Would anyone be interested in making a light novel?

LonelyPoet

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 7:44 PM, Dis said:

Lol too tired to type right, I meant to second draft 1

Hey! I don't know when I'll get to be online again but can you send some character descriptions for the characters you created. I don't know how to draw them. 

On 6/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, LonelyPoet said:

Hey! I don't know when I'll get to be online again but can you send some character descriptions for the characters you created. I don't know how to draw them. 

I've been slacking, but I want to quit being a Pro Crastinator 😆 so I did this quick sketch of Fey today (definitely subject to change, the hair is wayyy too purple). You should see more drawings from me soon, I'll probably end up making another google doc for concept art. 

IMG_20190602_190753.thumb.jpg.e9a005525d6852a4fa84ac56599aa492.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dis said:

I've been slacking, but I want to quit being a Pro Crastinator 😆 so I did this quick sketch of Fey today (definitely subject to change, the hair is wayyy too purple). You should see more drawings from me soon, I'll probably end up making another google doc for concept art. 

IMG_20190602_190753.thumb.jpg.e9a005525d6852a4fa84ac56599aa492.jpg

I think this is super cute :) I'm looking forward to seeing more art from you. I think this is good for a profile picture.

Just now, LonelyPoet said:

I think this is super cute :) I'm looking forward to seeing more art from you. I think this is good for a profile picture.

Also did you read what I wrote so far on the docs for the story? Do you like it? I don't know if I'm writing the story correctly. 

2 hours ago, LonelyPoet said:

Also did you read what I wrote so far on the docs for the story? Do you like it? I don't know if I'm writing the story correctly. 

I like it, especially the part where Osmond talks back to the maid and then makes those pancake tacos. You can really sense how fed up he is with his family situation, like he can't take anything seriously. 

If docs will let me highlight on my phone and make some marks I’ll go through and do an edit suggestion soon.

@LonelyPoet Hey guys, I just started on the edit of the draft and found a problem with the narrative being from first person. I feel that it’s severely limiting in terms of explaining a story and being able to tell the whole story from one characters perspective may become overly complicated, not to mention it’s awkward to read (since it’s so rarely used) 

Are you all okay with me changing the narrative to the third person perspective and using he/ she / character names to refer to the characters in the story? This is the way most novels are done, but if you have a reason for using first person that I just missed, pardon me. I haven’t read past where I marked in yellow on page 1.

If you’d like to hear how the rest would sound in 3rd person for comparison, let me know and I’ll continue to edit it in this way. I don’t want to continue u less I get your approval.

14 hours ago, Dis said:

I like it, especially the part where Osmond talks back to the maid and then makes those pancake tacos. You can really sense how fed up he is with his family situation, like he can't take anything seriously. 

Yeah, I was trying to make the maids and guards sympathetic like they're just trying to do there jobs and Osmond is being difficult. Also I was trying to make Osmonds frustration seem valid it's a difficult balancing act. Is any part of it funny? My comedic writing could use some work. 

12 hours ago, Seshi said:

If docs will let me highlight on my phone and make some marks I’ll go through and do an edit suggestion soon.

@LonelyPoet Hey guys, I just started on the edit of the draft and found a problem with the narrative being from first person. I feel that it’s severely limiting in terms of explaining a story and being able to tell the whole story from one characters perspective may become overly complicated, not to mention it’s awkward to read (since it’s so rarely used) 

Are you all okay with me changing the narrative to the third person perspective and using he/ she / character names to refer to the characters in the story? This is the way most novels are done, but if you have a reason for using first person that I just missed, pardon me. I haven’t read past where I marked in yellow on page 1.

If you’d like to hear how the rest would sound in 3rd person for comparison, let me know and I’ll continue to edit it in this way. I don’t want to continue u less I get your approval.

I read what you marked on the page. Neither Osmond or a narrator introduces Osmond in the story. Osmond is introduced gradually through out the story through his internal monologue and character interactions.  Having an omniscient narrator explain things in the story sounds more boring in my opinion. Osmond is a cut off character without a lot of people to share his feeling with so I feel like the story would lose a lot of character building if it was written in the 3rd person since an internal monologue is more difficult to write naturally in 3rd person. Also I think it would be a lot less funny in 3rd person. Maybe we could switch first person points of view in the story? Like maybe a few chapters could be from Aria's point of view or even one of the bad guys?

1 hour ago, LonelyPoet said:

Yeah, I was trying to make the maids and guards sympathetic like they're just trying to do there jobs and Osmond is being difficult. Also I was trying to make Osmonds frustration seem valid it's a difficult balancing act. Is any part of it funny? My comedic writing could use some work. 

I read what you marked on the page. Neither Osmond or a narrator introduces Osmond in the story. Osmond is introduced gradually through out the story through his internal monologue and character interactions.  Having an omniscient narrator explain things in the story sounds more boring in my opinion. Osmond is a cut off character without a lot of people to share his feeling with so I feel like the story would lose a lot of character building if it was written in the 3rd person since an internal monologue is more difficult to write naturally in 3rd person. Also I think it would be a lot less funny in 3rd person. Maybe we could switch first person points of view in the story? Like maybe a few chapters could be from Aria's point of view or even one of the bad guys?

If you think you can pull it off, more power to ya. Go ahead and strike of my corrections since we won’t head in that direction, I guess.

But just to clarify, the 3rd person is the most easy to write in. It’s easily explained throughout all transitions, if given the proper tense. And it’s entirely possible to do an inner monologue through the 3rd person. You just use italics, And then switch to the first person whenever the character you are focusing on is speaking. 

For example: Osmond closed his eyes and bowed his head This is the worst. I can’t stand being around my classmates, just like my parents, always going to and fro ordering others around, their smug smiles - who are they fooling!

He looked up, just then having decided that his life was never going to be the same.

———

So, I think you can have the best of both worlds when using 3rd person narrative. It’s truly not as complicated as writing the whole story in 1st person and switching narrators would be.

The Harry Potter series was written this way, and since it’s sales were so successful I’d hardly say the writing style was boring.

Edited by Seshi

I only assumed we'd use 1st person because it's a common trait of light novels from the few I've read. I think we should still try 1st person, but we've barely started so nothing's set in stone. I'll try writing a bit going off what @LonelyPoet has already done. 

Also, I think the Boogiepop series successfully used first person while switching between different characters perspectives. (Haven't read much of it so I may be wrong)

Edited by Dis
can't mention correctly :|
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, Seshi said:

If you think you can pull it off, more power to ya. Go ahead and strike of my corrections since we won’t head in that direction, I guess.

But just to clarify, the 3rd person is the most easy to write in. It’s easily explained throughout all transitions, if given the proper tense. And it’s entirely possible to do an inner monologue through the 3rd person. You just use italics, And then switch to the first person whenever the character you are focusing on is speaking. 

For example: Osmond closed his eyes and bowed his head This is the worst. I can’t stand being around my classmates, just like my parents, always going to and fro ordering others around, their smug smiles - who are they fooling!

He looked up, just then having decided that his life was never going to be the same.

———

So, I think you can have the best of both worlds when using 3rd person narrative. It’s truly not as complicated as writing the whole story in 1st person and switching narrators would be.

The Harry Potter series was written this way, and since it’s sales were so successful I’d hardly say the writing style was boring.

Boring if I wrote this story in third person not that 3rd person is just boring in general. 

Hey everyone it's been a while hasn't it? I finished the draft for the first chapter which it on the google docs, feel free to change it or leave any notes you want, my chapter ending felt a little weak but I couldn't think of any other way to end it. Also this is some profile art for Mr. Broadwell tell me what you think about is. This whole thing is actually moving along faster than I thought. We might even have a finished product in a few months. Anyway have a nice day. Hope we can talk again soon. :)

Mr. Broadwell

2FC96C30-7A3B-4CE8-BFF8-176466E7BD65.jpeg

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1