Thoughts On The Latest Episode of Fruits Basket?

EnviousEnvy

I've been a bit behind on the series lately. So what day exactly airs each new episode? I always seem to be an episode or two late because I keep forgetting it's back on. 😅

40 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

I've been a bit behind on the series lately. So what day exactly airs each new episode? I always seem to be an episode or two late because I keep forgetting it's back on. 😅

Monday afternoons.

S2, episode 3

Oh gawd, this scene 🤣😂🤣

image.thumb.jpeg.6cf4edd8808d2e2eecae062b76770c65.jpeg

[/img]

As over the top as Ayame is , it’s even worse when Shigure is around to egg him on. Kyo may be my favorite Sohma, but Hatori is a close 2nd for being able to keep them even remotely in line :P 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 10:04 AM, Ohiotaku said:

S2, episode 3

Oh gawd, this scene 🤣😂🤣

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

image.thumb.jpeg.6cf4edd8808d2e2eecae062b76770c65.jpeg

[/img]

As over the top as Ayame is , it’s even worse when Shigure is around to egg him on. Kyo may be my favorite Sohma, but Hatori is a close 2nd for being able to keep them even remotely in line :P 

That episode was really funny , and while I think I like Ayame the best out of all of them , 

Just watched episode 5 & oh boy...this could be terrible. Akito, what can I even say? What an evil control freak. Every time her name even comes up it just makes my skin crawl. 

And my dude Hatsuharu steals more of my heart each time I see him. What a well done character! :) 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RuthisianCodex said:

Akito, what can I even say? What an evil control freak. Every time her name even comes up it just makes my skin crawl. 

The second season so far really seems to be emphasizing how she is the root of all the dysfunction in the Sohma clan. Pretty certain it’s building to something really awful. Not sure of her exact motives, but my impression at the monent is that it’s primarily spite (the need to make everyone as miserably unhappy as she is).

As far as Kureno, he better not try to take advantage of Uo. She’s my favorite non-Soma character especially seeing last season how her friendship with Tohru & her mom changed her in a positive way. Maybe I’m being unfair to him since Akito apparently treats him as her boy toy, but he’s still an adult whereas Uo’s still a teenager.

On a lighter note the earnestness of Hatsuharu’s  narrative contrasted with it’s absurdity was hilarious 🤣  And Uo & Hana will make life absolute hell for anyone who tries to date Tohru (a couple “dads” from hell) 😂

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 1

Does anyone know when the next Fruits Baskets episode will air? Just curious because I could of sworn it's been over a week and no new episode yet (or maybe I'm just imagining things).

17 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Does anyone know when the next Fruits Baskets episode will air? Just curious because I could of sworn it's been over a week and no new episode yet (or maybe I'm just imagining things).

Today was episode 5 of season 2. It had Tohru & the boys visiting a haunted house attraction & Uo meeting Kureno. Not sure what site you use but I watch on Crunchyroll (paid membership).

I just checked Funimation & they’re just on episode 3. Weird. Wonder if it’s the dubbed version.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

Today was episode 5 of season 2. It had Tohru & the boys visiting a haunted house attraction & Uo meeting Kureno. Not sure what site you use but I watch on Crunchyroll (paid membership).

I just checked Funimation & they’re just on episode 3. Weird. Wonder if it’s the dubbed version.

Yeah I have a paid FUNimation account so I wonder why it isn't up. FUNimation is usually on the ball with this so I'm confused. I'm guessing if it's because of the Coronavirus...

• Like 1

I ended up getting the premium version of Crunchyroll since it appears that FUNimation isn't airing Fruits Baskets for whatever reason and I got tired of waiting. Never had an issue with subtitles I just watched the dub version on FUNimation because my fiance has a paid membership on that one. 

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, poor Kyo has really been getting teased the last two episodes and Tohru going through the haunted house was funny. Momiji is such a sweetheart coming to her rescue, lol. One of the reasons why he's my favorite character (Shigure is my other favorite). 

@EnviousEnvy I think the issue had to do with Funimation’s english dubs being put on hold for the foreseeable future due to covid. There’s been no word of any sort of delay on the Japanese side of things, though it’s also not on the list of series where all the episodes are complete for the season. 

Momiji is definitely wise beyond his years. While the other guys argue he comes to Tohru’s rescue. Of course Kyo & Yuki would probably feel too awkward to hold her hand anyway :P 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

@EnviousEnvy I think the issue had to do with Funimation’s english dubs being put on hold for the foreseeable future due to covid. There’s been no word of any sort of delay on the Japanese side of things, though it’s also not on the list of series where all the episodes are complete for the season. 

Momiji is definitely wise beyond his years. While the other guys argue he comes to Tohru’s rescue. Of course Kyo & Yuki would probably feel too awkward to hold her hand anyway :P 

Momiji is really cute , he and tohru tho was stupid enough to believe haru's stupid stories , but thats why its so funny :) 

3 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Guess I was wrong

spacer.png

Though looking & acting younger let’s Momiji bypass the competition 

spacer.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RuthisianCodex said:

I could hardly get through Momiji's episode where we learn about what happened to his mom. 

That was friggin' intense. 

100% agree with you on this made me cry in the original adaption let alone the better telling in this re-adaption. 

As for my thoughts as it whole its certainly got me hooked, and wanting more. They are defiantly on the right track. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RuthisianCodex said:

I could hardly get through Momiji's episode where we learn about what happened to his mom. 

That was friggin' intense. 

That was such a sad episode , I swear i was almost about to cry ....

Maybe i did ?

• Like 1

@Ohiotaku Yeah I keep forgetting about the whole covid thing (I'm a hermit anyway, lol).

I'm definitely glad I got Crunchyroll now though. So now I'm all caught up. 

Momiji is definitely adorable and is very smart even though he acts all cutesy and innocent. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wedgy said:

I was thinking about Kureno's appearance (finally!) and it had me thinking on something that I can't precisely recall about the manga because it's been so many years since I read it. Kureno is basically enabling Akito by allowing her to control him- he even says as much to Arisa (even if she doesn't understand the context) that he isn't allowed anywhere. This is because he is another victim of Akito's abuse. I'm noticing now a lot more about the larger, darker themes of Fruits Basket and the domestic issues it brings to the viewer's attention. Almost every Zodiac has experienced some form of abuse, and Akito's name is written all over it. However, they all accept it that "this is just how things are"; Kyo doesn't even seem to consider the option that he could simply run away, to a different country if he has to, to avoid solitary confinement. And there don't seem to be many other Sohmas willing to stand up and say "that's not right!" There could be an element of their curse that keeps them tethered to the family, but if there was, I don't remember it ever being brought up. 

Any thoughts about this?

YES! The devastating & lasting effects that stem from a life ruled by a dysfunctional family structure paired with domestic abuse is a huge theme in this show I feel. Also, the show highlights the different ways that grief changes people. 

One example is in episode 24 between Kyo & Tohru. He actually states that he's so afraid of losing another person that he's going to do as much damage to them as he can. Basically, if I'm gonna get hurt, I'm taking you down with me. Because of my own life experiences & my experiences in helping out at organizations that help abuse survivors, that whole scene messed me up. Not only do we have someone who has been traumatized by abuse & neglect almost to the point of no return, but also he feels so helpless that the only viable coping mechanism is to lash out at others. Yet underneath all that pain is an overwhelming desire to be loved, accepted, and to feel safe. And he treated her like this from the start because his past experiences had tricked him into believing that he really is unlovable & unwanted. Geez, my eyes are watering just typing about this! 

The worst part about Akito to me is that she knows damn well what's she's doing is wrong but she genuinely enjoys terrorizing others because I think deep down she hates her own frailty. Remember, she's got some kind of health condition or something. Personally, I think she suffers from 'Needs to Get Her A** Kicked' disease but that's just me. Seriously though, she's like the living embodiment of misery loves company & the scene where she takes Kureno in her arms sent a shiver all up my back. They even mention that she hurt Yuki so badly that he stopped talking at one point. Good grief. All I know is that there better be a backstory on her & how she came to be the way she is because I need to know what the root cause of all of this is truly about. I'm also dying to know what is the relationship between Akito & Shigure about at its core? I want to like Shigure & admittedly, I do a little bit. But gosh, there is just something about him that I don't like & don't trust at all. 

So many characters have been directly or indirectly harmed by Akito's actions. So sad. 

Edited by RuthisianCodex

4 hours ago, Wedgy said:

I wanted to expand on this a bit further with a couple more thoughts.

I find a link metaphorically between the Zodiac curse and the abuse. It represents the difficulties they face with trust and love that were broken in some form or another by their upbringing. I don't know if it was intentional or not on the author's end, but I find it uncannily representative. When a victim of abuse is offered love and comfort, they can sometimes become a cornered animal and this can change how others view them, so they push people away. The Sohmas quite literally will push people away. 

tenor.gif.e931855a093f10f6a148081b14975bd7.gif

When you're in the midst of such a situation, you're likewise afraid to part ways with the abuser. Often, the abuser also is a source of dependance for the victim. As explained in a recent episode, the parents of Zodiac children are given a much higher salary from the family for their burden. 

This brings me to my next observation. Tohru exists as a clear picture of cutting the cord. She has no parents, and effectively lives on her own. We saw early on that her home situation wasn't great, either. But, in emancipating herself, she's happy at the end of the day, even if it's not easy for her. One could make the argument she depends on Shigure and the boys, but I see that as an example of a healthy codependency.

Sorry for the soup of inner musings. That's what happens when you take a good shower I guess.

I definitely agree with your analysis of the link between them being Zodiac animals & their distance from others & I'd like to expand on what you've pointed out.

The real tragedy of their denial of closeness with others is that it's not only based on Akito's manipulation & abuse; there are actual, traumatic consequences that have resulted from them embracing who they are. This combination of ingrained fear can make it next to impossible for them to not self sabotage to at least some degree because they've experienced first hand how far some people will go if they don't like who you are. 

Everything from bullying at school to suicide to losing the love of their life to being imprisoned, these Zodiac members have been through Hell at every turn. And you know what the worst part is? These types of things don't just happen in anime, they happen in REAL life. That's what makes this hit so hard for me. People get bullied, kill themselves, leave their significant others, & even get jailed due to not being what society may deem as acceptable every single day. I mean these things are happening right now as I type this. Think about that for a moment. 

People also shut down emotionally or verbally, self harm, & fall prey to delusional thinking or risky behaviors due to these issues as well. Ayame is great example of this by way of his overly sexual nature & endless need for attention. Any attention is good attention to him no matter how uncomfortable it may make the people around him. Haru is another example due to his going 'dark' when he's upset & becoming extremely confrontational & violent. In both of these characters, their coping mechanisms for stress are extreme. Shigure honesty gets a kick out of seeing those around him upset so he behaves in a majorly passive aggressive manner to ensure that there is always at least a little chaos going on. He then tries to play it off as joking around but in reality it is actually quite mean spirited. 

Overall, I think that what the creators of Fruits Basket have done is utterly brilliant & I'm so glad I've started watching this show. 

On 5/10/2020 at 12:31 AM, Wedgy said:

I was thinking about Kureno's appearance (finally!) and it had me thinking on something that I can't precisely recall about the manga because it's been so many years since I read it. Kureno is basically enabling Akito by allowing her to control him- he even says as much to Arisa (even if she doesn't understand the context) that he isn't allowed anywhere. This is because he is another victim of Akito's abuse. I'm noticing now a lot more about the larger, darker themes of Fruits Basket and the domestic issues it brings to the viewer's attention. Almost every Zodiac has experienced some form of abuse, and Akito's name is written all over it. However, they all accept it that "this is just how things are"; Kyo doesn't even seem to consider the option that he could simply run away, to a different country if he has to, to avoid solitary confinement. And there don't seem to be many other Sohmas willing to stand up and say "that's not right!" There could be an element of their curse that keeps them tethered to the family, but if there was, I don't remember it ever being brought up. 

Any thoughts about this?

I especially feel bad for yuki , hes just so scared   i mean terrified of Akito. Its like no one could have a good relationship with another girl or something and they want someone to get hurt . I just want her to die and be gone

• Like 1

I hate how episode 6 just ended like that. And also I hated akito , Hes just so annoying , Like she just doesnt know how to leave people be . " im gonna teach them a lesson " shouldnt be something she should say , and Im glad that hat use to belong to Yuki

Edited by Anime loveer
  • Like 1