Which Song Are You Listening To?

NightDancer

On 3/25/2018 at 5:15 PM, Mars Terra said:

<Yesterday Once More>

Oldie but a goodie.

... And when I say old I mean, well, let's just  say I once listened to it on my friend's 8-track player and leave it at that.   :D 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Oldie but a goodie.

... And when I say old I mean, well, let's just  say I once listened to it on my friend's 8-track player and leave it at that.   :D 

I believe my family owned the best of The Carpenters album, so I've heard their songs from time to time.

I can tell that must be before my time since I've never heard of it--then again, this song is twice as old as I am so...

9 hours ago, Athena said:

I don't think I heard of this group before but it sounds nice and I like "back in the day" songs. Brings back memories. 

They're a pretty popular mellow duo from the mid/late 70s.  (I associate them with the era of disco, platform shoes, and bellbottoms. :) Maybe a bit before.)  You've probably heard some of their stuff without realizing it..  "We've Only Just Begun", "Close to You", "Superstar", and "Rainy Days and Mondays" are likely candidates.

Edited by efaardvark
typoo

12 hours ago, Mars Terra said:

that must be before my time since I've never heard of it

8-tracks?  It was a type of tape-based medium for recording audio.  The infinite-loop tape mechanism was kind of bad though (it tended to stretch and/or mangle the tape, distorting or destroying whatever was recorded on it) and the technology didn't last long.  When cassette tapes came along most people were happy to get rid of their 8-track players.  Its main claim to fame was that it was the first mass-media technology that was (somewhat) portable.  It was more compact than the only other medium at the time, vinyl records, and not nearly as susceptible to things like vibration or motion as a record player.  It was popular in car stereo systems especially.  For a few years anyway.

• Friendly 1

26 minutes ago, Mars Terra said:

Did you personally find them exceptional?

Compared to other options they were great.  A good record player gave you better quality, especially since they usually had a better speaker system connected as well.  The 8-tracks were more portable and more immune to vibration however.  A record player pretty much had to sit still while playing a record.  A tape player you could carry around with you, or even use it to play your tunes in your car as you cruised around town.  At the time the only other way you could get music in your car or walking down the street was listen to AM radio, which was of much poorer fidelity and of course didn't allow you to choose the song.  So yeah, compared to the other options available at the time 8-track players were awesome.

• Friendly 1

On 3/28/2018 at 7:40 PM, efaardvark said:

Compared to other options they were great.  A good record player gave you better quality, especially since they usually had a better speaker system connected as well.  The 8-tracks were more portable and more immune to vibration however.  A record player pretty much had to sit still while playing a record.  A tape player you could carry around with you, or even use it to play your tunes in your car as you cruised around town.  At the time the only other way you could get music in your car or walking down the street was listen to AM radio, which was of much poorer fidelity and of course didn't allow you to choose the song.  So yeah, compared to the other options available at the time 8-track players were awesome.

I recently tried to make a sound that wasn't very loud into one that was, so I know how important sound quality can be now--but I guess if you listen to it low enough then that wouldn't be a problem...

Ne, how likely do you think it would be for someone to try and revive 8-tracks?

1 minute ago, Mars Terra said:

how likely do you think it would be for someone to try and revive 8-tracks

Not very likely at all.  Somebody might do it for the nostalgia factor, but even in its day 8-track had issues.  Vinyl records are still a thing for anyone into analog and/or retro at decent quality.  Anyone else has already moved on to digital media.  I'd certainly never go back to anything analog at this point.  Even if someone just HAD to have tape for some bizarre reason they'd be better going with the later audio cassette format, or maybe something like VHS or Beta.

38 minutes ago, Mars Terra said:

If you don't find retro things appealing, then it makes me wonder if people cared about antiques back before they were such...

I think that's more an artifact of the consumer electronics industry than anything else.  I actually do like a lot of old/retro stuff.. old furniture, architecture, artwork, etc.  Thing is, it has to be still useful somehow, and it helps a lot if the quality is there.  I have a garage full of old things - toys, books, tools - that I've kept around because they are still usable.  Especially the tools.  I bought them because they were well-designed, I kept them clean and well-maintained, and I didn't replace them with new ones because the old ones were still perfectly good and the new ones in stores really didn't improve on the old designs.

Electronics though.. things change so quickly in the industry, and because of that electronic gadgets are not designed well.  Certainly they're not designed to last long or be easily maintained.  Even the better-made stuff just doesn't feel like it was designed to last.  People don't buy a cellphone for example with the thought that maybe they'll pass it down to their kids when they grow up.  People often do that with other types of objects like tools or furniture.  If I buy something with the intent to keep it for a few decades then I tend to care more about it from the outset.  Electronics is not (yet?) one of those industries where you can really do that.  People know that better kit will be out in 6 months and plan to (re)purchase a new version of whatever widget in a year or three.  Can you imagine still using one of the original iPhones that came out in 2007 today?  (Even assuming Apple still provided support for it.)  Can you imagine buying a Samsung S9+ or an iPhone X today and still using it a decade from now in 2028?  Blame it on advancing technology, consumerism, and planned obsolescence.  :(

• Optic unpinned this topic