Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer)

Seshi

The newest episode (8) was so good! I am excited to see more about the society of the more human-like/conscious demons. Of course, Nezuko is a precious cinnamon roll, as always! I am loving the anime so much that I have started to read the manga, but I have only read a few chapters so far.

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Another episode where the quality of the animation is really evident, especially with all the temari bouncing around. They also use the same art style to depict the arrow demon’s attacks as Tanjiro’s which really make them standout. Unfortunately the characterizations continue to be a weak point to me.

The male ally’s constant gushing about how the doctor is his goddess and demanding that everyone show her reverence is so obnoxious  I wish his head hadn’t regenerated after it was knocked off. The temari demon’s constant cackling is already grating so I hope they finish her off quickly next ep. And I can only assume arrow demon’s obsession with staying neat is a residual effect of the person he used to be but it’s annoying, not creepy. Finally I hope they stop treating Nezuko like such a damsel soon. Hopefully now that they’ve met some other demons who’ve retained at least some of their humanity she can get some training of her own on building up her endurance and putting that superhuman strength to more effective use (one of the things that bothered me about the early writing was how they made her take a multi year nap while Tanjiro trained). I realize a lot of fans are perfectly happy with her being the ultimate manifestation of moe, but I ‘d like too see her develop some more depth. Plus, I imagine she’s pretty PO’d herself about what happened to her and her family

Looking ahead to the next season of anime series, I see that this one will continue. But it still has some work to do in order for me to stay with it past the end of the month.

Edited by Ohiotaku

I can see why the characters may be bothering you in their slow growth, however, I feel that showing this side of the characters at such an early stage leaves LOADS of room for them to grow, and I believe this series (giving us a lot of backstory and little gold nuggets so far) is going to have much more to these characters as time progresses. I just have confidence in the writer for this, not that I know it for a fact.

Im also loving Nezuko as she is

I can see the hypnosis treatment working on her for now, but I sense that she will get stronger and awaken more to her true surroundings the more she is allowed to be awake. This could lead to her becoming a formidable demon instead of a somewhat tame protector, as she is now.

• 2 weeks later...

<sigh> I knew just from the OP/ED and his brief appearance during Final Selection that the blond haired kid was going to be the biggest obstacle to me staying with this series. Not just his cowardice, but good god man, Brock from Pokemon has more dignity around women. I have no doubt he will grow eventually, but I doubt it will be any time soon and he’s currently so annoying I just don’t know. I’m a bit interested in boar guy, though it seems like he’ll be pretty over the top. I do like the design for the new demon though. 

• Like 1

My opinion of the series actually went up a fair bit after watching episode 12 as I like the way this current mission is unfolding.

I still find Zenitsu’s freakouts annoying instead of funny, but at least he wasn’t willing to abandon the kid to save himself & apparently he has a badass split personality that manifests when he loses consciousness. Not sure if Boar Kid is crazy, a jerk or both (kinda reminds me of Bakugo from MHA). Interested to find out more about him since it seems he’s not a conventional demon slayer. I also like that the siblings aren’t just sitting around being victims, especially the elder brother taking advantage of the drum demon getting injured. We also get a bit more insight into what motivates the demons and just how ruthless their leader is

As long as they keep up the momentum next week, I’ll probably follow it into the new cour.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven’t seen this weeks episode, it will definitely have you laughing, and I don’t usually get many laughs during this show. Also, masked boar was revealed. I’m noticing that all of their characters have a very distinct personality that they’ve taken quite a bit of care to develop. 

So this week there isn’t much of a side plot going on, but plenty of comedy and always much history and lore to learn while following the main plot.

• Like 1

Considering that one of my complaints when I first started watching this series was I was afraid it might get too cartoonish, I’m surprised at how much I enjoyed this week’s ep 🤣 Suppose after the intensity of the multi episode arc it was a good change of pace and actually introduced a entertaining dynamic between the three main characters. No surprise that Inosuke didn’t become a demon slayer by the usual method. Nezuko’s reveal was pretty funny as well. 

Episode 15 - seems like this will be another excellent arc. The scenery details on the mountain really succeeded in creating a haunting atmosphere and the demons this time around apparently consider themselves to be a family. Tanjiro & Inosuke are having to use their unique talents to support each other if they want to survive. Hopefully Zenitsu will do something useful next week 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest episode was surprising, it went into a different direction than I was thinking.

I really like the idea in this series that demons can be forgiven and return to their human condition upon death, if they are repentant. I look forward to seeing more ways that Tanjiro effects those around him with his seemingly healing personality. 

I was thinking that the demon was going to be given a chance at reconciliation since she seemed to be "trapped" and was seeking death as a way to be "set free".

Latest episode focused on Zenitsu and gave some insight into why he acts the way he does. Wouldn’t say I respect him now, but at least I’m more sympathetic than I was. The dude realizes what a mess he is & is trying to cope as best he can and get better.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Episode 19

last week’s episode seemed a bit lacking, but this week KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE FRIGGIN PARK!!! (totally felt like a finale and we’re only halfway through the second cour). If you have any appreciation for this series and have fallen behind CATCH UP NOW!!!

that the “son” was the head of the family and one of the twelve major baddies caught me by surprise, though I should’ve suspected from the way he talked to “mother” & “father” just seemed like a mindless brute. Totally fitting that it was genuine family bonds that allowed Tanjiro (not just with Nezuko but also his deceased father) that let him triumph in the end. And when Nezuko finally does something, she REALLY DOES SOMETHING

And end credits sequence is worthy of a movie

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Spoiler

I don't really have anything to add aside of the fact that Nezuko finally spoke. Also we see another pillar (hashira) aside of Giyu in action and she is probably going to play a major role in the upcoming episodes. We got to finally see Tanjiro's actual breathing technique which he remembered from his father. It's also pretty nonsensical for Muzan to kill Tanjiro's family who are living on a remote mountain (he could've sent one of the twelve demon moons) so I guess his family bears a secret or maybe is related to the Demon Slayer Corbs. Considering Tanjiro's father was able to use the breathing technique in spite of his frail stature. 

Edited by Muco
  • Informative 2

419985D9-C520-4D43-AECB-8700FBF91988.png.043c7bc856ee787ca499fbdb6af26e42.png

I also loved the new characters that came on the scene, particularly the butterfly girl. Not sure if her name. The guy must be the top in the corps, he’s just so strong and absolutely cocky 🤣

I’m so impressed with Tanjiros family legacy, I love how this series has so much depth that we are still learning more about each character, even when they’ve already shown us so much. 

when I found out that the boy spider demon was a member of the 12, I was like.... that makes sense, considering the father was just a dumb strong blockhead. But I didn’t expect Tanjiro to Finnish him off at all.. I hope he gets a blood sample from him.. and a huge paycheck. But I’m kind of figuring that no one will believe a beginner demon slayer (forgot rank) would have killed a member of the 12 Kizuki. What y’all think about that?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Momoki said:

Yoo the last episode was crazyyyy. The animation the story the fights. This anime never fails to surprise me. 

I agree, I’ve been continually surprised with this series. It’s fantastic 😊

Do you have any favorite characters so far?

18 hours ago, Seshi said:

I agree, I’ve been continually surprised with this series. It’s fantastic 😊

Do you have any favorite characters so far?

I really like Zenitsu. Even tho he does seem like a wuss in the beginning he’s an amazing fighter and he’s funny as hell. 

What about you? Do you have favorite character yet? 

A72F3DB1-9A96-43A5-8492-893D66672529.gif

Edited by Momoki
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

5 hours ago, Momoki said:

I really like Zenitsu. Even tho he does seem like a wuss in the beginning he’s an amazing fighter and he’s funny as hell. 

What about you? Do you have favorite character yet? 

Yes! I love Zenitsu as well, I don’t care that he’s got a weakness, when it counts he shows up. I’d say I’m usually one that favors Main Characters, so Tanjiro is my favorite. 😁I’m a bit funny though, cuz I prefer Zenitsu when he’s strong, and I prefer Tanjiro when he’s being cute and sweet. 

68832806-4721-4CC1-8408-687A404B191C.gif.ea3c5d4704292b5b8edc8ca7bef788dc.gif

Tanjiro is obvious choice for favorite character as he’s pretty much the perfect shonen protagonist.

But have to admit I’m surprised by how I feel about Zenitsu. Seshi probably remembers I was prepared to hate the guy just by how cartoonish he seemed in the OP/ED and promotional shots. Even thought he might ruin the whole series. And was really annoyed by him in his first appearance. But I’ve since come to believe he’s not actually a “coward”. A true coward would have just abandoned tgat kid when they were trapped in that house. A true coward wouldn’t have taken a beating from Inosuke to protect Tanjiro’s box, even when he could sense a demon inside it. More recently we saw that despite how much he complained about how his master treated him, he was actually grateful to have someone who didn’t give up on him and wouldn’t let him give up on himself. He actually does want to do better, but has an uphill battle against his neurosis and lack of confidence. It’s too early to say I respect him, but I don’t just see him as a joke character now and actually find myself rooting for him.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Giyu is my favorite character so far - obviously the anime is nowhere near the end and many new characters will be introduced later on. 

Why Giyu? He is a badass. Ok ok...he is also caring towards Tanjiro and Nezuko, like a long lost older brother of the Kamado siblings. 

original.gif

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Was actually worried that the remainder of the first season would feel like a bit of a letdown after the awesomeness of episode 19. But info Muco has provided helps to clarify the bigger picture (can’t help but think season 2 is a certainty).

My current anime-of-the-season, and could potentially dethrone Dororo as my AOTY. Of course I haven’t started Vinland Saga yet & MHA season 4 is still upcoming.

• Like 1

Soooooo.... Tanjiro Didn't defeat a 12 Kizuki. Whew, I am kind of relieved, because now he's got some room to grow and isnt just automatically the strongest there is. But I have to say I was surprised at the twist. I honestly thought Tanjiro beheaded that demon.

This has been an amazing first season. I can't wait til the rest of it airs. Each time an episode is over I'm just grasping for more T.T 

My new favorite character @Momoki - Kanao Tsuyuri. I'm calling her "The Butterfly"

824525006_kanao-tsuyurismall.png.5bc6ab5c83f1c6efad40bc3efbda25e0.png

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1