Thoughts On The Latest Episode of Fruits Basket?

EnviousEnvy

I hadn’t commented for a couple weeks because I didn’t really feel the past couple eps, but yeah this was a good one. 
As sweet & guileless as Tohru is, that “I’ll do my best to meddle!!” when thinking of Akito’s warning made me laugh. Speaking of meddling, once again Shigure can’t simply do something nice without an impure motive 😈 Accompanying Tohru saves her the trouble of dealing with her shrew of an Aunt , but also gave him an excuse to torment his “ex” (using the term loosely since it was clear that neither of them actually loved the other). He didn’t have a comeback for her comment that she doubted he was even kind to people he actually loved. Likewise I’m sure he had all sorts if giggles imagining the scene that would be caused by telling Ayame when Yuki’s conference was.  Yuki’s mom seens like an extremely selfish & childish person, seeng her parental duties as just that: obligations that take up her time & get in the way of her own wants. If having Yuki be Akito’s plaything makes easier for her, so be it. Really, a lot of the adults in this series aren’t good people. Apoarently Tohru didn’t tell Saki that “Shisho” isn’t Kyo’s real dad 😂

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

I hadn’t commented for a couple weeks because I didn’t really feel the past couple eps, but yeah this was a good one. 
As sweet & guileless as Tohru is, that “I’ll do my best to meddle!!” when thinking of Akito’s warning made me laugh. Speaking of meddling, once again Shigure can’t simply do something nice without an impure motive 😈 Accompanying Tohru saves her the trouble of dealing with her shrew of an Aunt , but also gave him an excuse to torment his “ex” (using the term loosely since it was clear that neither of them actually loved the other). He didn’t have a comeback for her comment that she doubted he was even kind to people he actually loved. Likewise I’m sure he had all sorts if giggles imagining the scene that would be caused by telling Ayame when Yuki’s conference was.  Yuki’s mom seens like an extremely selfish & childish person, seeng her parental duties as just that: obligations that take up her time & get in the way of her own wants. If having Yuki be Akito’s plaything makes easier for her, so be it. Really, a lot of the adults in this series aren’t good people. Apoarently Tohru didn’t tell Saki that “Shisho” isn’t Kyo’s real dad 😂

I went back and re-watched. A few more thoughts on Yuki  and Ayame's "mom": She's like a beauty pageant, soccer, cheerleading, scout leader, parent from Hell who literally lives by and through the accomplishments of their children. People like that really do see their kids as meal tickets or tools and have no qualms about being on one of two extreme ends of the spectrum-either so over protective that it's outrageous or literally ready at a moment's notice to put their kid in harm's way as long as it means they get something out of it in the end. She has no redeeming qualities at all and no personality of her own other than being a complete bitch. Not only the way she spoke to her own sons, but also the insults she hurdled during the meeting. I love the part where Yuki commented on how 'small' he realized she was. That's exactly what people like her are, small hearted and small minded. During the flashback, Yuki wasn't just scared, he was terrified, yet she didn't care. Then later, she tried to gaslight him by saying that she didn't know what he was talking about when he said that he wanted to get away. No, you're lying. He DID tell you but you pretended not to hear him and tried to twist it around to seem like Akito's attention was such a good thing. UGH.

And Shigure is just a hot mess! Seriously, just stop causing chaos for people dude, sheesh! That meeting wasn't just about being funny, he really wanted to cause anguish for his ex. I absolutely can't stand people like that. He's the kind of guy who once a relationship ends, he refuses to move on so he does his damndest to keep the other person from moving on either. Like he tries to become a permanent fixture in their life because he has no idea how healthy relationships actually work. But good on him for telling Ayame about Yuki's meeting because I shudder to think what would have happened if he hadn't shown up. 

And yeah, if Saki and Shisho actually really did get together at some point after she graduates that would be interesting because I like both of them. I love how she said, I don't know how I feel about him having an older child. Like it's already decided in her mind lol. 

This week's episode reduced me to a literal sobbing mess. 

Out of all the zodiac members, the one who shatters my heart the most after Kyo is Momiji. Good heavens, how tragic for him! His sister is so sweet & adorable & I just wished that I could have been there to take her by the hand inside the complex to see him. The part where he tightened his fists when he was talking about if Akito were to find Tohru really got to me because he knows just how terrible things could get but he was still willing to face whatever danger there may be. In my opinion, this is what makes Momiji the bravest zodiac member because he tries to do the right thing even when he's scared half to death. He does what he can & if that's not enough he goes & gets help. That, my friends, is courage. 

And Arisa and Kureno are killing me. When she talked about how much it hurt her to look forward to seeing him, only to be disappointed, I really felt that. She holds SO much in & then when she finally does feel comfortable enough to be vulnerable to someone it all seems to go wrong. And what happens to people like that? They shut down again, only the next time even harder & sometimes it's for good because the possibility of being hurt like that again or made to feel hollow in that way one more time is just too much. 

I need to go get a hot bath & let the rest of this soak its way out of my system because this episode hammered me pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Lots of feelz over Momiji & his little sister. The irony being their parents making them  both suffer while insisting it’s for the happiness of the family. The mom’s mental/psychological issues may be real, but still not fair to take it out on the kids.

Uo is my favorite non-Soma with the episodes last season focusing on the person she used to be and how meeting Tohru & her mom changed her is a series highlight for me. Even though she’s left her delinquent lifestyle in the past, she still enjoys her reputation as a badass. So getting all worked up over a guy, particularly one she barely knows pisses her off. But the feelings & frustration are still there. I have misgivings about Kureno though. On the surface he appears to be Akito’s prisoner/hostage, but I still get the sense he’s hiding something. All I know is if he gets involved with Uo, he better do right by her.

And I haven’t even gotten to my feelz for what’s going on with Tohru 😂 Will try to put some of them down this evening.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

From the pace of the episodes and from how far along we are into season 2 I am divided as to whether or not a 3rd seasons is worthwhile. In my heart I would love to get one more seasons out of the show, but if it can fit within the second seasons and can be wrapped up nicely I wouldn't complain either so long as it does justice to the story. The biggest heaviest plot is just about to drop, my body is not Regi.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EvaUnit69 said:

From the pace of the episodes and from how far along we are into season 2 I am divided as to whether or not a 3rd seasons is worthwhile. In my heart I would love to get one more seasons out of the show, but if it can fit within the second seasons and can be wrapped up nicely I wouldn't complain either so long as it does justice to the story. The biggest heaviest plot is just about to drop, my body is not Regi.

Pretty sure one of the author’s requirements for a remake was a full adaption. I’m not familiar with the manga, but my biggest concern at the moment is that season 2 will end on a bit of a cliffhanger & we’ll have to wait at least a year for a continuation.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RuthisianCodex said:

Yeah um, I'm going to need them to finish a big chunk of this in season 2 because waiting a whole year would be ridiculous. 

Just a guess of course :P Though I think it would be at least 6 months & a number of 2020’s big sequels have already been delayed until 2021. I’m actually very grateful that season 2 hasn’t had any delays during it’s run.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

This week's episode was pretty cute. That part with  Kyo & the cat that came up to him was hilarious. 

It was still difficult how angry Kyo gets when anyone gets close to him but I absolutely empathize with him. 

And whatever the end result is for Yuki, I just hope he ends up happy & healed from all his past trauma. 

• Agree 1

Pretty low impact this week.  After acting really sweet towards Tohru for a couple weeks, he’s back to being kind of gruff with her though he’s still nicer to her than he is to anyone else. A lot of it is probably it seems needlessly cruel to get close to others when his likely future is solitary confinement. Plus there’s the hints from last season that he’s met Tohru’s mom and for sone reason feels guilty about her death. Just a suspicion, but get the feeling it will come to light as the season comes to a close. The cat was pretty funny, but so was him & Arisa. Honestly I’ve been tempted to ship them at times, but think she has too much fun antagonizing him  & they’re maybe too alike 😂 As far as Yuki, kinda wonder if he might hit it off with the student council member he gave the leaf to, they seem kinda similar.

• Agree 1

Understanding Kyo should be a class taught in universities man, he is such a complex character. There is an important shift between Kyo being distant from Tohru in the early episodes versus his distance to her now. To keep her away from him, he used his usual strategy being mean, saying he doesn't care, telling tohru to just go away. But know the distance is not from tohru herself, but from his feelings towards her. Every time he engages with her is a mix between the happiest he is ever been, and so much pain and fear that he will hurt her. That is why even though he is keeping his distance, he asks her to spend time with him, is mindful of what tohru does, and seems to almost always be aware of what tohru is doing and why. Even though he is "distant" from her, the only thing is his mind is tohru.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, EvaUnit69 said:

Understanding Kyo should be a class taught in universities man, he is such a complex character. There is an important shift between Kyo being distant from Tohru in the early episodes versus his distance to her now. To keep her away from him, he used his usual strategy being mean, saying he doesn't care, telling tohru to just go away. But know the distance is not from tohru herself, but from his feelings towards her. Every time he engages with her is a mix between the happiest he is ever been, and so much pain and fear that he will hurt her. That is why even though he is keeping his distance, he asks her to spend time with him, is mindful of what tohru does, and seems to almost always be aware of what tohru is doing and why. Even though he is "distant" from her, the only thing is his mind is tohru.

You hit the nail on the head completely! Kyo's situation is just guy wrenching to watch because I think everyone can empathize with him. He's a good guy in a terrible situation that is not even close to being his fault & there seems to be nothing that anyone can do about it. I just want him to be happy. 

If you guys hear of a woman in the Central US hoarding Kleenex, let it be known that THIS episode is to blame! My God!

I knew that Rin's backstory was going to be intense but this episode damn near broke me into a million pieces. I'm so hurt & angry & just absolutely concerned for her I'm almost at a loss for words. I mean, yet again with horrific levels of childhood trauma, decimated self esteem, self sabotaging tendencies in relationships, & severe avoidance as coping mechanisms. 

And as I've said, what gets me about this show is that every single thing that happened to Rin in this episode is actually happening to someone out there right now. They're being mistreated, they're being blamed for shit that's not their fault, they're being shamed for no reason at all, they're trapped in a vicious cycle of domestic abuse & toxic attachments, they're being physically assaulted, thrown away, hospitalized, & in some cases even killed. People are out there right as I type this sabotaging their romantic relationships & friendships & business partnerships, not because they want to hurt the other person but because they're scared shitless of getting too close & caring too much, only to get hurt for their efforts.

Out of all the beasts out there, the fear of rejection is among the absolute worst. 

• Agree 1

While all of the Zodiac members have had a lot of their abuse internalized, Rin definitely is one of the worst cases. Akito literally took everything from her, not even leaving her Haru.

I absolutely understand how her pain has damaged her and how much she must hate herself and want to keep others from being hurt because of her.

BUT I CANNOT FORGIVE HER FOR TRYING TO FCKIN TAKE TOHRUS HEAD OFF WHEN SHE ALMOST KICKED HER AS A HORSE LIKE HOLY SHT WOMAN YOU ALMOST KILLED ONE OF THE BEST MCs OF ALL TIME DAGNABBIT

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, EvaUnit69 said:

While all of the Zodiac members have had a lot of their abuse internalized, Rin definitely is one of the worst cases. Akito literally took everything from her, not even leaving her Haru.

I absolutely understand how her pain has damaged her and how much she must hate herself and want to keep others from being hurt because of her.

BUT I CANNOT FORGIVE HER FOR TRYING TO FCKIN TAKE TOHRUS HEAD OFF WHEN SHE ALMOST KICKED HER AS A HORSE LIKE HOLY SHT WOMAN YOU ALMOST KILLED ONE OF THE BEST MCs OF ALL TIME DAGNABBIT

Tohru cradling Rin at the end was such a powerful image. I swear, if Tohru wins Rin over, I believe the rest of the zodiacs would legit ban together & end this foolishness of Akito's.

Because honestly, if anyone had any doubts about Akito being a complete monster, there certainly shouldn't be any now. Good grief, Rin was terrified of Akito yet hitting her wasn't enough, Akito had to throw her over a damn ledge. I'm not ashamed to say that I actually screamed at that part. Now we know how Rin ended up in hospital. 

And given what I'm pretty sure Rin's condition is, I'm more worried than ever. I shudder to think what may happen when Akito finds out what I seriously think is the reason she's so sick. I swear, if Rin is pregnant & Akito touches one hair on her head or that adorable child, I may have to stop watching all together because my heart is just not up for that. 

• Agree 1

Glad I decided to wait instead of watching the latest episode right before bed last night.  
Poor Rin is so damaged. Other kid’s mommy & daddy don’t abuse them, so it must be her fault. And since it’s her fault she has to be the one to fix it. If she’s a good girl, they’ll forgive her and love her. Consequently people who try help are just meddling. No wonder she falls so hard for the only person who says they actually want her. @RuthisianCodex dang, I can’t believe I didn’t pick up on the significance of Rin’s nausea. I just chalked it up to panic attacks, but I suspect you’re right considering they had a scene that confirmed just how far Rin & Hatsuharu had gone in their relationship.

Akito really is a master manipulator. She knows exactly what she’s doing when she reminds Rin of what she did to Hatori and threatens the same to Hatsuharu if he has feelings for Rin. And then seeing how terrified of her Rin is actually seemed to psych her up. Akito’s  rant against women during the confrontation makes me wonder if her mom had an affair & her dad filled her head with misogynist beliefs as a result, in spite of being a woman herself. Would go aways in explaining how twisted she is.

Ending things on a much needed lighter note, the scene between Hiro, his mom & Kisa was adorable. Enough that I’m willing to consider forgiving him for his treatment of Tohru. Also encouraging to see another Soma parent who isn’t a dirtbag.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

Glad I decided to wait instead of watching the latest episode right before bed last night.  
Poor Rin is so damaged. Other kid’s mommy & daddy don’t abuse them, so it must be her fault. And since it’s her fault she has to be the one to fix it. If she’s a good girl, they’ll forgive her and love her. Consequently people who try help are just meddling. No wonder she falls so hard for the only person who says they actually want her. @RuthisianCodex dang, I can’t believe I didn’t pick up on the significance of Rin’s nausea. I just chalked it up to panic attacks, but I suspect you’re right considering they had a scene that confirmed just how far Rin & Hatsuharu had gone in their relationship.

Akito really is a master manipulator. She knows exactly what she’s doing when she reminds Rin of what she did to Hatori and threatens the same to Hatsuharu if he has feelings for Rin. And then seeing how terrified of her Rin is actually seemed to psych her up. Akito’s  rant against women during the confrontation makes me wonder if her mom had an affair & her dad filled her head with misogynist beliefs as a result, in spite of being a woman herself. Would go aways in explaining how twisted she is.

Ending things on a much needed lighter note, the scene between Hiro, his mom & Kisa was adorable. Enough that I’m willing to consider forgiving him for his treatment of Tohru. Also encouraging to see another Soma parent who isn’t a dirtbag.

I'd just like to tear Akito's eyes out because you are SO right. She knows full well the damage she's doing & she simply can't be bothered to be kind or considerate to others because she's a downright sadist. That wild eyed look she got when she saw just how frightened Rin was of her just made my stomach turn. 

I know I'm a bit behind but I got up the part where Akito slapped Momiji (my poor bunny 🥺) and Tohru came to save the day. Even though Akito wanted to ruin Tohru's day and ultimately the rest of her life I'm so glad she's a fighter and won't give up on her friends especially Kyo. 

I'm gonna try getting farther in the series this weekend.

• Like 2
  • Friendly 1

48 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

I know I'm a bit behind but I got up the part where Akito slapped Momiji (my poor bunny 🥺) and Tohru came to save the day. Even though Akito wanted to ruin Tohru's day and ultimately the rest of her life I'm so glad she's a fighter and won't give up on her friends especially Kyo. 

I'm gonna try getting farther in the series this weekend.

You'll need tissues for sure. If you run out, I've got a few boxes or a dozen I can give you lol. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This episode...SMH! So many brilliant moments in this one.

At some point you have to ask yourself just how much grief, pain, trauma, etc. can a single person endure before it just shatters them completely? The entire situation between Rin & tohru has me simultaneously bawling my face off & cheering my heart out. Their emotions & chemistry are just so raw & in your face, it's unreal. 

This show has some of the BEST character development I have ever seen, hands down. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1