Fireballs

Beocat

Well, tonight I reported my first fireball.  Actually it's my second fireball....my first I didn't think about reporting and it literally lit up the sky right in front of my husband and me a few years back.  First one I reported anyways to the American Meteor Society. I saw it this morning and looking at the most recent compiled reports (which mine will be added to),  I'm convinced that over 150 other people saw it too. 

I know fireballs are supposed to be once in a lifetime events for people so I feel real lucky I saw this one. Makes me happy I went outside to freeze my pain away this morning. Otherwise I would have missed it completely. 

Anyone else ever spot a fireball in the sky?

• Like 1

It happened too fast for a picture and at the time I was sitting in my car thinking about whether I should spend a hundred bucks at the urgent care to get a ketorolac and zofran injection or if I should just try to freeze myself out of my pain and nausea.  I'll admit, it was a jaw dropping moment.  Ended up choosing to just freeze myself so I could stare at the sky a big longer....lol....priorities, right?

Most videos you see of them are from police dashboard cams, home security systems, and people who were recording other things at just the right time.

Fireballs are bright enough and low enough you can see them in bright cities too.  For instance, this one just happened last night and it is so bright it lights everything up. You'd have seen this in an inner city if you had an unobstructed view.  The surrounding lights might drown it out a bit but most fireballs won't be washed out by them. Some you can see during the day even.

From under a porch

• Like 1

Holy moley, that is one bright flash. I can definitely say I haven't seen that.

This is not on topic, but I don't understand the part with freezing yourself out of pain. By freeze you probably mean the freezing behavior, not getting colder?, but how exactly is that related to pain? Also, aren't those drugs covered by health insurance in the US?

Edited by Illusion of Terra

Well, the application of cold will reduce swelling and that will reduce pain (or flat out numb your nerves). I managed to get myself so cold between the freezing temps and keeping the ac on in my car on top of that to be a block of ice, even after I went to work later.  The room I work in, usually cold to me, felt like someone had a furnace in there that day. Numbing by freezing has worked for me many times in the past too.

And, healthcare in the US is complicated. If you have insurance, you still have deductibles to meet, copays for the visit, and may have to pay a portion of the cost of any treatments or procedures as well. The only ones coming out ahead in any of this is the insurance companies, but that is what happens when politicians are in the pockets of big companies like that with excessive lobbying power. The insurance companies getting their way screwed up medicare too and is the entire reason why it has a donut hole. Anyone who thinks an insurance company isn't crooked is a fool. Happy to take your monthly premiums when you don't need it and always looking to avoid paying out when you do need it.

• Like 1

Ah I see, so it is actually freezing yourself. When I heard it I thought like putting yourself in a freezer and thought that this couldn't be it (well the AC is kinda that way) 😂 ('freezing' is also used in behavioral science to describe standing still, just fyi). It sucks that you don't get those for free though. I always heard about problematic cases with healthcare in the US but didn't realize it actually comes down to such a concrete level.

Back to topic though, a relative of mine says he has seen one years ago but wasn't able capture it on a device. I don't think I'll see one with the time I spend looking at screens though. You're quite lucky having seen two of them!

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1