Motorcycles are bad?

LonelyPoet

I've been trying to save up to buy a motorcycle for a few months now (I've only got about 500 dollars saved so far lol) but every time I say I'm going to get one everyone says it's dangerous and I shouldn't get one. It be fine if it was just my mom saying that because she says everything is dangerous; I don't take her seriously anymore. This time though everyone seems to think driving a motorcycle is a bad thing. It never really seemed that dangerous to me as long as you ride responsibly and stay off of busy highways. Do any of you have opinions about motorcycles? What do you think of peopride motorcycles? Are they extremely dangerous?

• Like 1

Everything is dangerous driving a car or motorcycle in my opinion if u want to get one go for it just be safe cause there are too many people that don't know how to drive I'm not trying to discourage you just stating my opinion on the subject matter 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lelouch said:

Everything is dangerous driving a car or motorcycle in my opinion if u want to get one go for it just be safe cause there are too many people that don't know how to drive I'm not trying to discourage you just stating my opinion on the subject matter 

I agree. Whether is a car or a motorcycle they are both pretty dangerous, one more than the other but it still depends ones safe you're driving. I want a motorcycle myself, though rather than buying it I'm gonna make it from scratch. A Harley Davidson, a pure beauty.

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

So I’ve got 2 friends who suffered severe damage to their bodies and brains from motorcycle accidents, and know of one person who was run over in traffic (minding his own business) and got killed. One of my friends who was in a coma and suffered bodily scars and brain damage went off into a construction zone because the road suddenly ended. Sometimes those things come up, and it’s lucky there aren’t more addicents because of them, but even in my relatively small town, when construction on roads is being done or even random junk is in the road or there was a fender bender - people have to immediately react to change their speed and or swerve out of the way to avoid a collision. Some people would argue that a bike would be easier to pass such an accident or road block, but it’s not as safe to do split second maneuvers on a bike, it takes a lot more awareness and control of your body whereas in a car you can just slam on the breaks and not have to worry too much. 

If you do decide to get one, highways aren’t the most unsafe place, there are a lot less obstacles on highway, it’s mostly stop and go traffic that is the problem. I’d say there are more accidents in the city, and cause more problems especially with crowding. If you’re afraid of speed of a highway and losing control of your bike, then perhaps it’s not a good choice for you anyway. Maybe get a Polaris 3 wheeler (spider?)instead - they look safer.

• Like 1

I would be lying if I said I did not agree that they kinda are bad, or at least load. They tend to annoy me when I am out walking, and nothing against bikers themselves  I just don't like load leeches quizzing by of any kind. With this said this dose not mean by any means that motorcycles are inherently bad, or good. I just personally do not like them.

5 hours ago, Seshi said:

So I’ve got 2 friends who suffered severe damage to their bodies and brains from motorcycle accidents, and know of one person who was run over in traffic (minding his own business) and got killed. One of my friends who was in a coma and suffered bodily scars and brain damage went off into a construction zone because the road suddenly ended. Sometimes those things come up, and it’s lucky there aren’t more addicents because of them, but even in my relatively small town, when construction on roads is being done or even random junk is in the road or there was a fender bender - people have to immediately react to change their speed and or swerve out of the way to avoid a collision. Some people would argue that a bike would be easier to pass such an accident or road block, but it’s not as safe to do split second maneuvers on a bike, it takes a lot more awareness and control of your body whereas in a car you can just slam on the breaks and not have to worry too much. 

If you do decide to get one, highways aren’t the most unsafe place, there are a lot less obstacles on highway, it’s mostly stop and go traffic that is the problem. I’d say there are more accidents in the city, and cause more problems especially with crowding. If you’re afraid of speed of a highway and losing control of your bike, then perhaps it’s not a good choice for you anyway. Maybe get a Polaris 3 wheeler (spider?)instead - they look safer.

That's really good to consider. I'm mostly concerned about the speed on the highway and being hit by bigger cars. I'm thinking about weather it's worth it or not. I don't want to be around a lot of other cars. I might just wait till I can move out further into the country. 

5 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I would be lying if I said I did not agree that they kinda are bad, or at least load. They tend to annoy me when I am out walking, and nothing against bikers themselves  I just don't like load leeches quizzing by of any kind. With this said this dose not mean by any means that motorcycles are inherently bad, or good. I just personally do not like them.

What do you mean by "load leeches quizzing"

1 hour ago, LonelyPoet said:

What do you mean by "load leeches quizzing"

All I really meant was I find them to be rather load and I don't particularly like it.

The best thing about standing at a traffic light is making funny faces at people but when you add a Helmet the effect Is nullified

No I dont hate them, Yes It could be dangerous but its more about what you do when you're on it.

Edited by Humbby
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Humbby said:

The best thing about standing at a traffic light is making funny faces at people but when you add a Helmet the effect Is nullified

No I dont hate them, Yes It could be dangerous but its more about what you do when you're on it.

The making funny, or silly faces part happens very often even if someone is on the sidewalk walking next to the street. I see at least 3 bikers dayly when I walk in the warmer half of the year.

• Like 1

The closest thing I've had to a motorcycle was a 50cc moped/scooter, but even that thing was super fun. I can only imagine something with more oomph. 

I say go for it. Yeah, they're more dangerous than a car, just make sure to be smart and be safe. 

What kind of bike do you have your eyes on?