Introduction to Japan

ssjup81

Out of curiosity I went ahead and looked up Perfume and Baby Metal and their pretty good. I like how you hear the band for Baby

Metal play on the guitar and drums then you hear the women sing and it just throws you off, it's not what I expected to hear haha. I still like it though but probably Perfume more. I've listened to Kanon Wakeshima (who sings two of the closing themes of Vampire Knight) and Yoko Kanno (who sings the opening and closing themes for Ghost in the Shell). Usually any of the bands I check out are because of an anime I've seen, so that's why I know about Kanon and Yoko. Thanks for pointing out those bands too by the way :)

Yoko Kanno is a very talented music composer. The Russian singer Origa did the opening for Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.

I really enjoyed Origa's music and collected it. Unfortunately, she passed away last January. She was still living in Japan and was young. Only in her 40s.

• Like 2

Yoko Kanno is a very talented music composer. The Russian singer Origa did the opening for Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.

I really enjoyed Origa's music and collected it. Unfortunately, she passed away last January. She was still living in Japan and was young. Only in her 40s.

Oh, haha thanks for correcting me on that so I didn't go around telling other people. :)

Oh, haha thanks for correcting me on that so I didn't go around telling other people. :)
No problem, and here are some more recommendations of those Yoko has worked with that I personally favor...

The Seatbelts

Sakamoto Maaya

Akino Arai

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a NES for as long as I can remember (pretty sure my brother plopped the controller in front of me so he had someone to play SMB with, lol). That was my first Japanese thing, though I don't think I knew it at the time.

Eventually I encountered Sailor Moon. Liked it but could never wake up early enough to watch it. At some point I started watching Cheez TV before school which had Digimon, Pokemon and Cardcaptor Sakura, all of which I enjoyed.

My primary school also taught us Japanese though I don't remember anything from it except for the 'Big Bird Song' which my teacher would force us to sing at the beginning of each class for 4 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4al06d9TqX8

We got to watch the Pokemon movie during class at some point though so that was cool.

Since I've just found myself watching more Anime and playing heaps of games that originated from there.

So yeah...

• 5 months later...

I think for me, it was actually my older brother that made me intrigued about it all.. Like a lot of younger siblings, I tended to follow him around and try really hard to like what he liked. (Though, when confronted about being a copy-cat, you just say "nuh uh! I've liked it for forever!" xD) Anyways~ He was about 15-16 at the time, and was making his own comics and stories... And also watching a lot of different shows that I would try to watch with him. He was also really into Pokemon, especially the card game, which he tried to teach me and get me into, but I just never had much interest in it. He was actually the first person to buy me anything anime related. He got me my first Cardcaptor Sakura cards * 3 * And they were so pretty and my prized possessions. ^_^

After that, I pretty much self indulged until I joined my anime club at my school. I went to an all girls private school, so really no perverts at mine, I guess... Except maybe me xD... Anyways, I started going to the anime sleepovers, where we would discuss manga, anime, games, etc. It was really nice because for a while I didn't really know anyone who liked Japanese culture. My parents thought it was strange, and my friends were more into sports, dudes and makeup. Lol... But I remember going to my first sleepover and we watched 'I my me! Strawberry eggs' all night ^_^

It was around that time that my little cousin, Rachel, got heavily involved in Japanese culture.. even more so than me. She is always telling me stories or teaching me things. She studied abroad in Japan and Germany... and she got offered a teaching position in Japan. But I think she turned it down for some reason.. Whatever the case, we spent a lot of time locked in her room watching a show or seeing who could finish a manga first. Good memories.

So, I guess it was always anime and my older brother and cousin ^_^