Thoughts On The Latest Episode of Fruits Basket?

EnviousEnvy

14 hours ago, RuthisianCodex said:

I swear, if anything horrible happens to Tohru I will lose my mind...just leave her alone, Akito! Geez! 

I doubt that she will leave her alone . If i was tohru maybe i would call the police ? 

Geez , i wonder what polices are for 

• Like 1

Season 2 episode 9

And this is why I’m a Kyo fan. Much more at stake in his rivalry with Yuki than I realized. And the more we learn about Akito the more twisted she is.

Still need some clarification but I remember the scene in season 1 where it was implied Kyo was somehow connected to the death of Tohru’s mom, at least it was confirmed that he met her & saw a picture of Tohru

As emotional as this week’s episode was, gonna need to watch something lighthearted & comedic before trying to sleep tonight.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 1

Oh boy, where do I even begin with this episode? A few points:

Shigure-I think that Shigure is the type of person who when nothing's wrong, something's wrong, you know what I mean? There have been several occasions where he goes out of his way to create dramatic situations for his own amusement. Now, to him it's hilarious but Akito has not only mentally scarred people, she's also put them in the hospital so Shigure knows good & well how serious things can get. And I think that makes him the most damaged of all Akito's victims because he is knowingly passing down that type of antagonistic & manipulative behavior. Now do I think that part of him wants people to learn to stand up for themselves? Yes. But there's also a part of him that genuinely enjoys seeing others in dismay & I just can't get beyond that with him. Like, when he's walking people to go see Akito, he reminds me of Percy from The Green Mile because it just seems to really tickle him to see someone going to their doom. If he were standing up to Akito it would be one thing but he doesn't. He damn near melts into her arms whenever she wants him & the whole thing just makes me nauseous.

Akito-If she were a real person & in my presence I'd have no choice but to break her f*cking face open & level the rest of her because the things she did & said to Kyo absolutely had me seeing red. Like seriously, how dare you! Akito is the undisputed champion of projecting because she does completely deplorable things & then accuses the person she's doing them to of being a horrible person, a loser, a monster, etc. etc. And her reason for letting Tohru stay with them is just so sinister & twisted. Akito, just do me a favor & go die somewhere please. UGH!

Kyo-I re-watched a few parts & this episode explains a LOT about why Kyo behaves the way that he does & why he's so conflicted & angry all the time. It goes much, much deeper than the self esteem issues due to his true form. I mean, he is dealing with multiple levels of severe psychological trauma. If he were a person in real life, he'd probably go on to become a serial killer or something, like that's how serious all the grief & anguish & raw pain is that he is carrying around. Yet under all that, he still has a heart that desires to love & be loved. And he still has a lot of fight left in him. When he

Spoiler

caught Akito's fist & began yelling at her

, my heart soared because he is the ONLY one so far who has even attempted to defend themselves & that's at least something. 

Overall, this week's episode just rekt me to epic proportions. 

Edited by RuthisianCodex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthisianCodex said:

Overall, this week's episode just rekt me to epic proportions. 

That’s the real power of this series. It’s capability of bringing on emotional reactions that don’t feel just like pushing buttons or shock value. It’s not always pleasant, but makes you reflect on things. 

• Agree 1

Now that we know more of Kyo's past , I feel even badder for him , actually for everyone that Akito has bullied . But im more suprised at how Kyo stood up to her and defended himself . I hated how Akito called both of them a monster , and i don't believe the part where she said Kyo killed his own mom .

• Like 1

You know, I've gone back to this episode & the one theme that I think rings out the loudest is the consequences that result from not addressing grief or allowing oneself to grieve fully. 

Take the situation with Kyo & Akito, for example. What happened to his mom is the driving force behind Kyo's determination to be accepted & beat Yuki, which has unfortunately been capitalized by Akito. This way, IF he is not successful, that hateful b*tch(I'm sorry guys but I've never hated a character more in my life & I just can't hold back) can not only imprison him for real, she can twist it around & make it all his fault, therefore effectively destroying the rest of his will & self esteem. 

Now, did Kyo have to agree to this? No, of course not. But let's not forget that he's still a kid & a kid who's grieving the loss of his mother & battling some very serious mental & psychological distress. Akito knows this & is preying on him because of it. That's simply evil & cowardly, in my opinion. 

The worst part of all is that right now, this same situation is happening to someone out there in real life. Real people get entrapped by predators like Akito due to their mental & emotional states ALL the time & it's just sick. This is literally the foundation of abusive relationships. 

• Agree 1

On 6/1/2020 at 10:07 PM, Wedgy said:

What I still find curious about how the anime is being handled is how Akito is being referred to simply as Akito. As in, never once have I seen Akito spoken of with a pronoun. Which I find strange because it's actually a very important detail about her character. I guess we'll see how they tackle that later. 🤔

The way Akito has been portrayed to this point makes it a real challenge for when they finally reveal her backstory & almost inevitably try to convince the viewers that she is deserving redemption. You cannot look at her actions or listen to her words without realizing she is a emotionally/psycologically damaged & miserable individual. But what’s hard to look past is first the number of lives she has tried her hardest to destroy. Secondly that the abuse she hands out is on every level: verbal, physical, emotional & psychological. Which is what made the confrontation between her &  Kyo last week so painful. She throws something at him & physically hits him. She calls him a monster with no value. She reminds him of her “generosity” in giving him a chance to win his freedom & taunts him that his failure proves she is right about him.She attacks his relationships by making him remember his mother’s death, that his father blames him for it & suggests that Tohru is a monster for showing him kindness. Akito attacks her victims on every front & does not let up until she feels she’s broken them. I won’t say it’s impossible to make her a sympathetic character but it sure as hell won’t be easy after they have done such a perfect job of portraying her as a truly despicable antagonist.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 1

@Ohiotaku You are so right. At this point, I can't think of anything that Akito could even do to try to redeem herself. Releasing Kyo & apologizing to everyone would be a start but even that wouldn't be enough in my opinion because of the severity of trauma that she's inflicted on everyone. Let me use a real world example to better explain what I'm trying to say here. Let's say someone is in an abusive relationship & the abuser apologizes or dies or gets locked up for the rest of their life. None of that is going to erase the damage that this person has done to their victim. It may provide some closure or justice but those things in & of themselves do not equate to healing emotional, mental, or psychological damage. In this case, as you so rightly pointed out, Akito's abuse knows NO bounds. She methodically & insidiously selects a target, studies them, isolates them, & then slowly begins tearing them apart until there's almost nothing left. And if you pay close attention, every single one of her victims eventually ends up lashing out at others because of how she's treated them.

They instinctively become distressed when approached with any type of strong emotion whether that's genuine kindness or rejection or engage in unhealthy behavior in general. Akito has effectively destroyed their abilities to respond to stressors in a positive way for the most part. Some examples that come to mind immediately are Haru's rampage after getting rejected by Rin, Rin lashing out at Tohru when in her animal form, Yuki being at an almost complete loss of words any time he tries to express how he feels about Tohru, Shigure's delight at seeing other people in dismay, Kyo's feelings of total helplessness & how he puts up emotional blocks towards any form of love or kindness to the point that he is overly combative, Ayame's overly sexual nature & narcissistic behavior, & Kisa's refusal to stand up for herself yet she bites people when they get too close to her in her animal form, even when approaching her kindly like Tohru did out of just plain distrust & as adorable as this was due to her animal being portrayed as essentially just a baby, this just illustrates how the initial reaction is to protect oneself. 

This show has deeply impacted me on a personal level due to some things that I've experienced over the course of my life & has made me more determined than ever to find new ways to lend aide to the local organizations here that help abuse survivors. So instead of wasting money on a replica of Akito that I can break to pieces, I'm going to do everything in my power to help those within my community who have dealt with or are currently dealing with real life Akitos. 

Edited by RuthisianCodex
  • Friendly 1

17 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Her own backstory definitely is not an excuse for her-- I'm just pointing out this is a sad situation that happens in real life and Akito is doing a damn good job in portraying it.

I agree so much with everyone !

On 6/6/2020 at 10:06 PM, Ohiotaku said:

The way Akito has been portrayed to this point makes it a real challenge for when they finally reveal her backstory & almost inevitably try to convince the viewers that she is deserving redemption. You cannot look at her actions or listen to her words without realizing she is a emotionally/psycologically damaged & miserable individual. But what’s hard to look past is first the number of lives she has tried her hardest to destroy. Secondly that the abuse she hands out is on every level: verbal, physical, emotional & psychological. Which is what made the confrontation between her &  Kyo last week so painful. She throws something at him & physically hits him. She calls him a monster with no value. She reminds him of her “generosity” in giving him a chance to win his freedom & taunts him that his failure proves she is right about him.She attacks his relationships by making him remember his mother’s death, that his father blames him for it & suggests that Tohru is a monster for showing him kindness. Akito attacks her victims on every front & does not let up until she feels she’s broken them. I won’t say it’s impossible to make her a sympathetic character but it sure as hell won’t be easy after they have done such a perfect job of portraying her as a truly despicable antagonist.

• Agree 1

Episode 10 was so sad , Akito just completely ruined this episode , getting both momiji and tohru hurt . Tohru meeting the final member of the zodiac , the rooster might have been good , im still disgusted with akito , shes a creep .

• Agree 2

Lot of my suspicions confirmed this week & Tohru finally has an idea of what she’s up against. Actually surprised things didn’t turn out much worse, though things are far from over with Akito who most likely feels like she let Tohru off with a warning. Beneath her ranting & threats it’s clear she is genuinely fearful of Tohru taking the others from her and is becoming obsessed with it. Judging from next week’s title & that we’re getting close to the season’s midpoint, another confrontation may be just around the corner. And while Akito may be “god” to the zodiac members, she still has some sort of obligation to the clan elders which seem to take a toll on her.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 1

I just finished this week's episode & I had to stop for a bit because my anger almost boiled over completely. 

Momiji is the real MVP for trying to stop Akito they way he did. THAT ladies & gentlemen is what courage looks like: Being scared to death of the horrors before you but being so determined to do the right thing that you refuse to back down. He got hurt anyway but at least he stood up to Akito. 

I'm going to keep my thoughts on Akito short because during her entire interaction with Tohru, I just wanted to reach through the screen & kick her in the throat. I've suggested this before but perhaps I was not polite enough so I will ask again but this time with better manners: Akito, go die. Please and thank you.

The way all the zodiac characters are made to feel guilty & terrified of loving others as a warped means of protecting them is one of the most heartbreaking, if not THE most heartbreaking aspects of this entire show because that's the collateral damage of abusive relationships. Wounds heal & scars fade but when a person is abused bad enough sometimes they close themselves off & never let anyone else close, so the abuse not only robs them of peace in their present, it also sabotages potential peace in their future. 

Edited by RuthisianCodex
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

10 hours ago, RuthisianCodex said:

I just wanted to reach through the screen & kick her in the throat. I've suggested this before but perhaps I was not polite enough so I will ask again but this time with better manners: Akito, go die. Please and thank you

That was funny 🤣🤣 Just hope you dont break your device or computer or whatever youre using . :)

• Like 1

Something else that stands out in this show is how every victim of Akito, even Shigure to some degree, will stand up for others while allowing themselves to get demolished in the process. What happened in this last episode with Tohru & Momiji is a strong example of this because they both literally threw themselves in harm's way for the sake of the other & did absolutely nothing to fight back. They both physically froze in place & just took the damage, whereas in Kyo's case, he at least physically made an attempt to defend himself. 

Another thing that I've been noticing is how dysfunctional Tohru & Momiji are when dealing with their pain. They bottle their pain up or bury it since it's so intense they just push those feelings away & pour all their energy into putting on a happy face for everyone else. At first glance, this might not seem like such a bad thing until you take into account that unacknowledged pain & grief doesn't just disappear, it builds up. And when left long enough, it begins to leak out & manifest in all sorts of destructive ways in various areas of a person's life. For example, none of these characters can accept or give affection in a healthy way & this is a result of not fully acknowledging & healing from trauma. 

Finally! One of the Somas comes to turn with the dark side of their feelings & makes peace about it! Good on you, Kagura, for having the courage to admit that even though your love for Kyo is genuine it still isn't healthy due to its foundation. 

And I really like where this is going in regards to the "bonds" that Shigure & Tohru discussed. 

Also...again...what is Rin's problem!?! 

I really need to stop watching this show too close to bed time as it leaves all sorts of thoughts rattling around in my head 😞 

Shisho (Kazuma) has surpassed Hatori as my 2nd favorite Sohma as he is an ally in helping Tohru break Akito’s hold on the zodiac members, especially Kyo. At the same time he is concerned for her safety & points out that the best thing she can probably do is continue to be a beacon of hope against the despair Akito tries to impose on them. His view of Akito as an unstable child seems spot on with much of her behavior best described as tantrums. While not aware of the exact nature of the zodiac curse, I agree with his suspicion that they are bound to the roles they have been assigned. Interesting how the word “bond” can have either positive or negative connotations depending on how it is used.

The whole thing between Kyo & Kagura was bittersweet. Clear that she’s known for quite sometime her feelings for Kyo were not altruistic. Starting out as pity & later as guilt, believing that if she could make herself fall in love with him it would serve as atonement. I don’t think Kyo saying he would never fall in love with her was meant as cruel but telling her she can stop trying to make it up to him. And even if her initial motives were selfish, she at least played with him which was more than anyone else was willing to do. So he is grateful for at least giving him some reprieve from his loneliness. Him referring to her as “big sis” in the flashback scene I think expresses how he has always felt about her. Still I think it was painful for her to realize that she could never be there for him the way Tohru could after seeing the difference in their reactions to his cursed form. 

Now that I’ve got at least some of that down, gonna try to fall asleep. G’night.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Shigure is a totally infuriating character. Even when he’s trying to do something nice he still has to be an ass about it and laugh at others expense. Though I can’t help but wonder if he isn’t purposefully trying to make people hate him because it’s what he feels he deserves. Then again, maybe I’m trying to read too much into it. Regardless, I hope he really gets walloped at least one before it’s over.

Haven’t seen it confirmed, but think there might be a 1 or 2 week break before the 2nd couer starts. EDIT: It looks like an episode is scheduled for next week afterall

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 1

I've made up my mind on Shigure and I just can't stand him at all. He treats everyone like their only reason for even being alive is to amuse him or help alleviate his boredom. He has so many sociopathic tendencies! His entire approach to relationships is flawed beyond belief. It's almost as if for him, the only way that any romantic relationship can begin and end is with a bunch of chaos, deceit, and manipulation. No Shigure....those 3 elements are not required for relationships. Now to be fair, romantically speaking, old relationships must end so that new ones can begin but that doesn't mean that that process inherently has to include someone getting rekt to epic proportions. Relationships can and a lot of times do end peacefully without a bunch of theatrics but Shigure doesn't seem interested in peaceful conclusions at all. Ugh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The raw teenage angst between Haru and Rin is almost too much! Those two need to get whatever is wrong figured out. I love how complicated Haru's character is to pin down and it breaks my heart to see how much Akito and Shigure's emotional abuse has changed him and how he behaves in order to help others. I mean, the guy literally demeans himself at the drop of a hat if it means doing something good for someone he cares about. See, this show really drives home just how vital having a healthy self image is to living a balanced life. I sincerely hope that people who watch this are taking note and finding ways to heal whatever damage has been done to them so that they can move forward in a better direction. 

Edited by RuthisianCodex

So much awesomeness in one episode! 

Tohru's conference with Shigure had me in tears laughing so hard. I mean, could you imagine??? 😆

Can we just talk about how delightful it was to see Ayame disarm his mom right in front of Yuki and the counselor? THAT folks, is what older siblings are for! #TeamAyame 🐍

Now Yuki's inferiority complex makes even more sense. He's been used his entire life & never learned how to defend himself or speak up for what he believes in until he met Tohru. 

And Kyo...my goodness...guys, there better be a miracle that happens that stops him from being confined or I just don't think I'll be able to stand it!

And oh? What's this? Saki likes Kyo's dad....say what!?! 🔥❤️

• Agree 1