Photography

Beocat

So, photography is art to me. A lot of thought goes into taking a picture. Background, lighting, subject matter, angles, zoom, contrast...  I also am interested in astrophotography but it will be quite a while before I can do any of that. Sadly, the only time I am able to use a good camera (and not my cellphone) is when I borrow my husband's expensive camera (a gift from me for his birthday one year). Thus, many of my good pictures are still very meh. 

Does anyone else here consider themselves an amateur photographer as far as art is concerned? I actually got some great pictures today of the island horses with his camera (was supposed to be conserving the battery for class photos...oops!). Maybe if I have time tonight I'll pull them off and post one or two. 

• Love it! (Daisuki) 2

@The History Kid I really like that shot. We don’t get snow much here, so I’d rarely see something like that IRL.

I’ve captured lots of beach/ water and mountain pics from the US, Switzerland, and Costa Rica - Unfortunately they are all on my laptop. I’ll share them when it’s back up and running again 😊

• Like 1

@The History Kid that is beautiful! And actual snow too! Here we get ice...looks like snow from the windows but you walk on top of it and don't sink in lol. But beaches, got plenty of them. I too am best at macro shots. I had a few macro shots that won awards at the local aquarium back when they did the contests. With the class photos, I just try to catch people in a candid style, smiling and having fun. Those are usually the best photos anyways. And hard to get. But, random shots of old trawlers and gulls and the occasional macro shot when something catches my eye is mostly what I do.

You should try oil painting. It is much more forgiving than sketching, believe me. ;)

• Like 1

@IIVIsouljamI’m sorry to hear about the anxiety that has plagued your mind. I’ve had those feelings at work before and are definitely hard to push through with a smile, especially if you’ve got a lot of people expecting great things from you, that just adds to the stress. It seems you’ve got a good thing going on freelance though, so that counts. I’d definitely call you a pro for putting yourself out there on your own. That’s amazing actually to get somewhere on your own and not through connections (that you shy away from). 

Good luck in the future. 

I would certainly agree that it is art. By its very nature it is a art form. I am not much of a photographer though. I have taken some decent quality pics of nature on my phone, but nothing out of the coronary.

Edited by ArchieKun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 5:11 AM, Beocat said:

I also am interested in astrophotography but it will be quite a while before I can do any of that.

What gear do you need for astro photography? I think they're expensive right? I'm just curious.

And wow!! You guys take beautiful photos. Some of you can be considered semi pros. 

I've always wanted to get into photography when I was young. I've always enjoyed things that were creative. So photography was a no brainer.

I started with my mom's point and shoot camera. I was still a kid.

I remember I even had friends who would make fun of me. They would look at the photos I took and would ask me, Why are you taking pictures of things? You should take photos of people?

They didn't understand what photography was. They thought cameras were just for capturing events and people.

A few years ago I decided to purchase a basic low end Canon DSLR. And that's when I really got into it more.

I'm a hobbyist though. I don't shoot as much as I should.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

What gear do you need for astro photography? I think they're expensive right? I'm just curious.

I've done some decent pictures of events such as transits (when one body passes in front of another) with my iPhone.  Any camera that can take long exposures can take interesting photos of the night sky.  

The general problem though is that stars are small and dim.  To collect enough photons you need exposures that are long enough that the star(s) that you are trying to take pictures of will move in the field of view unless you have some sort of tracking mount.  To make the image big enough you'll need a telescope with enough magnification to zoom in to the level of detail you want to see.  

That's a pretty deep rabbit hole.  If you just want pictures of large, bright objects like the sun or lunar craters then a small tabletop telescope and an adaptor for a regular camera might do the trick.  If you want detailed, full color images of small, faint nebulae then you'll need a good telescope on a nice motorized equatorial mount at least.  

If you're really serious you'll probably want a dedicated CCD eyepiece connected to a computer instead of a separate camera as well, along with some star-tracking software that feeds back into the telescope mount's drive to minimize drift, and probably some other software to take a series of images from the CCD and merge them to enhance detail and color.

Yeah, it can get expensive.  :)  

• Informative 1

22 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

It's pretty much as @efaardvark said, though I'm pretty sure most everyone these days start by sticking thier phone up to the telescope lens trying to get a shot on thier phone for facebook. :) most bright sights, like lunar or large planet views can be captured on your phone that way, but for high quality photos, you need a way to mount your camera to your scope, an automated tracking mount for the scope, and a little bit of technical knowhow and patience. Still, most people I know started with a quick shot on their phone and got hooked :)

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 6:11 PM, Beocat said:

So, photography is art to me. A lot of thought goes into taking a picture. Background, lighting, subject matter, angles, zoom, contrast...  I also am interested in astrophotography but it will be quite a while before I can do any of that. Sadly, the only time I am able to use a good camera (and not my cellphone) is when I borrow my husband's expensive camera (a gift from me for his birthday one year). Thus, many of my good pictures are still very meh. 

Does anyone else here consider themselves an amateur photographer as far as art is concerned? I actually got some great pictures today of the island horses with his camera (was supposed to be conserving the battery for class photos...oops!). Maybe if I have time tonight I'll pull them off and post one or two. 

My sister wants to be a photographer, she is saving up for like a $250 camera. 

On 4/29/2019 at 9:40 AM, LonelyPoet said:

I really like how some things look in black and white. Here are some alien looking trees.

doorofperception.com-beth_moon-ancient_trees-3.jpg

Woah, those tree's are magnificent! They are just so whimsical, almost like their from a fantastical alien planet. Beautiful :'D 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 7:40 AM, LonelyPoet said:

I really like how some things look in black and white. Here are some alien looking trees.

doorofperception.com-beth_moon-ancient_trees-3.jpg

I didn't notice this before, but I think this tree is one found on a north African island in south med sea. I do agree though it looks amazing in black and white.

2 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I didn't notice this before, but I think this tree is one found on a north African island in south med sea. I do agree though it looks amazing in black and white.

It's definitely African looking, but I'm not sure of the specific place.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:34 AM, efaardvark said:

I've done some decent pictures of events such as transits (when one body passes in front of another) with my iPhone.  Any camera that can take long exposures can take interesting photos of the night sky.  

The general problem though is that stars are small and dim.  To collect enough photons you need exposures that are long enough that the star(s) that you are trying to take pictures of will move in the field of view unless you have some sort of tracking mount.  To make the image big enough you'll need a telescope with enough magnification to zoom in to the level of detail you want to see.  

That's a pretty deep rabbit hole.  If you just want pictures of large, bright objects like the sun or lunar craters then a small tabletop telescope and an adaptor for a regular camera might do the trick.  If you want detailed, full color images of small, faint nebulae then you'll need a good telescope on a nice motorized equatorial mount at least.  

If you're really serious you'll probably want a dedicated CCD eyepiece connected to a computer instead of a separate camera as well, along with some star-tracking software that feeds back into the telescope mount's drive to minimize drift, and probably some other software to take a series of images from the CCD and merge them to enhance detail and color.

Yeah, it can get expensive.  :)  

We've had an Observatory in our school - like, a really big one - and the people in our Astro-Club sometimes took long exposure shots of stars,  certain astrological objects and events (Can't say I know that much about this kind of stuff - more on the engineering side of things when it comes to space and physics) with their phone through the giant telescope. (The observatory was basically one part of our school with it's own tower and it had to be rotate mechanically - so yeah, the telescope was huge). But with the correct camera lens, a tripod, a lonely place on top of a mountain with no towns nearby and a clear night you can get some nice shots of the stars without fancy equipment. I did some a few years ago  when we went hiking for a few days.

I used to do photography more frequently, I hardly ever do it lately, mostly of landscapes and birds. Unfortunately I basically lost all my files on my windows system, including every photo I ever took so yeah - I have nothing to show for...

(at least I now have a reason to completely free myself from windows )

Edited by leinwandname
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, leinwandname said:

We've had an Observatory in our school - like, a really big one

You wouldn't be from Nogishiro High School would you?  :D 

image.png.09c51a22742b43123f6628a48a28b214.png

[mal type=anime id=6098]

@efaardvark

Never seen this anime but  the observatory looked something like that, except in white. (granted, observatories can't look that much different 😁)

Maybe I'm the protagonist of the anime of a different universe? Or the goofy, dumb side character?

Edited by leinwandname

4 minutes ago, leinwandname said:

goofy, dumb side character

If we're still talking the anime then that would definitely be Edogawa:D He's actually member of the photography club (for dubious reasons), but he's always hanging out with the astronomy club.

9 hours ago, efaardvark said:

If we're still talking the anime then that would definitely be Edogawa:D He's actually member of the photography club (for dubious reasons), but he's always hanging out with the astronomy club.

He already has that goofy look, although these kind usually have spiky, blonde hair and a crush on their red haired class mate 😁

I would prefer to be a different Edogawa though - older than he looks, witty and famous with the ladies 😂

• 5 months later...