Optic

Seeing how I have a long list of ingredients to avoid

1. high fructose corn syrup
  2. monosodium glutamate
  3. aspartame
  4. sucralose
  5. acesulfame potassium
  6. neotame

please recommend me Japanese snacks that do not have those. I honestly have sworn off Pocari Sweat because of HFCS.

Edited by Guest

please recommend me Japanese snacks that do not have those. I honestly have sworn off Pocari Sweat because of HFCS.

That's quite a tall order. I recognise 1, 2 and 4. So basically no MSG, high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners?

I would work backwards, take a look at some of the snacks here at White Rabbit Japan and pick something that looks good. They have basic allergen information and nice high quality images of the packaging, both front and back which may help to list the ingredients. You'd have to translate them from Japanese manually though.

On another note...

The Japanese sure do love their exquisite Kit Kat flavours don't they? (o^.^o)

Kit Kat Shinshu Apple looks and sounds rather tasty:

kit-kat-shinshu-apple_7401.jpeg.6effff8610739818bcb615362efb8bc0.jpeg

I've tried Ichigo and Green Tea Kit Kat before, which were pretty good. Now if only I can find a place to import these at a not so expensive price..

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pocky. All kinds of pocky. I guess this is a really tropey thing to say but I really, really love that stuff.

When I discovered pocky, I had nothing but pocky for every snack for the next few years. My favorite ways to eat pocky -

• Frozen, CRUYNCCCH
  • Dipping in all manner of sugary things (frosting?)
  • With milk
  • With milk chocolate
  • WITH MILK CHOCOLATE WITH MARSHMALLOWS DURING WINTER TIME

• Winner 1

Pocky. All kinds of pocky. I guess this is a really tropey thing to say but I really, really love that stuff.

When I discovered pocky, I had nothing but pocky for every snack for the next few years. My favorite ways to eat pocky -

• Frozen, CRUYNCCCH
  • Dipping in all manner of sugary things (frosting?)
  • With milk
  • With milk chocolate
  • WITH MILK CHOCOLATE WITH MARSHMALLOWS DURING WINTER TIME

what

YES @ THE LAST TWO

WHY HAVE I NOT TRIED THIS

• 2 months later...
Anything good that isn't chocolately? I'm allergic to cacao bean, of all things...

Yikes, that stinks.

You can find strawberry or vanilla-flavored Pocky and Hello Panda (matcha Pocky is pretty bomb too). I really like Yan Yans, too (http://www.meijiamerica.com/products/yan-yan.html) :D Though I always try to conserve the cream and then I run out of biscuit. Dagnabit, this thread makes me hungry. >:c

• 1 month later...

They sell some here where I live like about 4 different kinds only at one store where I live.. Pocky is the only one I know the most that can be from Japan. My Japanese grandma gets a lot from my uncle in California though from some market. All kinds of goodies snacks and candies. There is this one like pop rocks I can't remember the name of it but looks all colorful and sorta like pop rocks from the USA. Very good stuff I think. Though I wish I knew the name of it... ^^; 

20 minutes ago, SleepyLeoulf said:

They sell some here where I live like about 4 different kinds only at one store where I live.. Pocky is the only one I know the most that can be from Japan. My Japanese grandma gets a lot from my uncle in California though from some market. All kinds of goodies snacks and candies. There is this one like pop rocks I can't remember the name of it but looks all colorful and sorta like pop rocks from the USA. Very good stuff I think. Though I wish I knew the name of it... ^^; 

Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps what you are thinking of is Konpeito?

300px-Kompeito_konpeito.JPG

• Friendly 1

• 1 month later...

Japanese snacks are great! Pocky and Koala March are two of my favorites. So far I've tried chocolate, strawberry, banana chocolate, and matcha flavored Pocky, all of which were amazing. There's a cookies and cream one, but that doesn't really interest me. However, online I've been able to find a chocolate azuki flavored Pocky, which I really want to try. I absolutely love anko, so I'll have to splurge and order it someday.  I also loved steamed anko or pork buns.

On my birthday, back in August, I gave myself a break from my diet (trying to reverse fatty liver disease, so strict diet) and I went to an Asian market and there were so many amazing looking Japanese snacks! I wanted all of them. I ended up getting ube flavored mochi, and it was amazing! Delicious, and not too sweet. I'm almost at my goal weight, so once my diet isn't so strict I want to treat myself to different Japanese snacks on occasion. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried pocky before, we got it in at my work a couple of times. Other than that I haven't tried anything. I did notice last night while looking up varion loot style crates to buy that one site has a Japanese food box which seemed interesting to try.