Black Mesa - Source Mod

Optic

Black Mesa is a mod that was announced almost 8 years ago back in 2004! It was meant to be a fully fledged remake of Half-Life 1 using the Source engine. Some of you may have played Half Life: Source, Valve's take on trying to remake it was pretty average with just a few textures swapped over, hardly utilising the physics engine at all.

And it finally came out! So did they succeed? Yes! I've played up to reaching the surface so far when you encounter the military up near the surface. Voice acting is humorous and bizarre at the same time. Great music remixes. Yes the Source engine is almost 5 years old now but it looks GREAT compared to the original Half-Life 1 engine. Annoying but refreshing returning to HP instead of regenerating health too... :cool:

For a free 8 GB mod, it's hard to go wrong. Discuss. ;)

http://release.blackmesasource.com/

• 2 years later...

My laptop can more or less run it, and I have a 64MB HP Family Graphics card, which is about as bad as it gets.

But anyways, this game is so amazing words fail me. Half Life is my favorite FPS series, so having a remake of the original is great. So much work went into this and it was so well made, yet it is totally free too. I'd very easily drop $20 for this personally.

• 5 months later...

So as it turns out, you can now get this as a standalone game on Steam. It isn't free however, it costs $20 I believe. Completely worth it though I think with how well it has turned out... and it isn't even completely done yet.