard and watched Flying Witch it was in Japanese since I could not find any dub at the time, at least for me. So I watched the Japanese version even though sometimes I prefer dub over sub, however I still rather enjoyed the anime and became of fan of it. Later on I found out that the dub version was out so I re-watched it again later on in English. I have to say I really loved the dub version a lot more to be honest. For me some anime's I think do better dub than sub. ( my opinion)  This is my 4th time re-watching Flying Witch and I never get bored of it or ever will to be honest, so if that's weird oh well I like that I like. It's just so heartfelt, pure and kawaii desu~:yum: I very much recommend this anime to anyone who wants a great story with lovely memorable characters that will capture your hearts. ( At least that's how I feel about the charterers.. :? ) It always leaves me content and happy after watching it or an episode~

I heard that there done with the anime and are not going make another season, however I'm not 100% sure if it's true maybe who knows. I need to do more research on it to find out or if anyone here knows be kindly appreciated if you let me know. I do know if there's only one season of Flying Witch I was rather fond  of it long as it lasted and a now fan even if it was only 12 episodes long. I do want to read the manga for it but I'm not sure when that will  be since I'm tight on money. ( You really got to love adulting.. :meh: )

Spoiler

Does anyone have a favorite character from the anime if you have seen it? I would have to say mine are : Makoto Kowata, Inukai and Akane Kowata are my top three. I really can't just pick one of them since I really love them all but those three stand out more that I like. 

I was wondering what happened to this thread. Are you still doing the watch 5 episodes a week? I didn't have the time up until now, but caught up to episode 5. I enjoyed it so far, really mellow as a whole, story music and art style. And on top of it, it has a lot to do with cats, that's an automatic plus!