How do you keep yourself organised?

Optic

How do you stay organised in order to stay on top of your commitments whilst also having time to enjoy yourself?

• Sticky notes?
  • Calendars? (old school or cloud based ones)
  • Diaries or notebooks?
  • Whiteboard or pin-up board?
  • Using your memory?

Looking for inspiration as I'm finding balancing the full time work schedule with commitments and fun is becoming more of a challenge. xD

Hm... I use Google Calander which helps me stay on top of mandatory commitments. If I just want to write something down, like a possible anime to look into or something like that, I use this program called Simplenote (I actually use the Windows client called ResophNotes). I've never really have had any problems staying organized with my schedule, as it kinda comes naturally to me :) Of course, if you want any detailed pointers, I might be able to help out as well.

• Informative 1

I always found keeping up with commitments quite easy , for the mundane things you just find a rhythm and it always helps to have at least half an hour a day to do something physical , I've taken to basketball recently but I'm getting back into boxing again .for those little things that don't happen too often like functions and what not i write reminders on my bathroom mirror with whiteboard markers that way you can't forget because your reminded daily also leaving little reminders in places you often go or on things you use often is a great help.

Hope I could help at least a little.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...

It's been hard for me because I've had so much time on my hands and I find myself losing focus, so I decided to get a calendar to be productive. I think a physical calendar can be seriously encouraging if it's in sight of where you usually work. If you're looking to gain productivity you'll want to list things and then cross off each day that you're productive. The goal being to make a chain of crossed off days and trying not to break that chain.

With me being a little O.C.D (is that the right term?) I can't leave things not done or Incomplete so it would make me loose it a little if I missed (I can't cross it off if I haven't done it) a day so I keep a calendar on my phone I can't cross anything off so I can't leave anything incomplete but I see the names on the list and it makes me watch the new episodes , I cant see an alert and leave it , even on the forum I have my alerts linked to my phone and the only time I don't check them Immediately is if I'm away or asleep , or if for some reason I don't get the update.

That's really tough. I avoid those types of compulsions unless the outcome is good. So I think it'd be fine for a calendar if your goal is to be productive and not just adding in small stuff that may not be to your favor. A physical calendar has less space so it makes it better in that sense. I suck with focus when I stop moving, so I really need something to make me want to keep going.

Same here when I loose momentum I end up doing nothing and I loose interest in things quickly but fortunately (or not . . . sometimes) I am very stubborn and I hate having things left incomplete so I end up finishing what I set out to do but if I haven't regained my interest I usually just stop when I'm done with my goals ,(ie . If i completely loose interest in a anime series I will finish the season I am on [just to be clear I mean actuall seasons Bleach and Naruto and One piece have no seasons they have arcs , zero no tsukiaima has four seasons , Bakemonogatari ha however many seasons it does and so on) and not watch the next but if it has no seasons I will watch it till it is done and then be done with it.

• 1 month later...

I don't really have any commitments that I usually need to keep track of (well, I have to make a report on another website every Sunday, but I almost always remember it just from memory), but if I need to remember something, I like to put it down in one of my virtual notepads. I almost always have one open, and if I put it near the top of the file, i'm sure to see it.

• 1 month later...

I'm not that organized tho. But in schedules I use my phone to keep me on track. Although, I'm so clumsy most of the times I even forgot to pt it on my phone to keep track. But I usually forget about the not so important things so I can live by it.

• 5 months later...

I tend to forget about things that arent really important, so for those I usually either write a note in my laptop or just use my calendar alerts.

I keep everything in my brain. My room is a mess, but I know exactly where every single thing is placed. I never mess up and forget something, never understood why some people do.

Oh, wait, maybe because they live real lives and don't just sit in their room all day.

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd reflect one year later since I made this thread... and I feel I've improved my organisation skills by:

• Maintaining a set of labelled ring binders on the shelf (tax, medical, insurance, all those mundane things)
  • Trying to avoid using sticky notes where possible
  • Scanning all my receipts and then throwing them away
  • Relying on calendar alerts on smartphone for important appointments

I've also been experimenting with To-Do lists, for two reasons. Recurring tasks (e.g. pay rent weekly, check something) and ad-hoc ideas. There were so many times where I had an idea for a project or remembered something I had to do but then forgot later because I didn't write it down. By quickly noting it down in a To-Do list app I've been able to put some order to chaos in those sporadic ideas. xD

Looking at all the responses above, it seems most of you are using a smartphone to keep on top of things which is great!

:nepgear:

How do you stay organised in order to stay on top of your commitments whilst also having time to enjoy yourself?

hahahahahaha organised? what does that even mean? *wipes tear*

I'm the most unorganised, forgetful and irresponsible person I know ._.

I've tried MANY ways to try and get past this, but I always end up givig up sooner or later cause nothing helps. My schedule is a mess, I always feel like I don't have enough time, much like the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.....

which feels strangely similar to my avatar

xbn6s3.jpg.39b1fe9ffd27ecc851c9e6e86254aa72.jpg

I'm hopeless....

Edited by Guest

I use my memory which rarely works out I usually forget my tablets in the morning or my school locker key....

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

sword-art-online-asuna.thumb.jpg.633841ead5b32fd8193626db8aa49066.jpgSo revisiting this topic again this year.

I've been making extensive use of Asana for several months now. (not to get mixed up with Sword Art Online's Yuuki Asuna!! :P)

It's actually targeted towards enterprise work projects, but I find it works really well as a personal organiser, works great as as an extensive To-Do list. And you can create multiple projects within it if need be and even upload file attachments inside.

I did try a few different ones including Wunderlist and Trello but ehh, I think Asana works best for my workflow. I have separate projects for personal RL stuff, one for AF and one as an ad-hoc to-do list. It has a very solid smartphone app and I think that's the key difference, if it's consistent you're definitely more likely to use it. Certainly beats sticky notes!

I use a white board that is by me every time I sit down to my desk but I have terrible handwriting so when I end up looking at it my eyes gloss over what I put down so I still forget most of what I write...