Would anyone be interested in making a light novel?

LonelyPoet

I was thinking it would be fun to make a light novel as a group here on the sight. Depending on how many people are interested we could get it done pretty easily. If you are interested in any of the jobs please comment. We would need multiple people for different portions of each position.  

• Storyboard = Drafting the story beats for the writer
  • Writer = Write the story based on the storyboard
  • Editor= Edit storyboard and writing
  • Artist= Art to go with the story
  • Cover Artist
  • Colorist (maybe)  

39690688-278B-452A-8038-A0CEE560A52E[3562].jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dis said:

I've always wanted to do something like this, but I don't even know where to start... I can draw decent, and I'd like to contribute to the story if possible. 

Would you like to start the storyboard? Do you have any ideas in mind? We need to get the storyboard done first. We can start the art after that.

10 hours ago, LonelyPoet said:

I was thinking it would be fun to make a light novel as a group here on the sight. Depending on how many people are interested we could get it done pretty easily. If you are interested in any of the jobs please comment. We would need multiple people for different portions of each position.  

• Storyboard = Drafting the story beats for the writer
  • Writer = Write the story based on the storyboard
  • Editor= Edit storyboard and writing
  • Artist= Art to go with the story
  • Cover Artist
  • Colorist (maybe)  

i actually planned on making a club centered on making visual novels/games/stories/etc, but planned on making one once i finish sekiro and shinjuku era on FGO

less the none, im up for artist/writer of story, though story are somewhat related to recent things that happened

(e.g. shinobi story, couse sekiro an influencer and such xD)

im sure there are better guys who can fill the roll tho ;o "coughbeo-chancough"

2 hours ago, XII360 said:

i actually planned on making a club centered on making visual novels/games/stories/etc, but planned on making one once i finish sekiro and shinjuku era on FGO

less the none, im up for artist/writer of story, though story are somewhat related to recent things that happened

(e.g. shinobi story, couse sekiro an influencer and such xD)

im sure there are better guys who can fill the roll tho ;o "coughbeo-chancough"

That sounds great; we'll need a few writers after the storyboard is done. I'll start posting job assignments if we get a few more people. We could use your help. 

• Like 1

I thought of a concept today, not fleshed out at all, but I'm still gonna throw it out there so maybe I can get an idea of where everyone else is coming from as to what sort of story we want:

A man is obsessed with finding the truth that will bring all strife to an end, so much that he rejects the ordinary path the world has set before him. He seeks this truth through isolating himself and consuming books and TV programming, but the world seems to be dead set against his search for the revelation he needs.    
    Until he meets a girl who says she wants his help to find "The Empyrean". 
    As he gets caught up in her plans to reach The Empyrean for the sake of his truth, he finds it increasingly difficult to uphold his worldview as it comes under fire from the people determined to preserve conventional life on earth. 

• Like 1

I am super down to write. I like the first concept posted, I think it could work as a great Isekai. Just One question, what's the empyrean and what would be said truth. 

I think this as an Isekai where the protagonist goes in and out of different tv shows would work very well. 

EDIT: wouldn't the writting define the storyboard? 
I'm very excited about writting best on selected beats but wouldnt the script come first? 

Edited by jubacard
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, jubacard said:

I am super down to write. I like the first concept posted, I think it could work as a great Isekai. Just One question, what's the empyrean and what would be said truth. 

I think this as an Isekai where the protagonist goes in and out of different tv shows would work very well. 

EDIT: wouldn't the writting define the storyboard? 
I'm very excited about writting best on selected beats but wouldnt the script come first? 

I was thinking that the writing based of the beat would be great for the script. I'm glad you want to be a writer. We're already getting off the ground. 

On 4/19/2019 at 7:58 PM, Dis said:

I thought of a concept today, not fleshed out at all, but I'm still gonna throw it out there so maybe I can get an idea of where everyone else is coming from as to what sort of story we want:

A man is obsessed with finding the truth that will bring all strife to an end, so much that he rejects the ordinary path the world has set before him. He seeks this truth through isolating himself and consuming books and TV programming, but the world seems to be dead set against his search for the revelation he needs.    
    Until he meets a girl who says she wants his help to find "The Empyrean". 
    As he gets caught up in her plans to reach The Empyrean for the sake of his truth, he finds it increasingly difficult to uphold his worldview as it comes under fire from the people determined to preserve conventional life on earth. 

That sounds like a great idea! You would be great for writing the story board. Do you have any more information you'd like to be included in the story and characters? I was thinking you could give me a general summary and I could get started on the storyboard and we could exchange the storyboard draft. We could continue writing based on what the other has written. If you'd like for me to start the storyboard I'll need a few more details though. 

3 minutes ago, jubacard said:

So it'd be beats, writting then storyboard? Anyway, I'm down for anything let's kill it!

A light novel is like a picture book but in novel form. That means there will be illustrations to go along with the writing at certain points. So first the story board, then the writing, then the illustrations. 

• Like 1

I get that lol, but how are you gonna storyboard what's happening without knowing the details of what happens between beats.

the panels are the most important thing but it has to have a story well structured to go with. 

I think once the beats are chosen (general three act structure for the overall story/ our opening adventure) , characters designed, then the story is written (and approved by the group, but mainly whomever is the editor) that way you have a propper visual map of how to do the storyboard (although once we have well chosen beats some important moments can be paneled right away) 

On 4/21/2019 at 7:45 PM, jubacard said:

Just One question, what's the empyrean and what would be said truth. 

Definitely gonna think this over this week, hopefully by Thursday night I'll have a halfway decent idea.

On 4/21/2019 at 8:10 PM, LonelyPoet said:

Do you have any more information you'd like to be included in the story and characters?

Also hope to have more details by Thursday night, I need a little time to mull things over.

• Like 1

Ok, here goes... the Empyrean is the heavenly variety of three flames (other types are of water and earth) which are the dwelling place of God, and whoever inhabits one of these flames becomes a deity. Each flame is guarded by an Ophan, or angelic being. To obtain the right to possess a flame one has to reach their breaking point; without exception this must be an ordeal that truly threatens the individuals' sanity. The flames can also only be possessed by two people of opposite sexes, with one inhabiting the flame and holding the power of God, and the other being able to execute that power.

...thankfully I'll have all day tomorrow to work on this, so I can actually try to pull a story and some characters out of this lol. Also @@LonelyPoet is that a pet chicken?

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

18 minutes ago, Dis said:

Ok, here goes... the Empyrean is the heavenly variety of three flames (other types are of water and earth) which are the dwelling place of God, and whoever inhabits one of these flames becomes a deity. Each flame is guarded by an Ophan, or angelic being. To obtain the right to possess a flame one has to reach their breaking point; without exception this must be an ordeal that truly threatens the individuals' sanity. The flames can also only be possessed by two people of opposite sexes, with one inhabiting the flame and holding the power of God, and the other being able to execute that power.

...thankfully I'll have all day tomorrow to work on this, so I can actually try to pull a story and some characters out of this lol. Also @@LonelyPoet is that a pet chicken?

That sounds really great so far! Tell me when you have your story idea more fleshed out so we can get started on writing. And yeah that is my pet chicken. 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I only have one more test to go for college before summer. I'll have time to start some serious work on this soon. Can't tell you when it'll be finished though.

IMG_3702.JPG

• Silly 1
  • Funny 1

Sooooo my test are finally over! Now I can work on the storyboard. I'll start from the summary given from D. I'll get back to you when it's complete. 

On 4/25/2019 at 10:16 PM, Dis said:

Is there anything else you want to add to the summary before I start on the storyboard. 

I'm sorry I haven't been making any progress, setting time aside to sit down and put my nose to the grindstone is something I've never been good at. There is one character I had an idea for that I'd like to include though, one of the rivals if that's okay. 

3 hours ago, Dis said:

I'm sorry I haven't been making any progress, setting time aside to sit down and put my nose to the grindstone is something I've never been good at. There is one character I had an idea for that I'd like to include though, one of the rivals if that's okay. 

Hey that's cool~ This is my plot steps so far. What do you wanna change about it?

1)   Alexander is a junior college student. He comes from a very rich family. His entire life has been planned out for him by his rich parents. When he graduates from college they even have a wife picked out for him. He hates his way of life but doesn’t see any way to change it. Since it’s the only thing he knows.

2)     He tries to fill the holes in his life through television and books. He finds it difficult to make friends; he also lives with the nagging thought that people will want to take advantage of him for his money.

3)     He has ‘imaginary friends’ that he talks to when he’s lonely. One of the imaginary friends tells him if he wants to leave then he should just leave. Alexander tells his imaginary friend that his parents’ goons would just drag him back home. The imaginary friend tells him to sneak away while he’s supposed to be at school and take nothing with him, so they can’t track him.

4)     Alexander takes the advice and runs away during his scheduled classes. Taking nothing with him but the cloths on his back.

5)     He struggles at first but through hitch hacking and taking odd jobs he eventually finds himself on a small island town.

6)     While looking for work in the town he comes across an old book seller who tells him about the legend of Empyrean. He tells Alexander that Empyrean is the heavenly variety of three flames (other types are of water and earth) which are the dwelling place of God, and whoever inhabits one of these flames becomes a deity. Each flame is guarded by an Orphan, or angelic being. To obtain the right to possess a flame one must reach their breaking point; without exception this must be an ordeal that truly threatens the individuals' sanity. The flames can also only be possessed by two people of opposite sexes, with one inhabiting the flame and holding the power of God, and the other being able to execute that power.

7)     Alexander is skeptical at first but soon becomes engrossed in the legend of Empyrean while working in the man’s book store. He becomes convinced that Empyrean will help him find everything he’s miss out on in life.

😎     He strikes out one day to find the Empyrean on the island with the vague instructions of the book store owner.

9)     He gets to a high cliff on the island but can’t find his way any further. He sets up camp on the cliff hoping to find the way tomorrow.

10)                        He wakes up in the middle of the night when he hears movement outside his tent.

11)                        He takes out a pocket knife and hopes the noise goes away thinking it’s a bear.

12)                        The noise doesn’t go away and instead gets closer to the to the tent.

13)                        He’s surprised that whatever it is unzips the tent. It turns out to be a girl.

14)                        The girl is very strange looking. She has eyes that seem to glow in the dark.

15)                        He tries to get her to leave but she insists she wants his help to find "The Empyrean".  She tells him that her name is Willow.

16)                        He eventually agrees to take her with him to the Empyrean but says he needs to go back to town to get more supplies.

17)                        When he gets back to town he finds that his parents’ goons are there and they are looking for him.

18)                        He doesn’t have much time to get supplies before running away from them.

19)                        Alexander and Willow are corned, and Alexander thinks he’s about to be caught. Willows eyes start glowing more than usual and she opens a portal between them and the goons.

20)                        The portal takes them a few feet away from the guards.

21)                        Alexander is surprised by this but there’s no time for Willow to explain. She only tells him she needs to see the place she’s teleporting to.

22)                        They escape the goons and Willow tells Alexander that she’s always had these powers and she feels it might be connected Empyrean somehow. Alexander tells her about how he’s on the run from his rich family.

23)                        They agree to travel together to the Empyrean.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 2

@LonelyPoet Thank you for giving the idea a more concrete form. I feel like this is one of the hardest parts of the writing out of the way . Now we have something to work with!

As far as changes go, I thought maybe the imaginary friend who convinces Alexander to leave could be a familiar of either one of the Ophan, or Willow, in an early attempt at seeking him out. Maybe also to show he has the potential to be heir to a flame. Also, do you have any details on Willow's personality?

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Ideas if you like them.

The imaginary friends are actually fairies, sent to troubled souls to guide them (in promise that they will look to becoming owner of the Empyreal power of the flame)

The Island is known in legend to be home to a source of power, those who are born on the island have developed some strange power in consequence. The powers are said to aid in the testing of ones mind in preparation to their Ascension to the throne of power.

Because of her power, Willow has hidden herself from the outside world, much like Alex. She senses a connection with him in spirit and is able to see the fairy’s that he keeps with him. This is why she seeks his help in the forest.

(btw willow and Xander from Buffy have already been done.. maybe pick a dog MC name?)

Different* MC name

• Creative 1

We could definitely use more ideas; the more people that contribute, the more rounded the story will be in my opinion. 

43 minutes ago, Seshi said:

The Island is known in legend to be home to a source of power, those who are born on the island have developed some strange power in consequence. The powers are said to aid in the testing of ones mind in preparation to their Ascension to the throne of power.

I was thinking the Island could have a history involving an ancient grimoire whose knowledge is unique to the Island, there being only one surviving copy of the book.

And I did have some alternate names for the protagonists: Osmond Clayborne for Alexander and Asia/Aria Alighieri for Willow. I do like the meaning of the name Alexander though.

• Like 1

The Grimoire could be passed down in the first family that lived on the island as the origin of the legend. 

Since the bloodline of the original family has branched off into several families now there is strife and growing interest in the whereabouts of the grimoire. It holds the secrets to the incantation to summon the great angel and to use the abilities attained by the flame.

• Like 1

I like your ideas! (I've never watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer I just picked random names XD but thank you for telling me I will change the names.)  "Osmond Clayborne for Alexander and Asia/Aria Alighieri for Willow" are good names. I'll post the character profile for Aria, Osmond, and the Book Store Owner later today as well as revised plot beats. Some of what your saying can be included later in the story. 

• Agree 1