RPG or First person game?

Lelouch

Hey guys give your opinion on wether you play RPG games or first person games 

I'll start I play both depending on my mood though I'm big final fantasy fan and call of duty 

,black ops zombies/ multiplayer what about you guys..... 

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

I've played both types a bunch, both separately and combined.  I guess the first was probably Wizardry and Akalabeth on the Apple ][.  Akalabeth was mostly like Ultima, but it had an extremely lame (by today's standards) wire-frame gfx underground so there was a 3d/first-person element.  Ultima itself.  There was the original Dungeon Master on the Amiga, I played the heck out of that.  The stereo sound was actually used to great effect to place the monsters spatially when you couldn't see them.  Playing it with headphones late at night was pretty immersive, and guaranteed a jump-scare or two.  :)  I've played things like the original Final Fantasy or Harvest Moon on the gameboy, and Golden Sun on the gba.  Doom on several platforms.  Quake.  Etc.  Etc.

Non-FPS RPGs (Golden Sun, etc.) are good the first time through, but replay value is generally low.  I tend to prefer the 3D/FPS games, but lately there seems to be a definite trend towards battle royal or arena style game play in the multiplayer versions and I'm not a big fan of that.  Playing alone is fine for the first playthrough, but after that it gets boring like non-FPS, single-player RPGs.  Playing with other players gives it more replay value, but I'm not into the shoot-or-be-shot PvP thing.  Not that I mind a bit of PvP, but I'm more into the PvE & co-op play of things like Minecraft.  I've been playing that since Mojang/Notch, and I still play it a lot even today.  I guess that's my final answer.  :D 

RPGs, since many FPS games are not friendly for one handed play, not to mention I like playing alone.

35 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

Non-FPS RPGs (Golden Sun, etc.) are good the first time through, but replay value is generally low.

I agree with this one. RPGs do not have that great of a replay value, but DQ 3 and 5 seem to be an exception, since you can customize your party or even solo the game and things are a little different in DQ 5, depending on who you choose to be your wife, especially in party chat I hear.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, brycec said:

RPGs, since many FPS games are not friendly for one handed play, not to mention I like playing alone.

The other problem with FPS is they're not good any time you have to be able to deal with an intrusive real world at a moment's notice.  :D  Especially the online, multiplayer games I have to block out time to play them because I know I won't be able to deal well with interruptions while I'm playing.  RPGs or single-player stuff where you can hit the pause button any time you like are much more compatible with RL in that respect.

24 minutes ago, brycec said:

DQ 3 and 5 seem to be an exception

RPGs are getting better at providing multiple playthrough paths and better replay value, true.  I don't think they'll ever get as much replay as a good multiplayer FPS though.  Of the RPGs I've seen, even the best ones only have maybe half a dozen really unique playthrough paths.  With a sandbox game like minecraft half the fun is doing your own thing.  Add multiplayer and the social aspect and that effect just gets multiplied.

• Agree 1

RPGs hands down. Many have multiple endings which increase replay value and the stories are just fun and less stressful. FPS require practice to maintain proficiency in and that's a lot of time to spend on a game. 

• Like 1

My tendency is towards games that are both. Fallout (from 3 on), Borderlands, Elder Scrolls (you don't shoot guns but close enough), Far Cry ( from 3 on it sort of got RPG mechanics tho I don't know about the latest), and similar such games usually draw me in the most. So much more immersive to me when it is first person and really sucks me in.

RPG hands down without question. Not that there aren't some good fps games like Gears of War, and Halo series there is just so much more better RPGs series in particular JRPGs.