Old school?

Yuuki_Radosian

I'm interested in old-school gaming...mainly 16-bit era, though. I feel the 16-bit era was the last good era for video gaming...but that's all subjective. The games felt more enjoyable to me and seemed to focus more on gameplay as opposed to graphics, like the later generations.

I enjoy games from the Gameboy era more than the modern ones , I think it may be because the focus back then was more on the story on than the graphics , as it is today . Though my favorite game is still FF VII the original version just can't get over it. I have tried to get some of my friends to try games with better stories but I just keep getting the same old "can't deal with the bad graphics dude. . ." excuse.

Hm... well I doubt it really counts as "old school" but I enjoy games from the DS era more than any of the others. They seem to have the best blend of gameplay, story, and graphics. My top two favorite games, Infinite Space and Radiant Historia are also from this era.

I would love to get into DS gaming but I can't play DS on emu it just doesn't feel right and buying a NDS would just be too much for me as there are few games that I know that I will get for sure .I did force myself to play the pokemon games and final fantasy's on DS emu but more than that I could not do. I am looking into the 2&3DS's at the moment because their backwards compatible and I've heard that one of the best (new) RPG games ever (or so I've heard from some people) made is going to be released on 3DS and being a major RPG fan I have to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my most fondest gaming memories were from Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII on PlayStation 1, I know the graphics look blocky and certainly haven't aged well but they had charming, compelling stories and likable characters.

And they were among the first RPG games that introduced full blown FMV sequences. So many FMVs were included that FF7 had to be released with 3 discs whilst FF8 had 4 discs in their respective jewel cases.

Aah .. .. .. I remember it well my older brother and I shared a ps1 and a single save game in FF vii, he would love to fight the bosses and I loved grinding away and improving the materia for new abilities , so we ended up with way to much gil to ever spend by the time we left midgar we had to sell so many materia because of all the doubles I made while grinding.

Yes people I am an exp grinder but I don't do it to be op I just find that the most fun I have playing games is when I train my character hard and end up being able to deal with the bosses like any self respecting mc in an anime should (except ichigo because we all know there's not a single power that he doesn't have hidden inside him somewhere, I'm not hating on him just sayin, I love bleach too.)

• 2 months later...
Guest Jupiter

I'm an old school gamer. Played all the old Final Fantasy titles on the PlayStation 1. Loved Final Fantasy 7 and Legend of the Dragoon. Epic and classic games. :)

Guest Jupiter
Final Fantasy VII... I'm still hoping/waiting for a HD remake. ;)

Sorry, I don't believe that is going to ever happen.As much as I loved the game. Square made the announcement back when Advent Children had been released that they weren't interested in remaking a successful game that is still selling today. The most they did was port it over to the PS3 and are porting it over to the PS4 "as is".

Kitase has said in many articles that it will never see a remake. People still asks, so he directly avoids the question with an off the wall answer.Mainly today he just isn't motivated enough to do it. He did mention another gaming corporation could buy the rights and remake it, but I doubt it would do any good since it wouldn't be by Square.

“Look, I would love for Square to work on a remake of Final Fantasy VII, but that is no longer an option,” reminisced Kitase, “To be honest, I can not picture an outcome where a remake of Final Fantasy VII will be better than the original as long as Square Enix is behind it. Have you played Lightning Returns? Even I thought that game would not receive good reviews and I produced it.”

Reporters were shocked that Kitase would be so blasé about disparaging the company that he worked for. Others were not so surprised.

“I pretty much have immunity,” remarked Kitase, “They can not fire the man who directed Final Fantasy VII. That is like firing Miyamoto from Nintendo. The last thing Square Enix needs is headlines about firing the guy who helped direct Chrono Trigger. People still remember that as a good game. Will people rememberRise of Mana as a good game? The answer is no in case you were wondering.”

He then elaborated on his thoughts about a potential Final Fantasy VII remake and who he would want to work on this treasured title.

“Anybody but Square Enix would be fine,” said Kitase, “Even bad developers would be acceptable because they would have respect for the franchise and rise to the occasion. Look around you. I am supposed to be promoting Rise of Mana right now. This is a free-to-play game on smartphone platforms that is supposed to be another landmark title in a franchise that is now even further ruined. However, I can not leave this company. Ito-san still needs a friend.”

Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda has said that this is some of the most positive attention Square Enix has received in the last few days.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/final-fantasy-vii-director-says-he-will-approve-a-remake-only-if-square-enix-does-not-make-it/

"I can honestly tell you I would love to do that," he replied. "If you simply ask me if I personally would like to do that, yes I would. Definitely. There's no lie about it. But you must believe me when I say it would take a lot to happen."

Kitase mentioned "staff availability and budget" as two major barriers to the project being greenlit. This tallies with comments Kitase made in 2010, when he said in order to remake Final Fantasy 7 to the quality of Final Fantasy 13 it would take three or four times longer than it took to develop the divisive PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game.

But there's another major barrier to the project being greenlit: Kitase's personal motivation to create it.

"Even if I casually say I would like to do that, because it would be a huge project I would have to motivate myself to the level that I really am prepared to take on this huge responsibility," he said.

"I don't know if those three things will happen simultaneously. It has to tick lots of very big boxes. I won't rule out the possibility, but it would take a lot to make it happen.

"But should I ever take it on, it would have to be the biggest project I've done. My life work. So I would have to be as highly motivated as that to end up with something I'm very happy with. It's a huge thing for me."

"Should I ever take it on, it would have to be the biggest project I've done. My life work. So I would have to be as highly motivated as that to end up with something I'm very happy with. It's a huge thing for me"

Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase

Meanwhile, as Final Fantasy 10 and 10-2 are getting the HD remake treatment, some have wondered whether Final Fantasy 12 is next in-line for a fresh coat of paint. "I haven't heard there is a plan," Kitase said of the potential project. "It depends on the team who created 12. If they think it's a good idea they might opt for it."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-17-a-chat-about-that-final-fantasy-7-remake

http://tay.kotaku.com/stop-waiting-for-a-final-fantasy-vii-remake-1668392308

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/06/final-fantasy-7-coming-to-the-ps4-not-a-full-remake/