Jump to content
Absent

Hi, my name is Kinbaryu and I'm new!

Recommended Posts

I lurk on a lot of websites, but hopefully I can become a regular on AF. I'm pretty new to forums, posting, writing, blogging, etc., so anything helps. I'm not really sure how blogging works on this website, but I'm interested in it, so if someone could let me know how it works, that'd be great!

I have a list of anime, but honestly, I read way more than I watch. Looking at my list now, I have no idea how I even find these things.... 

Anyways, my anilist is https://anilist.co/user/Densten/animelist/. I'm probably gonna get a lot of flak for rating something like Tsuki ga Kirei or Boku no Hero Academia lowly, but I rate things based on how much I enjoyed them. In my opinion, it's pretty difficult to rate things "objectively", and that we should just watch anime for things we like.

I also like hearing about what people hear about anime, even if I don't agree with them. So long as you're specific and can tell me why you like or dislike something, I'm really interested in what you have to say. I don't know if plugging my discord is allowed, so you can PM me for my information if you'd like.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, another thing to mention is that my favorite anime of all time are Land of the Lustrous, the Monogatari series, and the Fate series. If you have any suggestions or would like to talk about why you like/dislike anime, I'm all ears! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum, I have to agree with you on ratings~  I have learned to never put too much stock on how other people rate anything because it almost never corresponds to how much I enjoy it personally. If it entertains me, I'm happy with it~

Anyways, hope you have a good time here~

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to af please to meet you ,by the way same for rating as well i do same stuff like you do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, welcome to AF. What makes you like One Punch Man? If I may ask. I tried watching it but couldn’t get into it (didn’t get too far though) and I love My Hero Academia. So I’m just curious on your perspective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the community.

I do not do blogging here, so I cannot really help you with that. Plus, I have little patience to teach people stuff, so the best would be to try it out for yourself.

I hope you enjoy your time here, as we are a friendly bunch.

Since you say you read more than watch anime, what have you read that you enjoyed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies, everyone! It's nice to meet you all too. I'm still not too sure how to blog, though. How do I make one and post?

3 hours ago, Seshi said:

Hey, welcome to AF. What makes you like One Punch Man? If I may ask. I tried watching it but couldn’t get into it (didn’t get too far though) and I love My Hero Academia. So I’m just curious on your perspective. 

Let me preface this by saying I've only seen the first two seasons of My Hero Academia, none of the manga or movies. But, I have seen the anime, manga, and webcomic of One Punch Man, so I'm going to have a deeper understanding of One Punch Man than My Hero Academia.

A huge factor on whether or not I enjoy an anime is the interactions between the characters and universe against the main character. Personally, I couldn't handle Deku's personality, but I did appreciate his interactions with Todoroki and Iida. I'd probably rate it less harshly if people didn't always try to get me to watch more of it. (I've seen two seasons and I'm still not 100% sold yet.)

On the other hand, I really enjoyed Saitama's relationship with the other heroes. I'll try not to spoil anything in case you plan on picking it back up again, but the series is much more than Saitama trying to climb to #1 in the hero ranks. Also, I like One Punch Man's original Webcomic by ONE the most (yes, the one with the rough art) because it focuses less on the fights and the fluff. Instead, it focuses more on what the story is trying to say.

Another thing that kind of always bothered me about My Hero Academia is how Deku is given One For All. I know he has to train to correctly utilize it, but in the end, he was given the power by All Might. Saitama, on the other hand, was never given his powers, (he was born without powers and simply trained by himself to get them) and this point is made clear in the manga whenever he meets another hero named Glasses, who believes he's useless because he was born without superpowers.

I think that last point is kind of unfair though, as the two series are trying to say something different about the same topic. My Hero Academia feels more like it's trying to say "we shouldn't be afraid to follow in our predecessor's footsteps, but we should also be our own person", especially in the second season, which I can appreciate. In that case, it makes perfect sense for All Might to give Deku the One For All ability. One Punch Man, on the other hand, says something more like "you should focus on improving yourself rather than comparing yourself to others", which is why Genos is such a major character.

Perhaps if/when I make a blog, I'll make this into a topic. A lot of people seem to have strong feelings about these two anime.

What about you? What do you like and dislike about these anime?

2 hours ago, brycec said:

Welcome to the community.

I do not do blogging here, so I cannot really help you with that. Plus, I have little patience to teach people stuff, so the best would be to try it out for yourself.

I hope you enjoy your time here, as we are a friendly bunch.

Since you say you read more than watch anime, what have you read that you enjoyed?

Ah, I'm not looking for an in-depth tutorial, just quick instructions on how to get started. My list is here: https://anilist.co/user/Densten/mangalist, but my absolute favorites have to be Kase-san, Yandere Kanojo, and My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness.

Kase-san and Yandere Kanojo are pretty similar in the way that they're both fluffy manga with a main couple that gets established early on. If you check Yandere Kanojo out, just know that Yandere in this context means "delinquent", not "I want to kill you".

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is a heavy story about a depressed girl that feels uncomfortable in her own skin. While not everything, a lot of the things the main character says hit home, and it made me realize how far I've come as a person. If you're looking for a light-hearted Yuri comedy, this is NOT the manga for you, and I would recommend Kase-san instead.

What about you? What do you like?

Edited by Kinbaryu
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QWell I like your analysis of My Hero Academia. I do believe that rating it a 3&4 is still a little low for such a well made series, but all taste is subjective. I can’t say I’ve enjoyed the progression of the antagonist story, the plot there seems a little rough, like they are still trying to work some things out. But what I have really seen is impressive character development. I also like the interaction between Midoria (Deku) and All Might. There is a lot of inspirational moments and to me the concept is a unique one too. I have enjoyed watching the mystery of power unravel and am waiting for the battle where Deku is finally full strength. I like powering up episodes and showing improvement. I think this series has done that well. Like I said before the only fault I see is something that is common in a lot of this type of longer shounen series like Naruto and Bleach, and that is slow dragging plot with the antagonist.

Thanks for listening 

  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Seshi said:

QWell I like your analysis of My Hero Academia. I do believe that rating it a 3&4 is still a little low for such a well made series, but all taste is subjective. I can’t say I’ve enjoyed the progression of the antagonist story, the plot there seems a little rough, like they are still trying to work some things out. But what I have really seen is impressive character development. I also like the interaction between Midoria (Deku) and All Might. There is a lot of inspirational moments and to me the concept is a unique one too. I have enjoyed watching the mystery of power unravel and am waiting for the battle where Deku is finally full strength. I like powering up episodes and showing improvement. I think this series has done that well. Like I said before the only fault I see is something that is common in a lot of this type of longer shounen series like Naruto and Bleach, and that is slow dragging plot with the antagonist.

Thanks for listening 

I agree with you, 3 and 4 is probably too harsh for it. I'll probably reconsider those scores when I watch/read more of My Hero Academia, but when I was watching them, I couldn't enjoy it because of how much everyone was hyping it up.

As for Deku's power unravelling, I also agree.  Watching someone get stronger in new ways is always fun in any series, like in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. However, it's not something that particularly appeals to me. I prefer the mysterious side, (as you mentioned) like in Fate, where the characters are powerful, but the viewer has to figure out exactly how powerful instead of being told by the show.

As for the antagonist, yeah it never really made sense for me. It's also why I rated Log Horizon Season 2 and Overlord III so lowly, even though I liked the first seasons. Both would have done much better without trying to force an "enemy". In my opinion, an antagonist isn't really necessary to a story, since shows like the Monogatari series, A Silent Voice, and OreGairu don't have a conventional main antagonist, and I consider them all to be masterpieces.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kinbaryu said:

Ah, I'm not looking for an in-depth tutorial, just quick instructions on how to get started.

I see, and that is likely why I cannot help you, since I use a different platform. My guess is that it would be the same as every other platform though.

4 hours ago, Kinbaryu said:

My list is here: https://anilist.co/user/Densten/mangalist, but my absolute favorites have to be Kase-san, Yandere Kanojo, and My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness.

 Kase-san and Yandere Kanojo are pretty similar in the way that they're both fluffy manga with a main couple that gets established early on. If you check Yandere Kanojo out, just know that Yandere in this context means "delinquent", not "I want to kill you".

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is a heavy story about a depressed girl that feels uncomfortable in her own skin. While not everything, a lot of the things the main character says hit home, and it made me realize how far I've come as a person. If you're looking for a light-hearted Yuri comedy, this is NOT the manga for you, and I would recommend Kase-san instead.

That is quite a bit of manga, some I recognize and I do not. Thanks for the recommendations I might check them out if I bored, though I have quite a few to follow myself already.

4 hours ago, Kinbaryu said:

What about you? What do you like?

I like mystery/crime and psychological stuff, like Detective Conan, Liar Game, Q.E.D., C.M.B., and Ouroboros.

I do like other series too, though most target the shone demographic, like The Promised Neverland and A Certain Scientific Railgun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LonelyPoet said:

Hi! Your profile picture is cool is it from something?

Yes! It's Strider Hiryu from the Strider series. Unfortunately, it's mostly a dead franchise, with the most recent game being Strider 2014. Hiryu mostly appears in fighting games now. 😔

I noticed that you're working on a Light Novel. Good luck with that! I'm working on a Visual Novel myself, and it's definitely a lot of work. I'll probably blog about updates to it, but a playable version might take a while. It'll definitely be free for all to play, though. What plans do you have for your Light Novel?

Edited by Kinbaryu
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kinbaryu said:

Yes! It's Strider Hiryu from the Strider series. Unfortunately, it's mostly a dead franchise, with the most recent game being Strider 2014. Hiryu mostly appears in fighting cameos now. 😔

I noticed that you're working on a Light Novel. Good luck with that! I'm working on a Visual Novel myself, and it's definitely a lot of work. I'll probably blog about updates to it, but a playable version might take a while. It'll definitely be free for all to play, though. What plans do you have for your Light Novel?

I'm currently recruiting people to work on the story with me. We're getting the story together as well. It's basically going to be a novel with pictures. I'd love to see the updates on your visual novel. 

  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Seshi said:

@KinbaryuI look forward to seeing your visual novel.

 

10 minutes ago, LonelyPoet said:

I'm currently recruiting people to work on the story with me. We're getting the story together as well. It's basically going to be a novel with pictures. I'd love to see the updates on your visual novel. 

Thanks for the support, you two. I really appreciate it.

If you wanna be updated, I'll do my best to have information available on my blog on this website. 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to AF~ I hope you enjoy your stay here and have a good time ^^ The community is very nice so I am sure you'll enjoy it and make a lot of friends.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sofi said:

Hello and welcome to AF~ I hope you enjoy your stay here and have a good time ^^ The community is very nice so I am sure you'll enjoy it and make a lot of friends.

Yep, everyone seems really nice so far. I'm liking how personal and closely-knit the community is, it gives me a very different feel than reddit or 4chan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, i just joined today, and sure i would like to meet you, so yeah, is discord okay? This is my first time on forum omg xD Haha😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 7:00 PM, Seshi said:

QWell I like your analysis of My Hero Academia. I do believe that rating it a 3&4 is still a little low for such a well made series, but all taste is subjective. I can’t say I’ve enjoyed the progression of the antagonist story, the plot there seems a little rough, like they are still trying to work some things out. But what I have really seen is impressive character development. I also like the interaction between Midoria (Deku) and All Might. There is a lot of inspirational moments and to me the concept is a unique one too. I have enjoyed watching the mystery of power unravel and am waiting for the battle where Deku is finally full strength. I like powering up episodes and showing improvement. I think this series has done that well. Like I said before the only fault I see is something that is common in a lot of this type of longer shounen series like Naruto and Bleach, and that is slow dragging plot with the antagonist.

Thanks for listening 

Wow, just.. wow.. 😯

You guys are so commited to this kind of topics (sorry for bad english bahaha).. This is perfect! 

Because in my school there is not many people who even watch anime, and if someone watch it would be something like Boruto or Naruto haha. 

Altho i think this forum is somehow cold if u know what i mean 😅

I dont know, i just like warm chats, talks, everything haha, im that kind of a person 😊

 

  • Cute (Kawaii) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Anime Forums

A unique community of fans from around the world, who gather to share their fandom and love of anime, manga, gaming, fanart and at the cornerstone of it all, Japanese culture!

Take a moment to join us today and you'll have access to our member clubs and events too. Come join in the fun and become a part of our community.
insta-1

twit
×
×
  • Create New...