Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer)

Seshi

Since it’s airing now and has a huge fan base I thought I’d drop this thread here. Please discuss all things Demon Slayer.

Please remember to use the spoiler button to hide content that could be a spoiler for those not far along in the series.

This Ep 1. AMV I found pretty well sums up the first episode:

• Like 2

It definitely has very high production quality, both the animation & the music. And the first episode was very impressive.

After seeing some clips of his fellow apprentices, however, I'm a bit concerned it could become a bit too silly (particularly the blond haired one).

47163669_783767358622564_261921428648693

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't need to be all bloodshed & tragedy, but I hope it doesn't become too cartoonish.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 3

To me the quality already seems very cartoonish. Too bad, like I said before I’d love it if the drawings were more like Claymore or something more serious. But it’s okay, the plot alone has enough draw for me.

1 hour ago, Seshi said:

Too bad, like I said before I’d love it if the drawings were more like Claymore or something more serious

Slightly off topic, but you might want to check out Dororo if you haven't already

• Like 2

@Seshi I think the quality matches how it's drawn in the manga which to me makes sense. Claymore is kinda in a class of it's own cos it didnt have any comedic scenes unlike demon slayer. Side note I tried for days to find an anime like claymore and I got disappointed that there weren't any good ones

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Slightly off topic, but you might want to check out Dororo if you haven't already

It’s on my watch list 😁

———

Just watched episode 2, and the animation quality was better than my first impression as far as  cartoonish drawings... but the silly bits from the demon were kind of weird for me. There was plenty of gore and mature content but it was also silly. I hope the dialogue and sillyness gets better as the series goes, sometimes it just takes a young manga time to grow up.

Edited by Seshi

I had high hopes in terms of animation since it's ufotable, the use of cgi incredible! its used in the right moments and not distracting at all, i find the cartoonish characters fitting in this world. it was a bit off at first but got used to it. in terms of story it is decent. regarding his family it was a bit cliche and predictable but the way they did it was great, definitely going to watch the rest of the series.

Edited by Mr Intellect
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

I actually got the first volume of the manga last year but never got around to reading it, the art style is a bit off-putting to me. The concept is really what interested me, in a similar vein as Pupa, but I doubt this will betray my expectations like that did.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr Intellect said:

I had high hopes in terms of animation since it's ufotable, the use of cgi incredible! its used in the right moments and not distracting at all, i find the cartoonish characters fitting in this world. it was a bit off at first but got used to it. in terms of story it is decent. regarding his family it was a bit cliche and predictable but the way they did it was great, definitely going to watch the rest of the series.

I really agree about the animation. I was impressed by the use of CGI as well, so I wasn't surprised when I saw it was by Ufotable. I am a person who is extremely picky about CGI in anime, I rarely watch any that are done primarily in CGI, and I don't like it when other anime use it frequently, either. But, the use of it in Demon Slayer so far has been excellent and really elevated the immersive feeling. For instance, during the second episode, when he is running down the mountain the CGI was amazing and I loved the way it was done.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

I really agree about the animation. I was impressed by the use of CGI as well, so I wasn't surprised when I saw it was by Ufotable. I am a person who is extremely picky about CGI in anime, I rarely watch any that are done primarily in CGI, and I don't like it when other anime use it frequently, either. But, the use of it in Demon Slayer so far has been excellent and really elevated the immersive feeling. For instance, during the second episode, when he is running down the mountain the CGI was amazing and I loved the way it was done.

i watched episode 2 recently, and i agree. the animation was even better in this one. the mountain scene was astounding. ufotable didn't disappoint.

• Like 1

Ep 3. Was absolutely perfect 👌 

I love training episodes, you get to see so much character struggle and growth. But also the way the scenes were done were beautiful.

Im really enjoying this anime and I’m sure I’ve got a lot more to look forward to

• Like 3

On 4/19/2019 at 1:06 AM, Dis said:

I actually got the first volume of the manga last year but never got around to reading it, the art style is a bit off-putting to me. 

Oh ma gawd! You didn't like the art style?!?!😱 I just...in the short period that I've known u (5 seconds to be exact) I am sad to say we are no longer considered internet friends.

Jk 😁 in all seriousness though the art style is what drew me to the manga in the 1st place. I actually saw it as I was reading another manga...that manga was featured in jump and demon slayer was the prominent artwork on the front and i literally searched for hours (felt like it) to find that specific issue of jump then find the manga lol. I just find it funny how people have such differing tastes but that's life :). Side note where did u order the manga from? I think I'd want to own some copies lol

• Funny 1

20 hours ago, Dot.com said:

Oh ma gawd! You didn't like the art style?!?!😱 I just...in the short period that I've known u (5 seconds to be exact) I am sad to say we are no longer considered internet friends.

Jk 😁 in all seriousness though the art style is what drew me to the manga in the 1st place. I actually saw it as I was reading another manga...that manga was featured in jump and demon slayer was the prominent artwork on the front and i literally searched for hours (felt like it) to find that specific issue of jump then find the manga lol. I just find it funny how people have such differing tastes but that's life :). Side note where did u order the manga from? I think I'd want to own some copies lol

The style will probably change too, the first volume is too early for me to judge the series by. But I have a local store that specializes in manga and anime. If I'd ordered online, I would've chosen Amazon for two-day shipping, except this week the first five volumes are on sale at RightStuf, so 😉

• Like 1

I am easily influenced by anime covers which is why I tend to watch anime with good visual/animation first. This one was interesting but it really reminded me to Sirius. Unfortunately, I read the manga a bit ahead, enough for whole 12 episodes. I can tell that this anime could really turn out to be great, just needs to be continued. 

On 4/15/2019 at 2:42 AM, Ohiotaku said:

After seeing some clips of his fellow apprentices, however, I'm a bit concerned it could become a bit too silly (particularly the blond haired one).

I wouldn't say silly but rather funny if that's how to word it properly. Both of his fellows (blond haired one as well as the guy with the boar mask) will make it endurable to watch.

Edited by Muco

The new episode of Demon Slayer was so good!

Spoiler

I really liked seeing more about his senpai who had died, and how they were wishing him on. I can't wait to see the rest of the week-long trial. And, I hope Nozuna wakes up soon!

• Like 1

Ep 5:

I like the voice of the crow, that will be something to look forward to with each new mission. I think the story line is getting even more interesting with regards to mythology.

Tanjiro returning that demons soul to his brother was unexpected, loved that moment

Btw those girls with the weird eyes that Tanjiro stood up for are definitely demons right? Couldn’t he ask them for help with his sister?

I’m really into the series visual style, especially it’s use of CGI, which I normally dislike. Also like the visual design for this weeks demon and the teeth gnashing was really creepy.  I still have some issues with the narrative style though, especially the way it kept cutting into the action for something Tanjiro’s  master said.

A couple observations: I was surprised to  see the number of phone/power lines in the city. I guess it does take the place in the Taisho era, but up to this point it seemed like earlier in history. And am I the only one who thinks this Muzan who’s going to be the main antagonist  looks like Michael Jackson’s Smooth Criminal in the OP :lol:

https://kimetsu-no-yaiba.fandom.com/wiki/Muzan_Kibutsuji?file=Muzan.png

Edited by Ohiotaku

I’m really enjoying the visual style of this anime as well. The art itself is very unique. Also did you notice many people have got some facial marking? Like weird scars... what’s  going on there?

Ep: 8

Wow! Who would have thought we’d see the demon lord this soon?

If I was Tanjiro I’d have sliced his head off the instant I saw him, forget the feelings of his family.. how easily he can make an army of demons... Did he do that to show his power, as if to say, stay out of my way? Or did he do it as a diversion to make his escape?

Next episode preview made it sound like we will have a filler.. but it still looks like fun.

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 3:28 PM, Seshi said:

Did he do that to show his power, as if to say, stay out of my way?

Judging from the look he gave Tanjiro, that would be my guess. Also, impressive as Tanjiro’s skills are, he’s still relatively inexperienced, so I doubt if he would view him as a real threat. He also probably picked up on his hesitation and wanted to send the message that if they fought, there would be s lot of victims. Having a family definitely raises some questions: Did he murder the woman’s husband and is impersonating him or did he actually marry her and have a kid? Does he actually love them or is he just using them as camouflage? If the child really is his,  what does being half-demon entail? The series has already shown a willingness to show demon’s in a sympathetic light at time. Definitely curious to see where they go with this

Wow, definitely not a filler. I’m impressed with the creativity put into the story - as always it seems there is something unexpected.

New enemies look strong too, This should be good.

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1