Megalo Box

King_Sama

Megan Box is an old anime remastered to fit the modern age we love so much. Original named "Ashita no Joe" in the early 80"s, TMS Entertainment decided to give the anime some love for its 50th anniversary and they did not disappoint. It took all of one episode to get me hooked into this anime and I'm sad that it only has thirteen episodes, because this manga had everything you want in an anime. The story is amazing, illustration is masterful, and the music, my god the music pulls you in every time until you realize you can't wait for the next scene to come up. 

The series takes place in the near future where Japan is separated into two categories, the licensed and unlicensed. The license live in the city enjoying all the joy that comes from it, while the unlicensed live on the outskirts in the slums wondering where their next meal will come from. Junk Dog, is a fighter in the underground of the outskirts were it has the same rules as boxing except the boxers wear gear on their arms to make their punches more lethal. Junk Dog always wanted to aim for the top only there was nothing pushing him there, until he crashes his motorcycle into a business owners car. At which point her bodyguard and also top ranked Megalo boxer in Japan, Yuri, steps in. The owner quickly breaks up the conflict, but Junk Dog left so much of an impression on Yuri that he seeks Junk Dog out and teaches him what it really means to be a Megalo Boxer. Junk Dog loses horribly and understands he has a lot more to learn, especially if he wants to face Yuri in the Megalonia Tournament. To face Yuri, Junk Dog changes his name, gets a fake license, and enters the tournament at the lowest rank. Japan isn't ready for Joe.

If you interested in this anime you will not be disappointed, TRUST!!!

megalo.thumb.png.b91f4d46dfa471b8ddec31474c4ed602.png

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Definitely one of the better series of 2018. Though my understanding is it’s actually more of a tribute to Ashita no Joe than a direct reboot/reimagining.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly enjoyed the crap outta this for a good while. I haven't gotten around to watching the last two episodes, but I want to see how it ends. I was surprised to learn that this was actually inspired by Ashita no Joe. Truly a classic, and Megalo Box lived up to the spirit in spades.