Chrome - Memory Reduction

drill

Now, as we all know, Chrome (and most chromium based browsers) are completely fat, and take up a ton of RAM. I have gone through Chrome up and down editing tons of stuff, and have even broken the browser, and needed to reinstall because of it. I have finally come across an extension that solves the solution that works automatically, and has relatively little impact on how you use the browser. At the same time you can almost guarantee that you won't exceed 1 GB of RAM using Chrome again.

The extension is called The Great Suspender. The way that it works is that it suspends a tab after a given amount of time that can be set in the settings, and can even be auto refreshed when the tab is activated again, which will cost you maybe one second of your time unless you are on dial-up (sadly, I still remember the days of dail-up, those where dreadful, dreadful days :P) Anyway, I think that it is a great extension that you should try out if you use a chromium based browser.

• Informative 1

So, yet another Chrome extension that fits my way of browsing the web much more. Tab Wrangler is an extension that can automatically close your tabs after a set amount of inactivity, you can easily reopen them, as it saves all the tabs it closes, as well as set urls that it won't close.

• 3 months later...

I am a Chrome user and realized how much RAM it takes; especially since I have both photoshop and sai installed as well. I never knew about the two extensions and have installed it. Thanks so much for this awesome stuff!

• 1 month later...

So, I went back to using Torch again, but I was kinda ticked off by Chrome's massive resource usage in comparison. Normally, I would just use Opera, but Opera looks like crap in Windows 10 as they are referencing APIs that don't exist, or something of that nature. :P Anyway, The Great Suspender actually doesn't work that well anymore, and the developer won't really do anything about it, so I decided to go out on my own and find an alternative. Fortunetly, I found something much better than it. It is called Tab Suspender. It works really nicely in that you can suspend tabs after a certain amount of time and even auto close them, have auto refresh, and even whitelist sites. I have notices that whitelisting https sites doesn't work and also it doesn't seem to have good memory management as it will still use around the amount it was using before you closed all your suspended tabs.

• 3 weeks later...