Thoughts On The Latest Episode of Fruits Basket?

EnviousEnvy

I've been gone for the entire month of April so I am almost caught up on season 3. 

Is it bad that I'm starting to feel a little bad for Akito and what she has been through?

Also after more and more is being revealed I'm almost afraid to continue to like Shigure (I even have a plush of him). 

Hatsuharu and Momiji are my other 2 favorites. 

@Wedgy Reading your posts actually reminded me of some things I actually forgot to touch on for episode 5 (believe it or not :P )

Kimi is well on her way to being my most disliked character from this series after interrupting Yuki & Machi’s “moment” 😂

43 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

he is able to shelve his agenda and give Kyo some real talk about telling Tohru how he feels before it's too late -(which Kyo struggles with for his own reasons I expect the anime will address very, very soon.)

I’ve been waiting since that episode where they visit Tohru’s mom’s grave way back in season 1. Hanajima’s comment to Kyo about his waves being in turmoil coupled with his apology to a sleeping Tohru leads me to suspect SOMETHING happened where he blames himself for her death and keeping it a secret is one of the last things making him feel like he doesn’t deserve Tohru & can’t make her happy.

Finally, I assume the blonde woman Momiji is talking to at the end is his mom. She remembers his name & that he’s a member of the Sohma family but Hatori erased her memories of him being her child because it was so tramatic for her. It’s sad, but still seems to offer some hope of some sort of relationship anyway

Edited by Ohayotaku

@EnviousEnvy the thing about Shigure is at first it was easy to just consider him irresponsible & irreverent. A trickster & a rogue. I think it was some of his conversations with Isuzu that you start to realize there was something darker beneath the surface. And not until we see his relationship with Akito that you appreciate how cynical & spiteful he is. At the core of it seems to be be his belief that he is irredeemably rotten to the core & that he’s fine with it (why try to be sonething you’re not?) The one comment he makes about his parents maybe partly to blame, but as Akito demonstrates, you can only shift so much of the blame for your own actions onto others. To be clear, Akito is much more a victim of circumstance whereas he wallows in his perceived skeevyness. His reaction to Hatori’s lecture makes me think his claims of not caring if he’s hated is disingenuous & just an excuse not to try. My hope is that by the end he will realize that there actually is something (or someone) he cares enough about to start trying to be a better man. Regardless of what happens, I doubt I will feel the same sort of compassion for Shigure & Akito that I feel for the others. But given the series’ themes, I would be very surprised if they’re not acknowledged as still human no matter how damaged & twisted who are capable of changing for the better.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, going to try (again) to put some thoughts down without getting overwhelmed.

season 3, episode 6 

so after helping everyone else deal with their traumas, Tohru’s finally trying to come to terms with some of her own. The explanation for why Tohru never talks about her dad was she tried to think of him as a bad person even though she knew he wasn’t. In fact her polite & considerate way of talking to others were attempts to mimic his behavior. But all she could see was how much it hurt her mom when he died & she was afraid her mom would rather die to be with him than stay with her. As nice as her dad was & his dad/grandpa(?) is, the rest of that side of the family are jerks. Have to agree with grandpa that only idiots would think a child is incapable of understanding how hurtful their comments were. As if that wasn’t enough to deal with, she’s afraid her growing feelings for Kyo make her selfish because she’s more concerned about his suffering than the other Sohma’s &  that he is taking over the primary spot in her heart that she feels should belong to her mother’s memory. Honestly it was good to see Kagura getting mad at Tohru for not telling Kyo about those feelings & insisting that it has to be love, despite shisho’s worry it might just be pity, because she could never accept “losing to her” otherwise. Likewise, was good to see that no matter how traumatizing her experience with Akito was, Isuzu still gets all tsundere when Tohru worries about her 😂

I ‘m not going to comment on Kyo too much at the moment, because they’re still holding back details though episodes 6 & 7 confirm that he was someone Tohru’s  mom confided in about grieving for her husband & her love for Tohru and the desire to do right by her. I will say that I think his “memories” of Tohru’s mom & his own blaming him for their death’s are being skewed by the fact that he’s been told his whole life that he is the most cursed member of a cursed bloodline. Something definitely happened, but I don’t think he’s seeing it objectively & is using it as one more reason why Tohru shouldn’t  get too close too him, because she’ll die too.

Even though I’ve watched episode 7, I need a breather before tackling it as it finally pulls back the curtain on Akito/Ren/Akira ‘s f’d up relationship (and I’l save commenting on Shigure continuing to sink to no lows as well :P )

Edited by Ohayotaku

I’m honestly having a hard time commenting on the past couple episodes despite having all sorts of thoughts/emotions rattling around inside my head & several attempts to write them down. In that sense I’m glad you offered your thoughts. As you said, none of what’s happened, with one exception for me (more on this later), has really come as a shock. But the intensity and raw-ness of it all does leave me shaken. I always felt that the series overreaching theme was that no matter how painful/tragic/unfair a person’s past was, there’s still hope for something better ahead. But lately I’m finding myself rewatching the still scenes from the ED over & over to try to reassure myself that everyones going to be “alright” when it’s over, because it’s getting harder to see the light with some recent developments. Which in itself is ironic because several characters are already in a relatively better place than when the series started.

As you noted, Hiro & Momiji are finally free from the fear of Akito that bound them all through their childhood. While it’s bittersweet that they can’t get back the years they lost and what lies ahead is unexplored, at least they can start building a future for themselves & their loved ones. I actually feel pretty good about where Hatsuharu & Isuzu’s relationship is right now and Yuki & Machi are making good progress. Ayame seems to finally have acknowledged the mistakes he made in the past with Yuki while resolving to do better going forward & has found something of a kindred spirit to keep him compsny aling the way. Even Hattori seems to be willing to maybe give love another try.

And that’s the end of my lunch break 😂 Will try to put my thoughts on Kyo, Torhu & Akito down this evening.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s certainly the most “emotional” series  I’ve seen in my 40 some years. Granted in general “serious” highschool romance & drama series aren’t my thing but this one has been stirring things up inside consistently for 3 years now.  This final season has been particularly harrowing as it feels like the brakes are out as they try to wrap up everything up with just a 13 episode season instead of the usual 24 - 26. And there seems to be a lot of overlap both within & between episodes. As much as I’ve made attempts to summarize my observations & feeling on a more consistent basis, I have to agree that when it comes to these final episodes it’s probably better to let them finish the story first & even then it will probably take a good bit of “digesting” before I can really work out why it’s as significant to me as it is. While I don’t see it taking over as my all time favorite it’s easily the most impactful & all the answer I need to the question of will I ever “outgrow” anime.

Finished episode 10. I'm actually happy that Akito has changed her way. No matter who they are Tohru seems to be able to change their view(s). 

Also I'm so happy Kyo and Tohru confessed their love for each other. I do feel kind of bad for Yuki though. 

I was beginning to wonder if we would get an explanation of the zodiac curse & how it all started or if it would just be dismissed as in the past now that everyone is free & looking to move past it.  But looks like it will get at least some exploration https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/06/11-1/fruits-basket-the-final-season-finds-its-voice-actor-for-the-creator-of-the-zodiac (side note: he’s the same voice actor as Levi in AoT)

5 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Also I'm so happy Kyo and Tohru confessed their love for each other. I do feel kind of bad for Yuki though. 

He’s got Machi, he’ll be fine 😊

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Friendly 1

I know there are 2 more episodes, but don’t see anyway they can possibly top this week. In tears almost the entire time as so many moments we’d been waiting for finally happened  

Kyo & Tohru finally putting any misunderstanding about their feelings to rest, before Kyo ripping off the bracelet & later Shisho embracing him as his “son”. Ayame’s confession to Mine was surprisingly moving as well. Though the Yuki/Machi moment from last week hasn’t been addressed yet

Sad but appropriate that the root of the curse was a misunderstanding & even the version passed down was inaccurate.

And that Akito finally ends it once & for all by relinquishing her role as god. Not because she was defeated  or it was taken from her, but voluntarily as she acknowledges it’s time to move on. Her heart to heart with Tohru was really powerful too as she acknowledges her selfishness & jealousy. And Tohru explains that she can forgive her out of a sense of empathy. As twisted as Akito’s view of things was, it was all she knew & in that sense Tohru was a threat/enemy. But now, they can try to be friends. Tohru freaking out as Akito pulls her in for a hug at the end made me laugh & cry at the same time 

😂 

There’s actually quite a bit of character analysis from the past few weeks I haven’t put down, but would prefer to take my time with it.

On 6/15/2021 at 4:41 PM, Wedgy said:

I find it really strange they didn't include Yuki in the montage but I'll wait and see what they do in the next episode before I draw my comparisons.

I trust you feel better after this weeks episode?

On a personal level, the feelings he & Machi expressed for each other is the most insynch with my own ideal love story. It was also very well done hearing & seeing his own significant perspective on the zodiac bonds being severed. On the Kyo/Tohru front, it made me smile the way he expected her to need time on whether or not to accompany him on his journey of self-discovery. But her response is “I’ve already decided, let’s go”. They may need her stubbornness to get Hanna & Uo’s blessing though 

😂  While Kagura & Momiji’s interaction with Kyo was framed mostly as teasing, I can’t help but feel some genuine jealousy behind it as well. Rin’s jealousy over Hatsuhara’s declaration of unwavering love for Yuki was comedy gold though. I’m glad me got clarification on Kyoko’s final moments & the actual context of what she said to Kyo.  On the other hand though, the elaboration on Akito & Shigure’s feelings left a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry if it’s judgmental, but I just can’t see what they have as being healthy & feel like he’s apt to bring out out the worst in her.

So just one episode left. Not sure what’s in store, but actually hoping for a bit of a timeskip so we can get at least a glimpse of what the future has in store for this wonderful cast of characters.

That was an absolutely wonderful final episode, so much so that it dispelled a lot of the negative feelings I had over the pacing of this final season (even without having read the manga it still felt like events had been jumbled around). And after so much emotional turmoil it was nice to have things end largely with smiles.

Loved the opening date between Kyo & Tohru with Uo & Hana playing chaperone 

😂 Though in the end assuring him that he had their blessing. Though once again, the possibility of Hana having a relationship with his surrogate-father has to keep him on edge :P As much as Kyo/Tohru may be the alpha couple, Yuki & Machi are just adorkable. I’ve developed a fondness for Machi’s character in particular as of late. Hiro & Kisa are really sweet together & I kinda wonder if they won’t move into Shirure’s old house when they get older. I’m glad it wasn’t just the young’ns getting romantic with Hatori & Mayu going on vacation together. Kagura & Momiji’s jealousy over did leave something of  a bad taste in my mouth. At least in Kagura’s case it was somewhat understandable and she acknowledges Kyo & Tohru are meant to be. But in Momiji’s case it just seemed childish  & evidence that he has some growing ip to do. I’m actually glad Isuzu still resents Akito as it holds her at least somewhat accountable. And if anyone deserves to hold a grudge it’s her, considering Akito almost killed her TWICE. I’m afraid I still can’t feel good about Shigure & Akito together as I can’t see their relationship as a healthy thing. And I really wish Shigure had gotten punched in the face at least once. One criticism I may get some backlash over is I do wish they hadn’t made Tohru quite so perfect. While I fully expected the final outcome to be the same, I expected her to have at least one meltdown/outburst during the final confrontation  with Akito or finding out about Kyo & her mom. And having to struggle at least a little before forgiving. Considering how much mental & emotional pressure (not only her own, but the entire Sohma household’s) she was under it would have been absolutely understandable. And I can’t help but feel at least somewhat that the “Yes, she really is THAT PURE” approach made her come across as something of a “Mary Sue”. Still, it’s just a minor complaint & the final scene assuring us that her andKyo do indeed grow old together happily in love is just what I needed at the end 

As exhausting as it was putting all this down, I’m still not convinced I won’t have more to say once I’ve had time to reflect more on this wonderful series. But for now I’ll just say it was easily best of season, almost certainly AOTY, and one of the 3 most influential series for me in 40 years of watching anime. Certainly the most emotionally impactful.

And sometime next year we get Tohru’s parent’s love story ❤️ 

And I actually did forget to mention something regarding Tohru

I also found it really touching how Yuki took his feelings regarding Tohru being a “maternal figure” & expanded it to encompass all the Sohmas, because she was the one who provided them with the support & nurturing necessary to begin their “new lives”, an emotional rebirth

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I literally cannot believe the series is over! 😭 The ending made me happy though and seeing Kyo and Tohru's grandchild... oh my gosh! 

I hope they do spin offs of the series!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...