Oldest Favorite Series

ssjup81

Hey all. This just popped into mind for me. Out of curiosity, what is the oldest series you've come across and enjoyed? I'm kind of into older series so most of the newer series many mention here I've never heard of or seen...so was just curious. ^^

For me, it would be the first Lupin III series. Green-jacket era Lupin. I love the 60s style of it and some of the music. I also liked Fujiko a lot more for it compared to the later series.

• Like 2

I don't usually watch old shows, but the oldest show that I watched and enjoyed would be Samurai Champloo which is in my top 10 favorite anime. It was just really well done with thought out characters and such. Plus there was no real plot that I could remember other than the underlining plot of looking for her father which was forgotten during many episodes. However, this wasn't a bad thing, as they kept the anime interesting throughout anyway. Just talking about it makes me want to rewatch it again, and perhaps I should as I think its been over a year since I watched it.

Well I'm not to sure if you can call them old but some of my favorite series are Inuyasha (released 2000) , Hajime no Ippo (released 2000) , Earth girl Arjuna (released 2001) , Eureka 7 (releases 2005) and Tsubasa Chronicle (released 2005) their all great series even if some of them are a bit dated.

Just so you know, we're all different ages here, and it's subjective. What's old to one may not be to some, but to that person it is. The question was, what's the oldest anime you've seen and truly liked? For me, I've seen other series that are old, like say Gigantor (Tetsujin 28) and original Speed Racer, and some of Hakushon Daimou, the first episode of Sazae-san (man what a difference between 1969 and how it is now) but I wouldn't consider them favorites or anything like that. The very first Lupin III series does that for me.

The ironic thing about these series I just mentioned, would've been around during my parents' time when they were kids. My father used to watch Gigantor and Speed Racer when both were new to the US.

I'm not sure if I can exactly pinpoint here an exact favorite when it comes to older series, but I wasn't young all that long ago comparatively so it seems like 1997 is as old is it can go for what anime I've watched (and I still consider that reeeaally old somehow), and I haven't really been as interested in pursuing them as newer stuff.

But I can actually say that I have, and still do, truly like Pokemon (1997) and Yu-Gi-Oh! (Duel Monsters 2000), for instance, and never truly grew out of them as I still enjoy what they put out now (more so Yu-Gi-Oh!, though)

More recently, it seems like only ones I liked that were even somewhat old that I really did come to love, included a rewatch, but this time subbed of Cardcaptor Sakura (1998), the other was my first experience with the anime of Angelic Layer (2001). It's weird because it's CLAMP for both of them. Not all their works have been hits for me but the other anime that came from them I watched sure were (Tsubasa & xxxHolic).

• 2 weeks later...

If we're talking about old in age: Serial Experiments Lain, Evangelion, Great Teacher Onizuka, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I really liked Lain and how warped that show was. Cyber punk stuff is always cool—if you've got related recs, shoot 'em over here. I liked Evangelion, but I think I enjoyed the movies more than the series. Great Teacher Onizuka and Yu Yu Hakusho were just really fun to watch and actually motivational.

I'm still trying to get into older animation. It's hard when some of the series are a few hundred episodes.

Relatively old ones that I liked were: Darker than Black, Blood+, Wolf's Rain, Ergo Proxy. I think of them as old because I haven't seen anything new from those series recently. I really liked DTB and I'm disappointed that they're not going to make more (AFAIK).

Interesting choices everyone. So no one have any favorites over the age of say about 30 or so. I'm the only weird one who loves 1969's Lupin III. lol

exactly
I mean literally 30. Curious how emperor got 40 out of that. The manga started in 1984 (31 this year) and the anime started in 1986 (29 this year).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're talking about old series that are no longer airing, probably Digimon Adventure. Then again, there's the reboot coming up.

If you're talking about old series that are still airing till this day, Detective Conan. And by that, I mean I really prefer the older episodes over the new ones. The new ones try to pander to the younger audience by making it more 'juvenile', especially with the fillers. It's kinda annoying.

My oldest would be Detective Conan.. :D

Man, that series' old. What's it been, almost 20 years? lol

I should probably check in on how the series has been doing. I only check in every so often just to see if they have an update on the Black Org. storyline again, the only storyline I'm interested in.

• Like 1

Man, that series' old. What's it been, almost 20 years? lol

I should probably check in on how the series has been doing. I only check in every so often just to see if they have an update on the Black Org. storyline again, the only storyline I'm interested in.

I just found out that that anime is way older than me!!

Probably Neon Genesis Evangelion

Legend of the galactic heroes

Ranma 1/2

Cowboy bebop

Berserk

A lot of people are mentioning shows from 2002-2007 era. Would you even consider that old?

Maybe I have a different ideology about the term "Old".

• 4 months later...

The oldest anime I can think of are the ones I used to watch as a kid: Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon, Hamtaro, Beyblade, Shaman King and others that I don't even remember anymore. Still, none of them are veeery old.... After I started watching anime regularly, the oldest one I've seen up to now is Elfen Lied (2004) and some studio Ghibli movies

• 4 weeks later...
  • Geano locked this topic