Oldest Favorite Series

ssjup81

Probably Neon Genesis Evangelion

Legend of the galactic heroes

Ranma 1/2

Cowboy bebop

Berserk

A lot of people are mentioning shows from 2002-2007 era. Would you even consider that old?

Maybe I have a different ideology about the term "Old".

King of the hill was awesome so I'd say that one

• Like 1

King of the hill was awesome so I'd say that one
I was referring to Japanese anime. lol. That aside, King of the Hill was a good series.

• 2 weeks later...

Another original Lupin III fan reporting in. (y)

I also love all of the older Gundam series starting with the original that started in 1979. I also love Saint Seiya (1986) and the Dragon Ball series (1989). Those are my older retro favorites but I do enjoy watching some of the older anime.

I can also see by this thread that I am getting older. I started watching anime in the early to mid 90's and people are listing series that came out only 10 years ago. :D

Edited by Guest

I also love all of the older Gundam series starting with the original that started in 1979. I also love Saint Seiya (1986) and the Dragon Ball series (1989). Those are my older retro favorites but I do enjoy watching some of the older anime.

I can also see by this thread that I am getting older. I started watching anime in the early to mid 90's and people are listing series that came out only 10 years ago. :D

I'm wondering if we're close to the same age, but in a way kind of doubt it since you said mid-90s. Who knows. lol I'd been watching animated stuff from Japan since the 80s...albeit unknowingly. Stuff like Voltron and G-Force, for example, I used to watch (against my will) with my older cousin who was really into those shows, when I really wasn't. I also used to watch the imported Japanese series that Nickelodeon used to show in the 80s like Noozles (Fushigi na Blinky), Mysterious Cities of Gold (Taiyou no Ko, Esteban), Maya the Bee (MItsubachi Maya no Bouken), Grims Fairy Tale Classics (Grim Meisaku Gekijou), Maple Town (Maple Town Monogatari), Adventure of the Little Koala (Koala Boy Blinky), etc.
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if we're close to the same age, but in a way kind of doubt it since you said mid-90s. Who knows. lol I'd been watching animated stuff from Japan since the 80s...albeit unknowingly. Stuff like Voltron and G-Force, for example, I used to watch (against my will) with my older cousin who was really into those shows, when I really wasn't. I also used to watch the imported Japanese series that Nickelodeon used to show in the 80s like Noozles (Fushigi na Blinky), Mysterious Cities of Gold (Taiyou no Ko, Esteban), Maya the Bee (MItsubachi Maya no Bouken), Grims Fairy Tale Classics (Grim Meisaku Gekijou), Maple Town (Maple Town Monogatari), Adventure of the Little Koala (Koala Boy Blinky), etc.

After looking at your profile you are a few years older than me but same era. I remember watching voltron. Some other early series I remember were samurai pizza cats, speed racer and bubblegum crisis. I remember anime being limited and hard to find before the end of 90's. Back when I had to ride my bike to the comic book store and look to see what they had on vhs. Now we can stream episodes pretty much the day they come out in japan subbed. Oh how times have changed. :D

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also, movies like:

Akira

Macross II: Lover's Again

Ghost in the Shell

Grave of the Fireflies

And shows like:

Boogiepop Phantom, Outlaw Star, Big O, Vampire Princess Miyu, and Vandread (though it's from the early 2000s)

• 1 month later...

I will go with:

[spoiler=Natsuki Crisis OVA (1994)]

Natsuki loves martial arts, and a member of her high school karate club! A new student Rina, transfers to the school, and catches Natsuki's attention as someone she wants to befriend, however is rebuffed by Rina, before the two are suddenly attacked by a group of masked attackers, *starts singing "You are the mighty"*!

I actually thought it was an 80s anime, and had came out when I was born (1987), but apparently not! I like the energy of it, the music, the fact that there's apparently a wrestling style called "Catch-as-catch-can", and that the Karate Captain looks like Meep, if he was human, well that might be going a bit far!

The OVA only consists of two episodes, and bizarrely whilst Rina is able to relatively hold her own in the first episode, she becomes a damsel in distress in the second episode, with Natsuki steamming ahead in the fighting skills category!

anidb: Natsuki Crisis (OVA)

That said, now that I've found out that Natsuki Crisis came out in 1994, there's another contender for oldest favourite anime:

[spoiler=You're Under Arrest OVA (1994-1995)]

Kobayashi Miyuki is to receive a new patrol partner, Tsujimoto Natsumi, however their first meeting nearly ends in Miyuki arresting Natsumi for speeding! Eventually they are able to put aside their differences, and become strong partners!

I'll have to check how much of this I've watched, I know I've watched the OVA, Series 1 and 2, the movie, mini-specials and Series 2 Special in which Miyuki and Natsumi transfer to America, only to find American equivilants of their co-workers there, however I don't think I've watched Series 3 (Full Throttle)!

anidb: You're Under Arrest (OVA)

I'm now trying to see if there's any older anime I've watched, although I'd have to say the above are my oldest favourites:

• Detonator Orgun (1991): after finishing college, Tomoru Shindo can't decide whether to follow in his family's footsteps, and go into Interstellar shipping, or join the Earth Defence Force (EDF), he experiences strange dreams featuring mecha and an unknown woman, Youko(?), and he develops a crush on genetically engineered EDF researcher Professor Kanzaki - it was released by Manga Entertainment in the UK, and was good, I think, but wouldn't say my oldest favourite;
  • Vampire Princess Miyu OVA (1988): Miyu is destined to hunt down murderous demons known as Shinma and return them to the land of the dark, however she is pursued by spiritualist Himiko, determined to find out who Miyu is, and stop her sucking the blood of innocent humans - think I've watched this, but could be wrong, I know I've watched some of *a* Vampire Princess Miyu, perhaps it was the series, originally released in 1988;
  • Haja Taisei Dangaiou OVA (1987): a group of four young people with esper abilities, Mia Alice, Lamba Nom, Pai Thunder and Rol Kran have the ability to control a new super weapon/robot, Dangaioh - released by Manga Entertainment as "Dangaioh", was good, and originally in the year of my birth, have to watch it in the original sub, at somepoint, damn Classic range and their dub only tracks!

Oh wait... ENTER NEW CHALLENGERS(!!):

[spoiler=Gal Force: Eternal Story (1986)]

Two advanced civilisations, the Paranoids, a race of alien humanoids, and the Solenoids, an all-female race are locked in a war that has gone on for centuries! When the Solenoid fleet leaves the battle to defend an experimentally teraformed world by the Paranoids, one damaged Solenoid ship, the Starleaf is seperated from the fleet! Aboard are: Eluza, the Captain; Rabby, the take charge character; Luffy, the brash pilot; Catty, the mysterious science officer; Pony, the pink-haired ditzy tech; Patty, a reliable member of the crew; and Remy, the cute one!

anidb: Gall Force: Eternal Story

Oh wait, wrong Gall Force, although Rabby's bunny helmet is super cute! The first Gall Force arc, which includes Eternal Story, Gall Force 2: Destruction, and Gall Force 3: Stardust War is interesting, but I prefer the second arc:

Rhea Gall Force
and
Gall Force Chikyuu Shou
(both 1989) - the Solenoid and Paranoid races are long since dead, but their descendants survive on Earth, and have now inherited a bleak destiny predicted so many years before! Sandy, a young woman carries the guilt of her father's hand in the destruction of civilisation, however unknown to her, also carries the key to possible salvation!

Released by Manga Entertainment, under its Classic range, means that it was dub only in the UK, and also possibly incomplete, I remember the Manga Entertainment trailer reels saying something like "OVAs 1 - 4 available now, with OVAs 5 and 6 following shortly", which they never did, which put me off buying it, however given that OVA 5 and 6 would be
, I could live with out those episodes, it was like "how to mess up a good ending"!

anidb:
and

Like her ancestor, Sandy also sports a kind of rabbit-like helmet! The dub features inconsistent Scottish accents! There was another Gall Force anime after this arc, Gall Force: Revolution (1997), however was an alternate universe series, with a different animation style to that of the original series, it was a good series however!

[spoiler=Dirty Pair (1985)]

Yuri and Kei work as Trouble Consultants for the Worlds Works and Welfare Agency, usually shortened to 3WA, under the code name "Lovely Angels", however due to the destruction they leave in their wake, they're more commonly known as "Dirty Pair", just don't say it to their faces, *starts singing "Ru-ru-ru-russia[n] roulette"*!

Got into Dirty Pair thanks to ADV Films UK licensing Dirty Pair Flash, and although I watched the updated-alternate-universe-prequel first, I still think that the original is just as good, I personally don't know which I prefer, Flash Yuri and Kei, or original Yuri and Kei, I might need to rewatch all of Dirty Pair again to find that out!

That said, I did feel there were some discrepancies between the various original Dirty Pair stuff, in that sometimes Yuri would be the smart one, and other times Kei, and some of the stories repeated, but revolved around the other angel! The original series is pretty interesting with its fourth wall references, such as the first episode, where a computer displays the actors from the original series of Star Trek, or their names, anyway!

anidb: Dirty Pair

[spoiler=The Kabocha Wine (1982)]

Shunsuke feels that his masculinity is in danger, his family owns a lingerie store, so feels the only to save his masculinity is to transfer to a boys only school! He turns up for his first day of school, only to find it closed, a girl jumps down from a tree, and informs him that the school is closed for a holiday, and that she attends this school! Confused by this, the girl explains that the school has be come co-ed since last year! The girl introduces herself as Natsumi, but is usually referred to as Eru (L), standing up, it is revealed what L alludes to, she is quite tall!

Before Lovely Complex, Stand Up!, Haru x Kiyo, Giant Cinderella, Boku no Suki na Otokonoko, Kirakira Soda Chocolate, Popopo no Onee-san, 20 Senchi, Ooki Onnanoko wa Daisuki Desu ka?, Glamourous, Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki, Komori-san wa Kotowarenai! (Komori is taller, whilst Otani is shorter, yet their names are the reverse) Sket Dance (with Koma Morishita, didn't know, been meaning to get round to reading/watching it though), and to some extent: Super Dreadnought Girl 4946, Hitomi-sensei no Hokenshitsu, Nantsu no Taizai (sure you have Diane, but isn't Elizabeth taller too?), 1/8 Kanojo, Fatonic Love and Non Scale -stumbled onto "related" series-, there was The Kabocha Wine!

Read/glanced a couple of them:

• 20 Senchi: cute 4koma revolving around a short male mangaka and his tall female assistant;
  • Ooki Onnanoko wa Daisuki Desu ka?: ecchi manga about a female volleyball team - I'm rooting for Sanae/Captain and Shizuku, however now that certain things have been revealed, might go back to rooting for Ayano too;
  • Glamourous: cute manga, shame it got cancelled - Ogawa Tomoo doesn't know why Oomori Yuka would want to date a guy like him, so tries to sabotage their relationship;
  • Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki: cute manga revolving around Fujiyama and Kanba who have known each other since preschool, however after an incident at school, Kanba starts to look at Fujiyama differently, and asks her out;
  • Super Dreadnought Girl 4946: cute manga featuring unlucky in love Makoto, who saves a giantess, Mana, who then confesses her love to him, he then finds himself garnering the attention of a taller kouhai, Akemi, and a temporary exchange student, Montana;
  • Hitomi-sensei no Hokenshitsu: cute manga based around Hitomi, the school doctor, working at an all monster school, helping students (always(?) girls) of all forms - tall girls like Kyouko Ooki, small girls like Chisa Osanai, and even long tongued girls like Shitara Nobuko;
  • 1/8 Kanojo: ecchi manga featuring Asuha, who wakes to find herself in her childhood friend's room but at the size of a doll;
  • Fatonic Love: Mutsumi and Kaede are good friends, Mutsumi is tall, but plump, whilst Kaede is thin, but short;
  • Non Scale: cute doujin(?) featuring Tanita An who was already tall, but when she goes off sick from school, classmate Kashimi finds that due to the "Giant God Disease" has become 18 metres tall, with plants springing up all over her body!

I feel like after mentioning those series, someone might associate me as a *-con :|!

I only just stumbled upon this series, and after watching a couple of episodes, it feels like it's a contender for oldest favourite series! Shame only seven episodes were translated, I will have to track down the raw files :x, although in regards to raws, I don't know where to look! I did have a good site, at one time, but I don't think it recovered from the time FileServe axed all the content from its servers when MegaUpload was shut down!

anidb: The Kabocha Wine

Next follows three sections, the first are instances where I prefer the remake, and in one instance, if I had preferred the original, it would have beaten The Kabocha Wine as the oldest anime I've mentioned, so far, but possibly not as a favourite ;)! The second section will be honourable mentions, I couldn't really think what to say about them, but thought they had to be mentioned, and the third section is "are they really that old?"

[spoiler=It's an older code sir, I was just about to clear them]

We'll start with the "remakes are better" series, and from latest to earliest:

• Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995-1996) - in 2015, the Angels, huge, tremendously powerful, alien war machines, appear in Tokyo for the second time, and mankind's only hope lies in Evangelion, humanoid fighting machines developed by NERV, a special United Nations agency, only a handful of people can pilot the Evangelion, teenagers born fourteen years ago, nine months after the Angels first appeared;
  • Bubblegum Crisis (1987-1991) - recovering from a devastating earthquake, Mega-Tokyo's recovery is greatly attributed to Boomers, androids that look, think, and act like human beings, however the company responsible for creating the Boomers have grander plans than just rebuilding a city, enter the Knight Sabres, Linna Yamazaki, Nene Romanova, Priscilla S. Asagiri and Sylia Stingray, four women equipped with hardsuits with the courage and firepower to stand up against the Boomers and GENOM;
  • Kyoushoku Soukou Guyver (1986) - Sho Fukamachi discovers a mysterious metal object, in a blinding light, Sho finds himself fused with the Guyver, a mecha of mysterious alien design, to save his girlfriend, Mizuki Segawa and the world, he must become the Guyver, and battle against Chronos Corporation and their biocreatures, Zoanoids, hell-bent on world domination;
  • Space Battleship Yamato (1974-1975) - in the distant future, the war between humanity and the Gamilon has rendered the Earth's atmosphere uninhabitable, however they are provided with hope, when Queen Starsha of Iscandar reaches out to them, stating that there is a device on Iscandar that can neutralise the radiation, the crew of the Yamato have to achieve the trip to and from Iscandar within one Earth year, or the human race will come to an end!

As mentioned, I prefer the remakes to these series than the originals, these are Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22: You can (not) Advance, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (1998-1999), Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and Guyver the Bioboosted Armour (2005):

• [b}Neon Genesis Evangelion[/b] - Mari Illustrious Makinami not enough Horaki Hikari or Ibuki Maya, not really, although that would be nice, it was just that Shinji was a terrible character in the series, it seems like this was changed for the 2.22 as I found the movie quite enjoyable - although it's not described as a copy of Evangelion, there are a lot of similarities between RahXephon and Evangelion (although EvaXephon does take it to the extreme), and I personally feel it's a better version, plus having Shitow Megumi, Asahina Hiroko and Cathy McMahon doesn't hurt;
  • Bubblegum Crisis - it's possible that the reason I prefer the remake to the original here is because the remake has more time to flesh out a story, as it has twenty six episodes, rather than just eight, the original also was missing an ending, which came later in the form of Bubblegum Crash! (1991);
  • Kyoushoku Soukou Guyver - it's possible that I might watch the original OVAs at some point, I actually have to keep an eye on what I type, when typing the title of the remake, as sometimes it comes out as Biobusted, which I joke is Witchblade;
  • Space Battleship Yamato - in regards to this series, I think it's because it's a series of its time, there is only one female member of the Yamato crew, and she fills multiple roles, such as nurse, whilst in 2199, we have a full-time nurse, by the name of Harada Makoto, along with a female communications officer, science officer and pilot - pilots, if we expand to non-Yamato crew!

[spoiler=Honourable mentions]

I couldn't really think what else to say about them, again, from latest to earliest:

• Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko (1999) - two factions, TERRA and NESS are locked in a space war game to control planets in 2999 AD, they fight in spaceships that teleport the pilot back to the mothership upon destruction, resulting in no casualties, however the reflexes of people in the 30th Century have greatly deteriorated, so a TERRA engineer, Curtis Lawson decides to use a time machine to go back 1000 years, and recruit Yamamoto Yohko, Kagariya Momiji, Hakuhouin Ayano Elizabeth and Midou Madoka to aid in their cause;
  • Cutey Honey (1973-1974) - Honey Kisaragi is not your average 16 year old girl, she has a penchant for getting into trouble, one day she receives an odd message from her father, and returns to his laboratory, to find him murdered, by an organisation known as Panther Claw, who are after the Air Matter Transmutation System Dr. Kisaragi had been making, after defeating Panther Claw, Honey finds her father's conciousness in a robot facsimile, which informs Honey that she's a cyborg, created by Dr. Kisaragi, and that he had installed the Air Matter Transmutation System in her, allowing her to take on different personae;
  • Cyborg 009 (1966) - Shimamura Joe finds awakens to find he's been altered into a half machine by mysterious doctors. He escapes and finds 8 others like him, Franciose Arnoul, Ivan Whiskey, Jet Link, Albert Heinrich, Geronimo Jr., Chang Changku, Great Britain and Pyunma, and band together to fight the evil organization responsible for this inhuman act against them!

Two of these series have had a number of sequels/remakes to them, and the other received an honourable mention on the possibility that it's name is inspired from Space Battleship Yamato, however as I can't really think of more to say on that matter, I won't:

[spoiler=Older than I thought]

So now we look at series which are older than I expected, and start again from latest to earliest:

• R.O.D: Read or Die (2001) - Yomiko Readman is obsessed with books, however there is more to her than just her obsession with books, she is also a secret agency by the name of The Paper, working for a secret branch of the British Library, and able to control paper via telekinesis, browsing a local bookstore, she finds a new book she wishes to read, however it is stolen by I-Jin, clones of historical figures, identifying the book's importance, the British Library tasks Yomiko, along with Drake and Miss Deep with recovering it, before I-jin can use it to accomplish their goals;
  • Vandread (2000) - life has not been treating Hibiki well, with the intergalactic society broken into civil war between males and females, he is stuck at the assembly line for war mecha, relentessly teased by his co-workers and unable to pursue his dreams of building his own mecha, he attempts to break in and steal a mecha for his own purposes, which turns out to be a bad idea, as he's thrust into the middle of a fever-pitch space battle, bringing him face-to-face with the enemy, and launches him into an adventure where he encounters Dita Liebely, Jura Basil Eldon and Meia Grisborn;

• Betterman (1999) - in 2006 mankind encounters a mysterious Phenomenon called "Algernon", nothing is known about Algernon, and all people involved with Algernon are dead, one day, the mysterious phenomenon happened at an underground Amusement park where our hero Keita met our heroine Hinoki, driving "Kakuseijin", they encounter a lot of mysteries and monsters, such as what is Algernon, what is Betterman, and why does he help them;
  • Devilman Lady (1998-1999) - Fudou Jun is a beautiful supermodel who is idolized by many, but she has a dark secret that not even she knows about at first, for within her veins run the genes that hold the next step in the evolution of mankind, the same blood as the beastlike superhumans that terrorize the city, however unlike the rest of them, though, Jun has managed to hold a tenuous grip onto her humanity, and she is recruited by the mysterious Asuka Ran, member of a secret organization within the government, aimed at controlling, if not eliminating, these berserk destroyers of mankind;

• Martian Successor Nadesico (1996) - aliens have destroyed our base on Mars, wiped out our space fleets, and now, only one ship stands between Earth and total annihilation, disgusted by the incompetence of Earth's military, the independent arms manufacturer Nergal has built its own space battle cruiser, but due to the shortage of trained soldiers, they've had to assemble the most unorthodox crew to ever launch into orbit, a cook who's also a pilot and an admiral's daughter in command, the new starship is the most formidable fighting vehicle ever conceived;
  • 1+2=Paradise (1990) - a strange relationship develops between college-boy Yuusuke and the beautiful twins, Yuka and Rika, he saves from a wild dog, the girls fall for their dauntless hero, but Yuusuke is pathologically scared of women!

Read or Die has a sequel in the form of R.O.D; the TV, which follows Michelle, Maggie and Anita of the Three Sisters Detective Agency, as they protect writer Nene Sumiregawa whilst on a book tour in Hong Kong! Whilst Betterman is set in the same universe as Yuusha Ou GaoGaiGar!

After that long post, and looking at the contenders, I might say my oldest favourite anime might be The Kabocha Wine, shame only seven episodes were translated!

EDIT: I was going to say "how did I forget about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind(s)?" (1984), but then I thought, well the title does refer to "series", so that's probably why that didn't enter my mind, but that's a good oldie, with Joe Hisaishi providing the music!

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...

It's all a matter of time whether you want to spend your time with older animes or focus your whole attention to the new airing/newer animes.

Let's take into consideration, you got time: I would highly recommend you to watch older animes as well, drawings might be out of date but the plot is way better than some of the nowadays animes.

Kiba - it was 4-5 years ago, yeah quite long time ago when i watched this one but honestly, this is exactly the sort of anime which is worth of my time. Great plot.

ea8a8052347be6daaf82927daa151e2f.jpg.12fc438c85d8b21a2396e6e68b9e6dcd.jpg

Darker than Black - i guess most of the majority here watched this one, otherwise highly recommended.

tumblr_og0mddodJd1tvso1qo1_500.gif.81699576646f3db8561415559819d1ff.gif

I feel so old now...

Edited by Guest

YYASSSSSSS

As for me,

Revolutionary Girl Utena woild be mine. It was also my first back in like 1997ish.

Oh gosh, I forgot about this one. <3

As for me, some good ones:

Blue seed, Marmalade Boy, Tenchi Muyo!, Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho

• Like 1

Is Hellsing ultimate valid as an old one? To aru majutsu no Index.

I remember a anime when I was a kid called "músculo total" here in Brazil, I don't know the name in english, maybe total muscle, it was a good one, same years as Monster Rancher.

Edit: Shikabane Hime as well.

Edited by Guest

The oldest anime I've watched would be the original Gundam series, which was reasonably enjoyable. Beyond that, I've seen a fair number of things that came out in the 80s and early 90s... but... well... possibly shameful confession?

The oldest anime that I'd consider to be among my favorites is Princess Mononoke, from 1997. From there, Spirited Away from 2001 and Haibane Renmei in 2002. I have absolutely nothing against older shows, and have enjoyed plenty of them, but in general they don't really break into what I'd consider to be my favorites listing.

• Like 2

This is probably going to be one of the most utterly unsurprising and intensely unremarkable things that I ever say on this site. Alright, I'm braced. The oldest item on my list of favorite anime is Ghost in the Shell, the original movie in 1995.

This was actually really surprising to me (probably not to anyone else, lol), since I wasn't particularly fond of one of the bases for the GitS universe, Blade Runner. I just found Ghost in the Shell to be a pretty strong, multilayered treat that tackled artificial intelligence and the puzzles of existence a little better than anything that I've ever seen (anime and non-anime).

• Like 1

This is probably going to be one of the most utterly unsurprising and intensely unremarkable things that I ever say on this site.

But is it as uninspiring as the fact that I slept through the movie while you were watching it? :?

• Informative 1

• Geano locked this topic