Thoughts On The Latest Episode of Fruits Basket?

EnviousEnvy

Episode 19 - I’m a horrible person for laughing at Shigure’s editor, he’s gonna give that poor woman a nervous breakdown one day (if he hasn’t already). Favorite line :  “Sensei is an obnoxi-pus” 🤣  Can’t say I really liked Ritsu as the hysterics were a bit overblown for my tastes. But once again Tohru’s empathy allows her to say the right things to help him with his issues. Seems like they were trying to ship him with editor-chan too.

As far as last week’s episode with Kisa

I don’t actually think her mother was being a bad/neglectful parent, although that might be the initial impression since we first see her seemingly blaming Kisa. But her haggard expression suggested to me that she was probably exhausted and frustrated. It’s a painful thing to see someone you love hurting, and if you’re in the role of a caregiver it’s easy to see it as a failure on your part. The first reaction is usually to try and “fix things” as fast as possible. But as Tohru pointed out, sometimes there are things the individual needs to work out within their own mind before they can accept help from someone else. Trying to rush things only makes things worse (even Tohru gets bit a couple times). The tears Kisa’s mom cries upon hearing this probably are not only the result of regret for misreading the situation, but it probably stung  that a stranger was able to understand her daughter better and could help her more at that stage than she could. Of course we’ve already seen that Tohru has a real gift for feeling empathy with others, and being closer in age to Kisa probably helped her understand her mindset better.   I’m reasonably confident that Kisa’s mom understands now that the important thing is to be supportive and available to talk or help but not try to push a solution. I feel less confident about how things will work out at school, as there’s no indication that the teacher or classmates have had a change of heart. Fortunately Kisa seems to have made up her mind to not give up and to try to overcome things if for no other reason than because not doing so could turn her into a person she doesn’t want to be.

• Friendly 1

Shigure and his editor really make my day. Also the fact that one of the Zodiacs (more specifically, my Zodiac) likes to dress like a girl. I honestly thought it was hilarious when Tohru kept calling him, a she then discovers the truth, lmao.

• 2 weeks later...

My heart literally sank when Hiro took Tohru's notepad with the picture of her mom in it. I was for sure waiting for something to happen to it whether it would get dropped in a mud puddle, in the trash or just plain lost never to return. 

Anyway, I'm starting to believe more and more than Tohru can change anyone's heart around once she gets to know them. I don't think anyone can run away from her heartwarming and nurturing soul. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The episode that focused on Saki. She didn't seem like one to be bullied but alas some characters surprise me. She seemed like a character that was always calm and collected. 

Anyway, wonder when this season is supposed to end? At least I think there will be a 2nd season (since the opening says "Season 1").

1 hour ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Anyway, wonder when this season is supposed to end? At least I think there will be a 2nd season (since the opening says "Season 1").

25 episodes, so three more. This week’s episode introduces  Kazuma

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-09-03/fruits-basket-anime-casts-toshiyuki-morikawa/.150685

And as the article notes the series covers the entire manga, so there will be a season 2. No idea how long we’ll have to wait though. Assuming it will start sometime next year.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

If Kazuma is in the picture then I'm hoping it will at least cover the events of volume six before the season is concluded. 

I’ve been trying to avoid spoilers but I see Kazuma is Kyo’s martial arts teacher (Master). So hopefully we’ll learn a bit more about the secrets he’s been keeping. From the previous anime adaption

I remember he has a cursed form but not the details. And pretty sure you said it didn’t address how he’s connected to Tohru’s mom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wedgy said:

If Kazuma is in the picture then I'm hoping it will at least cover the events of volume six before the season is concluded. 

They probably will, I think the season has been doing a great job so far. 

• Like 1

IT'S FRIDAY! EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THAT MEANS! NEW EPISODE!! *faints*

Anyway, this episode has me really hyped up for the next one. Kyo's Master?! Oh boy. And the fact that Kagura showed back up which made Kyo's stomach pretty much drop, lol. The door being slammed in her face to be "never opened again" and she breaks a hole through it was the best part. 

With all that went on so far made this episode go by so fast to me. It left me with wanting more, lol.

• Like 1

I’m glad that it seems like the season will end on dealing with some of Kyo’s issues, as he’s my favorite of the male characters (even more so than Shigure). This week seemed like it was primarily setting the stage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I may not know much about where the story goes from this point, but this was undoubtedly a pivotal moment as Tohru sees Kyo at his most vulnerable and gains some insight into why he acts the way he does.

we do not love somebody by being blind to their flaws, but we choose to love in spite of them

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Today’s the final episode of season 1 and will introduce Isuzu (the horse of the zodiac). There’s also supposed to be an announcement afterwards (hopefully when we can expect season 2)

• Like 1

So season 2 will be sometime during 2020. That’s a pretty broad window, but still good to know. And as long as they maintain the quality, it’s worth the wait.

As to the episode itself: very appropriate with the various members  of the Soma clan trying to come to terms with their evolving relationships to each other. And it f course Tohru is the catalyst for most of that change. Though it seems certain some of it will be painful. Being unfamiliar with the manga, it’ll all be new to  me.

They also tease the appearance of new characters who seem like will be important

the two students who pass Yuki in the hallway and I assume the girl Hiro visits in the hospital is the horse. We also got a glimpse of Shigure and Akito together, which I can’t help but feel uneasy about

Anyway, pretty sure this will be my #2 for the season (8/10)

spacer.png

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Season 2 confirmed for April 6/7 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-04/new-fruits-basket-anime-season-2-unveils-april-6-debut-creator-message-new-visual/.157131

Sounds like it will be on Funimation, probably Hulu. Not sure about CR.

Edited by Ohiotaku

Apparently the first three episodes of season 2 will debut in theaters like they did for season 1. Not close enough to me though, so will wait for the streaming premiere the following week.

For anyone interested 

https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/fruits-basket/

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

On 3/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, Ohiotaku said:

Apparently the first three episodes of season 2 will debut in theaters like they did for season 1. Not close enough to me though, so will wait for the streaming premiere the following week.

For anyone interested 

https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/fruits-basket/

I won't be able to see it either but I'm excited nonetheless!

I cannot wait til it's out on FUNimation… the wait is killing me.

Plus with this quarantine going into effect tomorrow I'll need something to keep me occupied.

• 2 weeks later...

God, I’ve missed this show 😂

A largely Yuki centric episode this week though Kyo & Shigure have their moments. Though it’s hard to find Shigure’s antics quite as light hearted after getting a glimpse of where his loyalties lie. Looks like Yuki will have his hands full with his new subordinates. Despite the. comical aspects of their personalities, seems like they also have some deep rooted psychological issues, but what else is new. Good to see Uo still has her “underlings”. Still can’t feel much empathy for Yuki’s #1 fan, though she grudgingly admits Tohru has had a positive influence on him. Oh, and the new OP/ED are top notch again too.

Where everybody at?! Gonna get real boring real fast if I’m the only one talking 🤣

Loved this week’s episode, especially Shisho not pulling any punches in his talk with Kyo’s “father”

not really deserving of the title since as Shisho pointed out, he’s never once acted like a parent

Got lots of other observations, but would rather hear what some other people think.

I NEARLY forgot about the 2nd season starting already. Dude, I am so STOKED for this season. I might give season 1 a rewatch though!

12 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Where everybody at?! Gonna get real boring real fast if I’m the only one talking 🤣

Loved this week’s episode, especially Shisho not pulling any punches in his talk with Kyo’s “father”

Hide contents

not really deserving of the title since as Shisho pointed out, he’s never once acted like a parent

Got lots of other observations, but would rather hear what some other people think.

I admit I forgot about this season airing already. I just randomly checked on FUNimation to see if it was on and I was like "Oh yeah!"