Music sources

Optic

What is your preferred source of music?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred source of music?

• Audio CDs: I'm old school, I want my physical copy!
    • Digital store: iTunes, Google Play, etc.
    • Streaming: Spotify, Pandora, etc.
    • Other: please elaborate

How do you normally buy your music?

I prefer audio CDs, mainly because all anime OSTs are still released this way in Japan. xD But for Western songs, iTunes is really convenient which I've used a few times for use in my AMVs as often I don't want the full album.

For the more technical minded...iTunes music is AAC 256kbps, whilst Google Play uses MP3 320kbps. Both are at very very respectable quality levels. :) But audio CD still has the best quality (though you likely won't hear it unless you have really high end audio equipment).

Streaming subscription services are also popular too, we have a SONOs hi-fi device at home which has access to Spotify. For $12 AUD a month it's very reasonable for what you get, on-demand access to songs and definitely beats normal radio with its Internet stations (no ads).

Hm... YouTube I guess. Usually I'll download them so I don't have to wait on buffering (which happens from time to time). Since I only listen to Japanese music, the only other option I really have is to buy the physical copies, but they go for $30-40 for only like 5 songs.

• 3 months later...
Guest Jupiter

I still burn CD's and DVD's. I also use my MP3 player. I like to buy albums off of Itunes and than burn it.

• 1 month later...

Most albums that I want are released during Comiket or M3, and they're quickly uploaded for all to download. I would pay for the ones I really care about, but I don't have the money. My rationalisation against "pirating is bad" is the fact that I DJ and it helps promote artists' work. I've gotten a few people into kind of music I listen to, so I know I'm helping the community/scene, even if it's just a little bit. The small-time artists I listen to don't even care that much about the money, because they do it for the music, anyway. There's many albums that are released for free, and others as "pay what you want." It's fantastic.