Thoughts On The Latest Episode of Fruits Basket?

EnviousEnvy

My thoughts on Akito is that on one hand she was raised believing that she was essentially a god as far as the Soma family was concerned anyway. But at the same time with no regard as to her individuality, just the role she was expected to play. The result is an arrogant, self centered but miserable person (if “god” is unhappy, what right does anyone else have to be happy?) The impression I get is that Shigure is actually trying to use Tohru to teach Akito a lesson. That kindness can be stronger than hate & hope can be stronger than despair. It’s a risky gamble considering just how unstable Akito is & even though Tohru puts on a cheerful face, there’s a lot trauma beneath the surface. His comment in one earlier episode about being willing to be hated suggests he fully expects Tohru, Kyo and/or Yuki to get hurt (physically or emotionally) in the process.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

My thoughts on Akito is that on one hand she was raised believing that she was essentially a god as far as the Soma family was concerned anyway. But at the same time with no regard as to her individuality, just the role she was expected to play. The result is an arrogant, self centered but miserable person (if “god” is unhappy, what right does anyone else have to be happy?) The impression I get is that Shigure is actually trying to use Tohru to teach Akito a lesson. That kindness can be stronger than hate & hope can be stronger than despair. It’s a risky gamble considering just how unstable Akito is & even though Tohru puts on a cheerful face, there’s a lot trauma beneath the surface. His comment in one earlier episode about being willing to be hated suggests he fully expects Tohru, Kyo and/or Yuki to get hurt (physically or emotionally) in the process.

I completely agree with you & what makes me so nervous is that I think that Shigure's plan will ultimately succeed but at what cost, you know? Like who's gonna get leveled by Akito while in the midst of one of her narcissistic rages & will there be any hope of repairing whatever damage gets done? 

Can I just say that I wish we could do like a virtual brunch or coffee hour or something to discuss this in real time because I'm having the best time discussing Fruits Basket with you guys :)

Edited by RuthisianCodex

I just watched the latest episode & good grief, I can see why Shigure's animal is the dog. Sheesh. 

And Hiro needs to cool it on what he says to Tohru. I get it that he's young but he is well aware that he is being rude & he just need to knock it off!

My heart cried out in joy for Yuki and what he said at the end about no longer being in the dark. I even clapped. I just couldn't help myself because he clearly suffers from some degree of PTSD due to the torture that Akito put him through so what a powerful moment for him. 

And Rin....SMH! Her part made me so damn angry I just wanted to scream because poor Haru...

@Wedgy just out of curiosity. I haven’t read the manga so have no idea where we are on the overall story. Do you think 25 or  so episodes in season 2 will finish things or will we likely have to wait for a season 3?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wedgy said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were 4 seasons.

Season 1 covered up to right around volume 6 of the manga. So if we see similar pacing, and so far that's what it's looking like, season 2 should end around volume 12, and so on. With a total of 23 volumes of the manga, that does leave a little wiggle room. 

I totally would want a season 4 , since its such a good anime

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

After watching episode 7.  As if we needed more reason to dislike Akito. Dang, she’s twisted.

*SIGHS* Something about this episode just made me sick to my stomach. Like when they were walking to go see Akito it was like they were walking to a damn funeral or being led into a den of monsters to be eaten alive. Such a sense of deep dread & despair hung over the entire interaction. Akito seems keen to isolate certain victims that she finds the most vulnerable & it is just so damn unnerving & infuriating at the same time!

And I think I got a better sense of what Shigure's angle is in all this but I still don't agree. He's trying to force certain members of the clan to fight back against Akito & while I get that, I simply do not agree with how he's going about it at all. 

• Like 1

Im a little confused about shigure in this episode . This episode was also really sad , But i thought the ending was beautiful .

And also , @RuthisianCodex You were right about how they were like walking to a funeral instead going to visit and see someone

Edited by Anime loveer
  • Like 1

I have the feeling that we won’t get a really clear picture of things until we’re given a more detailed explanation of the zodiac curse & it’s connection to the legend. One thing we learned this week is that Soma members who don’t correspond to a zodiac animal at least have a chance at a normal childhood, while the cursed children all suffer some degree of neglect from their parents & seem to be regarded as Akito’s “pets”. Her approach seems to be convincing them that they are useless/worthless so they should love her unconditionally for any attention she shows them even if it’s abusive, because it’s all they can hope for. She seems to have particularly targeted Yuki. His helping Tohru as a child appears to be the defining moment in realizing he can have value apart from Akito. I also think Akito’s particular dislike of Momiji is because he continues to act cheerful inspite of his family situation

Shigure is very difficult to read. He seems to relish the role of a scoundrel/troublemaker. I don’t think he’s actually malicious but seems to accept people getting hurt as a necessity. Seems like he thinks Tohru can maybe “break the curse” as an outsider who can touch & change the hearts of others. 
As much as I dread seeing what Akito will wind up doing, I think the real heartache will be a result of the changing  relationship between Tohru, Yuki & Kyo. For the record, as much as I have come to sympathize for Yuki the past couple weeks, I’m still rooting for Kyo.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ohiotaku said:

I have the feeling that we won’t get a really clear picture of things until we’re given a more detailed explanation of the zodiac curse & it’s connection to the legend. One thing we learned this week is that Soma members who don’t correspond to a zodiac animal at least have a chance at a normal childhood, while the cursed children all suffer some degree of neglect from their parents & seem to be regarded as Akito’s “pets”. Her approach seems to be convincing them that they are useless/worthless so they should love her unconditionally for any attention she shows them even if it’s abusive, because it’s all they can hope for. She seems to have particularly targeted Yuki. His helping Tohru as a child appears to be the defining moment in realizing he can have value apart from Akito. I also think Akito’s particular dislike of Momiji is because he continues to act cheerful inspite of his family situation

Shigure is very difficult to read. He seems to relish the role of a scoundrel/troublemaker. I don’t think he’s actually malicious but seems to accept people getting hurt as a necessity. Seems like he thinks Tohru can maybe “break the curse” as an outsider who can touch & change the hearts of others. 
As much as I dread seeing what Akito will wind up doing, I think the real heartache will be a result of the changing  relationship between Tohru, Yuki & Kyo. For the record, as much as I have come to sympathize for Yuki the past couple weeks, I’m still rooting for Kyo.

Agree 100% with everything you said. Kyo is my guy until the very end but I absolutely hope that Yuki gets his moment as well. 

• Like 1

Just watched this week's episode & I'm so annoyed with Rin & Akito that it just makes me want to take my earrings out & tell them both to meet me outside how 'bout that! UGH!

I do have a better understanding now of just how deep Akito's own self loathing goes & she seriously is a narcissistic lunatic. She literally & totally gets her power from getting under the skin of others & trying to make them hate themselves. Like, for real, HOW much power can her zodiac animal really have? Is she a dragon or something?

Spoiler

This episode alludes to her being the rooster but there's no friggin' way I'd let a damn chicken treat me like that & her being a chicken makes this all even more symbolically ironic.

She's a massive coward & a bully & if I were in this anime I'd fry her up, serve her with some mashed potatoes & gravy, & call it good! 

And the sacrifice comment from Kyo put my tummy in knots. I just have this growing unease about what might be coming next you guys. 

Pretty sure they said Hatori is the dragon even though his form is a seahorse & the rooster reference was to Kureno. I think Akito’s role  in the legend is that of the god who hosts the banquet. Hence her god complex & treating the others like pets. As to why she can get away with it, this is just headcanon. The Sohma’s seem like a pretty wealthy & influential clan. Maybe that’s dependent on Akito’s “blessing” so they let her do what she wants to those under the curse in exchange for prosperity & she has some kind of hold over the cursed ones. Maybe that’s why Tohru (an outsider) seems so vital to whatever Shigure is scheming. Problem is Tohru is under a lot of emotional & psychological stress over graduation & the comment Hiro made about her dad. If Akito goes after her now, not sure she’ll be able to withstand it. Maybe Kyo or Yuki will try to defend her & get hurt. These last bits are just speculation but a happy ending still seems like a long way off & in the short term things are looking bleak

• Like 2

I honestly think that something ridiculous is going to happen where Kyo & Yuki both have to step up to defend Tohru & then there's going to be some heart wrenching scene where Kyo chooses to sacrifice himself since he doesn't feel like he belongs anyway. SIGHS 

I hope that's not the case but to me that's where this all seems to be headed. I still really want to know what on Earth is going on with Rin. Why is she so angry? 

Every single character in this show is going through some type of mental anguish or psychological turmoil & for me, that's part of what makes this show so interesting. Each character has so many layers, it's mind boggling. 

Just now, RuthisianCodex said:

I honestly think that something ridiculous is going to happen where Kyo & Yuki both have to step up to defend Tohru & then there's going to be some heart wrenching scene where Kyo chooses to sacrifice himself since he doesn't feel like he belongs anyway. SIGHS 

I hope that's not the case but to me that's where this all seems to be headed. I still really want to know what on Earth is going on with Rin. Why is she so angry? 

Every single character in this show is going through some type of mental anguish or psychological turmoil & for me, that's part of what makes this show so interesting. Each character has so many layers, it's mind boggling. 

Rin is probably mad becuase of Hatori or Akito . Or maybe both

• Like 1

Yeah but she's been angry this whole time, not just when she got to the beach. And why lash out at Tohru? Heck, she even lashed out at Kagura when she was at home. Wait a minute...Akito is the one that put Rin in the hospital, isn't that right?

I think yea , and she also broke up with Hatori . 

I think shes just taking her anger out on other people , I think soon just like the others , she'll be good friends with Tohru

Edited by Anime loveer
  • Like 1

Cannot believe I actually forgot it was Monday since I didn’t have to work. Apologies that I wasn’t even up to date when I made my last post. Have to think meeting with each of them individually is Akito’s  way of trying to reassert ownership over them.

And seeing Kyo looking happy when she thinks he should be miserable has to enrage her. She’s already talking about how Tohru should be eliminated & it being merciful to just teach her a lesson. Not only Rin, but she’d also nearly blinded Hatori & injured Kisa who is still a child. Someone really needs to warn Tohru about what a psychopath she is, because she’s actually wanting to meet her. Finally, have to agree with Kagura’s opinion of Shigure

Edited by Ohiotaku

Yeah my reaction & Kagura's are right on par with each other. I mean, this is not just some Mean Girls BS, ok? Akito hasn't just hurt people, she's hospitalized AND traumatized them. This is serious! And Shigure's carrying on with that smug expression like this is some twisted game of chess & in his mind that's exactly what this is I bet. Kisa's worry about Tohru getting hurt just about broke me because good heavens, she's practically still a baby. 

• Agree 1

Okay so I am finally caught up. I have to say I'm quite intrigued to see Akito is gonna fair when all this cat and mouse game backfires in her face. As I listened to her dialog and they shot the complete opposite of the things she was saying was very amusing to say the least. I really don't know the angle  the others are trying to get here I guess we won't know for some time what the end game will be. But I very much think Tohru will come out on top.

• Like 2